Friday night Wisconsin fish boil - alternate menu

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Friday meet & greet is featuring a traditional Wisconsin whitefish boil. This menu includes whitefish, corn on the cob, potatoes, and onions. There will also be a soup and salad bar with two soups and a variety of salad and topping choices.

What is a fish boil? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_boil

If you are not a fan of fish, we have an alternate plated meal available for you upon request. This alternate meal will be a 1/2 rotisserie apple cinnamon glazed chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and veggies.

If you'd like the alternate meal instead of the main fish course, please post in this thread. One meal per person, and you MUST be registered for this event.

If you haven't registered for the meet & greet and you'd like to attend, please sign up here: http://events.tdiclub.com no later than Sunday night, August 28th.

Thanks!

Non-fish eaters:
  1. VeeDubTDI
  2. tomo366
  3. n1das
  4. BuzzKen
  5. Mrs. Babalew
  6. mishkaya
  7. Mrs. aja8888
  8. Fix_Until_Broke (1)
  9. Fix_Until_Broke (2)
  10. Sprocket
  11. Kriesel

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I am registering my preference for the alternate meal. I'm not a big fan of the sea critters. ;)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Its Lake creatures, But to each his own the Hamster can consume sea and lake creatures.

I spent time at Eau Claire and Ashland Wi GRUNION rules after several kegs!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Oh and since we are Atlantic coastal folks tartar sauce is needed...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I am registering my preference for the alternate meal. I'm not a big fan of the sea critters. ;)
Same here. I need the alternate meal.

Last year in Maine I overdid it with beef and also ate lots of bacon and sausage at the continental breakfasts. I ended up with a massive Gout flareup :eek: in my left ankle. :eek: NOT FUN at all. :( Pain was excruciating and ranked 9/10 to 10/10 on the doctor's standard pain scale and I could hardly walk at all. :eek: It wiped me out for a few days and kept me out of work for a week.

Beef, bacon, and sausage seem to be the trigger foods that do it to me. They are high in purines which contribute to high uric acid levels. Shellfish and other sea critters are also high in purines. Alcohol is another risk factor. Fortunately I'm a non-drinker. Now I have to avoid beef, bacon and sausage, all of which I love. :( Chicken is OK.

Last edited:

Babalew

TDI
2010 Sport Wagon, 2005 Passat Wagon (man.tranny), 2015 Passat SEL
fish boil meals

Babalew and his wife Judy are both set up for the fish boil but Judy wants the alternate meal.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
No fish for me officially registered
Glad you're registered! Your fish comment reminded me of a now closed music venue in Baltimore. There was a business in town that was started in the early 40s called Charles Fish and Sons. They lasted until ~1980 but the brick building still stands with the original polished black marble sign. After it closed, it became a very popular bar and music venue named "No Fish Today". Saw a lot of great acts there in the day.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Gotcha covered. Anyone who wants chicken instead of fish, make sure your name is listed in the first post. :)

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
You can add me to the list for the alternate menu.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Today is the last call for food (for real this time). We are placing our orders tomorrow morning, so please sign up for any meal events that you're interested in. If you'd prefer a chicken dish at the Friday night fish boil, please post in this thread.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
We are bouncing between the fish and chicken alternative so we have agreed that I would have the fish and Mrs. aja8888 will go with the chicken. Please add Mrs. aja8888 (Evelyn) on the alternative meal list.

Thanks!

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Envious of the folks going to the meet-up. I grew up in DCW, but moved to MI when I was 20, 23 years ago...totally miss fish boils. The Viking Restaurant in Ellison Bay is THE fish boil.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Envious of the folks going to the meet-up. I grew up in DCW, but moved to MI when I was 20, 23 years ago...totally miss fish boils. The Viking Restaurant in Ellison Bay is THE fish boil.
It's just a quick hop across the lake! Stop by and spend the weekend with us! :cool:

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
It's just a quick hop across the lake! Stop by and spend the weekend with us! :cool:
I would if the rugrat weren't starting school on the 6th...and the JSW is parked until buyback. Having some potentially $$ issues that we can't justify fixing. :rolleyes:

Sturgeon Bay is a cool town. DCW gets even better north of town, too. I hope everyone has time to check out the entire county, though Labor Day weekend can be a bit of a mob scene (another reason we're not eager to join in the fun. Labor Day weekend finds a lot of the locals in hiding, heh).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Got it. We're up to nine alternate meals now.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I'd like the alternate meal as well please.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I planned on signing up for TDI fest events at check friday. Unfortunatley I hav'nt payed enough attention to different TDIfest event happenings. Like the meet and greet. I did not realize that it was a dinner. I (stupidly) assumed it was a bunch of club member getting together at the watering hole in the hotel on Friday night. Since I missed the cut off for the dinner (and don't want dinner), can I assume that the dinner attendees (which I would like to meet) and all the other non dinner attendees, will be at and or may mix and mingle between an assumed private dinner room at the hotel and or the hotel watering hole????

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I planned on signing up for TDI fest events at check friday. Unfortunatley I hav'nt payed enough attention to different TDIfest event happenings. Like the meet and greet. I did not realize that it was a dinner. I (stupidly) assumed it was a bunch of club member getting together at the watering hole in the hotel on Friday night. Since I missed the cut off for the dinner (and don't want dinner), can I assume that the dinner attendees (which I would like to meet) and all the other non dinner attendees, will be at and or may mix and mingle between an assumed private dinner room at the hotel and or the hotel watering hole????
That's a pretty safe assumption. Find me when you check in and we will figure something out.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No fish boil for me, sign me up for alternate menu. Thanks!

(i'm officially registered for one meal)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Dinner will probably be served at around 7:15 - 7:30.