Mileage and BuyBack Value

RCE1

TDI
Golf
Wondering what going over the projected mileage will do to my buyback value. I'm in the category of 65-70,000 miles with my 2011 Golf TDi, getting just over $20K. Since it's only August, there's a good chance I'll be over the 70,000 mile mark when I turn it it, whenever that is going to be.

Anybody have any idea what the penalty for going over the 70k mark will be? I've tried using the tables online, but haven't had much luck with it.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
You will need to estimate the month and year, of your buyback, count the number of months since September 2015 (don't count September 2015), multiply the number of months by 1042, subtract your estimated mileage at buyback, and the resulting mileage is what you look up in the online tables.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Nothing new here, but saying it in a different way:
VW is "giving" you 1042 miles per month. If you only do that mileage your value will remain the same.
Every 5,000 miles over or under the mileage you "should" have as of the day you turn the car in results in an adjustment. Fewer miles and you get more, more miles and you get less.

Each step for the mileage adjustment is different, based on year and model, as well as how far from the projected mileage. So, it is not the same amount per "step".

If you register your car at the settlement website, and put in when you plan to sell back the car, along with the mileage you expect to have at that time, it will give you the amount. That is the most accurate way to tell, and you can change the numbers as much as you like, until you submit the form. You don't need to submit the form until you are ready, it will save the info for your next visit.

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
i am at 175-180 range on 2010 sportwagen. my value was $11,975. so my vehicle is worth $6,875 and $5,100 for restitution. seems pretty lame and i'll probably just elect at fix and keep my car. seems like i'm not going to lose much value in my car over the years. it looks like i'm getting shafted on a buyback

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes, I guess getting twice what your car is worth is getting shafted. And having that value fixed for the next two years, so the car won't depreciate any more (other than for miles you drive over 12k/year) is getting shafted even more.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Yes, I guess getting twice what your car is worth is getting shafted. And having that value fixed for the next two years, so the car won't depreciate any more (other than for miles you drive over 12k/year) is getting shafted even more.
Dan people are not happy if they are not happy. You can't tell them how to
feel. I learned that the hard way. Yes the VW offer is fair and flexible. I
guess people wanted to be compensated for the full purchase price, all
expenses regardless of age or mileage. Of course the people with newer
low mile cars would scream bloody murder. The Euro folks are pissed as
are the 6 Cyl TDI gang, envious of what we got. Euro folks got a tube or
an ECU re-program fix that drops their performance/efficiency slightly,
no cash.

Last edited:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Some people wouldn't be satisfied if it included monthly sex with a super model. Me, I'm ecstatic, I get to keep an awesome car and get money. How often does that happen?
F the EPA.