05 Auto Trans Soleniod testing

rksiewert

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Anyone have an idea as to how to test the trans soleniods for function and a diagram for what each one does?
Thanks in advance!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Google search "ZF 5HP19" as that is the transmission that is in the car, plenty of info out there.

The solenoids are not high failure items. What problem are you trying to address?

rksiewert

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Car was running fine, then all of the sudden, had no gears whatsoever. Didnt go into limp mode or anything. Like in neutral. Dash indicator PRND432 colors inverted. Friend of mine came over and hooked up his (I think it is Vag Com) and it was reading trans fluid pressure and reading the gear selection as we moved it through when put in trip tronic/manual shifting. Showed no pressure going through the gears. TC was replaced by VW 30k miles ago. I pulled the pan, no chunks or slivers, cleaned everything, pulled the valve body, disassembled, cleaned and put back in. New fluid added, and all I get now (on my own OBDII reader) is P0730 Gear ratio incorrect and P0811 Clutch Slippage excessive.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Unless I'm mistaken, even with no solenoids working / no computer at all, you'll still get a single forward gear and reverse. So if you get no drive at all in any range, there's something mechanically wrong in the trans.

-J

rksiewert

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
You would think it would be mechanical, but there was no evidence of a sudden/ catastrophic failure. That is what is so strange - everything was fine one second, then the next - no gears at all. That is what is puzzling. The only thing I can think of would be a Torque Converter failure.

rksiewert

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Unless I'm mistaken, even with no solenoids working / no computer at all, you'll still get a single forward gear and reverse. So if you get no drive at all in any range, there's something mechanically wrong in the trans.

-J
I see you live in Springfield, Va. ! I was born and raised there. Went to WSHS, class of 1982. Moved away from NoVa about 12 years ago. Small world!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need the transmission replaced, or rebuilt.

Solenoids will not do that. No TCM at all will still allow the car to move in fixed 4th gear, no regulation (so harsh engagement) and reverse.

rksiewert

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
You need the transmission replaced, or rebuilt.

Solenoids will not do that. No TCM at all will still allow the car to move in fixed 4th gear, no regulation (so harsh engagement) and reverse.

I disconnected the TCM to see if anything would change, and the only change was that the shift indicator lights on the dash did not light up. Still no gears, forward or reverse. Any other suggestions?

One other observation- while filling the trans case, with the engine running, the pan on the trans remained cool, even when the engine oil pan was very warm to the touch. Like no fluid was circulating even in park.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Just for kicks i called the Steve white in greenville sc for a new tranny and tc....3800 and 1200. If you don't mind a 5 speed pm frans

Wait..you're in key largo....rip out that bhw and put it in a boat...hwy 1 trafffic sucks. Everyone drives like they are 20 min late to a weekend shift at the ER. Its supposed to be a chain of laid back islands not road rage keys.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
That's even more than VW list price @ 3819...it includes the torque converter!

He said he was not sure if it included tc or not but gave me the price just in case. Im sure he would have made a call to find out if he knew there was a chance for a sale.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Can you tell if the torque converter is turning? Flex plate failure.