I HATE the stock suspension

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
FYI I have installed FSD's and H&R OE Sports. This lowered the car .75" in the front and 1" in the rear the car appears to be level now not raised up in the rear. This set up has been on the car for about 20k. If as has been said " You could wear them out prematurely and the warranty would be void." is yet to be seen. The car rides very comfortably and responsive. If you were to file a warranty claim on the dampers how would Koni know what springs you used? There is a video on MyTurbodiesl that explains how to replace shocks, struts, springs and he is installing Shine lowering springs with Koni FSD's.
That is good info! I too have a '15 Passat and that is my goal as well.....FSD's and OE sport springs eventually as I have only 28K on it. I do plan to, sooner than later, upgrade the RSB to the 24mm H&R.

BUT, I am curious to know if anyone has also complimented that bar with the H&R 26mm front? Yes, I want this car to handle. I had just a RSB on my '06 Jetta ( oh and, STR.t's with 235/45/17 Michelin PS's) and loved it's handling, but thought it needed a bit more help and considered a FSB too. I never, never had any sensations of the rear wanting to lose it's grip as too much RSB action can provoke. It still had plenty of understeer, and in any weather condition.

PS, I can't see the reasoning with the FSD's and a slightly lowered vehicle causing the strut/shock to wear out prematurely. Your not going to bottom out the strut/shock as you still have the OEM bump stops providing the same limitations. Now, I could see issues on a lifted vehicle where you could potentially top-out the shock.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just so you know, FSDs are no longer. Koni has replaced them with the same product in a different color and package, called Special Active. They're now red and boxed individually. Prices should be lower than FSDs, too. Same product inside. Most numbers should be available mid-June.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
PS, I can't see the reasoning with the FSD's and a slightly lowered vehicle causing the springs to wear out prematurely. Your not going to bottom out the strut/shock as you still have the OEM bump stops providing the same limitations. Now, I could see issues on a lifted vehicle where you could potentially top-out the shock.

I was not referring to wearing out the springs. I was referring to the dampers wearing out prematurely.:)
There has been some dicussion about FSD's needing full travel. So far for me there has been no issues.

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I was not referring to wearing out the springs. I was referring to the dampers wearing out prematurely.:)
There has been some dicussion about FSD's needing full travel. So far for me there has been no issues.
Yep, you're right....and I meant to write struts/shocks, I corrected my post above to avoid confusion. I still can't see how a .75-1" lower ride height will wear our a strut/shock where the strut/shock will stop (compress) at the original design stop? Help me understand the reasoning behind this. Thxs

EDIT: So....if I understand the rational behind the above highlight. The FSD/Special Active "need" full travel use or else they will wear out prematurely? That would mean anyone who drives on smooth roads will/should have warranty issues because they did not allow the strut/shock to utilize it's "full" range of motion. If a strut/shock piston/bore wears prematurely because it is only used "in a limited range of motion" vs. "full range of motion" then to me that is a design flaw making for a flawed product. Am I misunderstanding the this concept?

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Just so you know, FSDs are no longer. Koni has replaced them with the same product in a different color and package, called Special Active. They're now red and boxed individually. Prices should be lower than FSDs, too. Same product inside. Most numbers should be available mid-June.

And yes, that is correct...new "packaging" :D