2nd VNT17 dead

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
He can upgrade the turbo and still continue to diagnose what is causing his boost spikes, since they will still be happening no matter which turbo he's running, except the GTD1752VRK won't grenade at 30 psi saving him the hassle of buying another new VNT-17 at $800 plus the labor of installing it, cleaning out the intercooler and piping adds up pretty quick. And he's had to do that for 3 turbos, so the $1600 GTD1752VRK is looking a lot cheaper than say $2,300 in turbos plus labor of say $1,200. Call it $2,000 for the GTD1752VRK and install or $3,500 in turbos and labor, I know which route I would have gone. ;)
Update: running fine so far. Hit the throttle on an on ramp and boost acted normally for a tuned vnt15 with malone stage 3.

Still getting used to the throttle and everything. Weeks after only driving my jeep everything feels different.

A bit early to tell but it feels like the off idle response is fixed. I need to still play with it.

$3,500 in labor, parts, tunes and turbos chasing all of this. Ouch!
Looks like my guestimate was spot on ;)

Either way it's great to hear that you were able to figure what was going on in the end, fix it and get back to driving your car on a regular basis.

We all have our fingers crossed that you don't have any more problems with the car in the near future. All I have to say, is that if you destroy another turbo, strongly consider upgrading to a GTD1752VRK and never look back. :D

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Oh I’m considering it! I do think I’d have to update the rods, though. Yes? But money wise this will is two years out now.

My JL Audio 5.1 got fried at a DIA parking lot when I left all the windows/sunroof closed in the summer. Left channel is crackling badly. Argh.
I’d be putting this off for a while but oh well. Car amps should be designed for this scenario. I mean, they sell them in Phoenix for gad’s sake!
So this is another $700 out the door point.

Is there anything better on the market at this price point?

Anyway, will be driving the VW quite a bit today!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
$700 out the door should get you a sweet setup in a good audio shop. All speakers and amp with a good head unit and bass.
Look for a system you want, call around see what your options are for installation etc.
Might surprise you what you can get for $500 or less full system wise.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well I have a full system already - maybe $3,000 into it with install and all. I do love my car audio, always have.

Found a place in Loveland that I will call about repairing the amp.

Car starts MUCH better. Softer throttle but she isn’t gasping for air off throttle. Seems quieter - but that’s probably due to my soundproofing efforts. Forgot I had a sixth gear for about 30 miles.

Now to do some logging...

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
$700 out the door should get you a sweet setup in a good audio shop. All speakers and amp with a good head unit and bass.
Look for a system you want, call around see what your options are for installation etc.
Might surprise you what you can get for $500 or less full system wise.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure where you shop, or the quality of what you buy, but $700 doesn’t get you much.

Bajan

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Oh I’m considering it! I do think I’d have to update the rods, though. Yes? But money wise this will is two years out now.

My JL Audio 5.1 got fried at a DIA parking lot when I left all the windows/sunroof closed in the summer. Left channel is crackling badly. Argh.
I’d be putting this off for a while but oh well. Car amps should be designed for this scenario. I mean, they sell them in Phoenix for gad’s sake!
So this is another $700 out the door point.

Is there anything better on the market at this price point?

Anyway, will be driving the VW quite a bit today!
Whether or not you replace your rods all depends on how far you're going to wanna push your car. If you don't plan on wringing every last bit of power out of your engine, then I would think you'd be fine on the stock internals. The most strain on an engine is when you try and push it at the lower rpm range, say under 2,000 rpm. If you rev your engine out versus trying to lug your engine that should help your entire engine from being strained in that lower rev range.

I'm not as familiar with the ALH engine as I am the PD engine, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can comment on the durability of the stock ALH rods and when you should consider upgrading them.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Another quick update: bogging off the line is completely gone. Completely. She pulls away in 2nd gear from just off idle just fine - you know, like a normal car. I even loaned it to her to a friend who needed to run an errand without worrying he'd stall the car several times.

I've actually had this problem for probably six to eight years. I need to go back and figure out what happened, but I may never be able to clearly identify the reason.

Much different driving car. Before it was on/off and a lot of power up higher, with no much off idle, as mentioned.

Anyway, it's nice driving the car now. I'll be leaving her this way for a long long time now.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Another quick update: bogging off the line is completely gone. Completely. She pulls away in 2nd gear from just off idle just fine - you know, like a normal car. I even loaned it to her to a friend who needed to run an errand without worrying he'd stall the car several times.

I've actually had this problem for probably six to eight years. I need to go back and figure out what happened, but I may never be able to clearly identify the reason.

Much different driving car. Before it was on/off and a lot of power up higher, with no much off idle, as mentioned.

Anyway, it's nice driving the car now. I'll be leaving her this way for a long long time now.

This is awesome, glad you’re finally having some joyous moments.

Bajan