Brian’s Mechanic Newsletter TDI Timing Belt Job

boss

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS

BMN-header-TDI_Timing-belt-job-Mechanic-Brian-Rodgers-Cereal-too
Good morning
I guess the big question is should I head into work early knowing it will be dark by 5:00 PM? Maybe tomorrow. Friday was hellacious. I didn’t get off work until 7:30 PM, and even then I was unhappy with the quality of the WiFi connection. Now I’m dreading going in and dealing with the backlash.
This weekend went well. I made progress on the Jetta timing belt job. It isn’t finished, but I haven’t hit any insurmountable snags. There were a couple of times when I needed a helper to hold the engine from moving and Austin still doesn’t have a phone, so I’ve got to ride down on my bicycle to get him, which I did, and he did. Sunday though, I knew he needed my help moving a woodstove and installing it so I broke away from my project and spent the afternoon with his crew. I’ve got pictures of that project, but I’ll save them for tomorrow. This BMN is all about me being a mechanic again, and enjoying it very much.

-----

TDI_Timing-belt-job-intake-manifold-gunk I removed the piece on top of the intake manifold to get to one of the bolts on the valve cover and holy camoly. I see why it has been suggested that I clean the intake manifold. It is unrelated to the timing belt job, but it is nearby, and I already have this part off. Of course I want to be done, but this looks bad and it must adversely affect performance. Maybe this is the reason the previous owner only got 37 miles per gallon.

TDI_Timing-belt-job-camshaft-lock-homemade-counterhold-tool Yep, I made it from an old tire iron. It sure is handy having metal-smith skills

TDI_Timing-belt-job-camshaft-locked-at-top-dead-center-cylinder-#1 The locker is the plate in the middle sorry about the poor focus

TDI_Timing-belt-job-engine-at-top-dead-center TDC is off a little, I’ll fix that when I install the new timing belt. It is a miracle the belt didn’t break.

TDI_Timing-belt-job-injector-pump-timing-locked-with-pin

TDI_Timing-belt-job-chain-hoist-supporting-engine

TDI_Timing-belt-job-engine-mount-and-timing-belt-off-yay!!
——-
I quit for the night at 9:00 PM (corrected for Day Light Savings Time) I amazingly feel pretty good this morning. I’m not pushing myself too hard either. I knew I had to get up and go to work this morning.
———
Sincerely,
Brian Rodgers
I was not feeling the trust with my old torque wrench. When I started looking for a replacement I see that the digital era has come to tools. Frigging awesome. This is a low end digital torque wrench, there are cheaper wrenches, but the next level up is $250 and on up

Digital-torque-wrench-Brown-Line-Metal-Works
Product Description
Amazon.com
Day in and day out, mechanics routinely tighten a variety of components to specific torque values. Despite their vast experience and attention to detail, even the best and most efficient mechanic can occasionally over-tighten or under-tighten a component, leading to vehicle damage or even catastrophic failure. Using a patented Double Gear Sensing System (D.G.S.S.), the Brown Line Digital Torque Wrench greatly reduces the possibility of human error with the following features.
LCD Display
Quickly and easily enter a “Target Torque” by using the intuitive button design. The backlit LCD will then display in real time the exact amount of torque being applied.
Audible and Visual Signals
A series of LEDs and a buzzer alert the user as the Target Torque is being approached – and then hit. This helps to eliminate over-torquing as the user is able to adjust their pull speed as the Target Torque nears. Once the Target Torque is hit, a red light and buzzer simultaneously alert the user to stop pulling.
Peak Torque Display
After applying torque to a fastener, the wrench will display the Peak Torque (highest torque value) so the user knows exactly how much torque was applied. No more guessing as to the final torque.
Accuracy
Double Gear Sensing System Technology (D.G.S.S.) and 8-bit microprocessor produce precise torque readings of +/- 3.5 percent clockwise and counter clockwise. And unlike a traditional “click” style wrench, the Brown Line wrench does not have to be turned down to its lowest setting when being stored. This is the biggest reason why torque wrenches go out of calibration.
Measurement Units
At the press of a button convert from Ft-lbs to Nm to In-lbs. No more wasting time doing the calculations by hand.
Range
A ½” ratcheting drive and a range from 15 to 150 Ft. lbs makes the Brown Line wrench perfect for automotive use — from torqueing lug nuts to doing engine work.
Plastics
The Brown Line torque wrench uses specially engineered plastics that resist the most common oils, gasoline, and chemicals you would encounter in a garage. And the soft-grip overmold ensures comfort when being used.
Product Description
Day in and day out, mechanics routinely tighten a variety of components to specific torque values. Despite their vast experience and attention to detail, even the best and most efficient mechanic can occasionally over-tighten or under-tighten a component, leading to vehicle damage or even catastrophic failure. This Digital Torque Wrench eliminates the possibility of human error with a series of features that immediately alert the user to torque readings that are over or under entered values. Brown Line Metalworks engineered the only Digital Torque Wrench for the seasoned professional, but priced for the weekend mechanic. Brown Line Metalworks invented and patented (Patent number US 7,367,250) breakthrough technology that allows the Digital Torque wrench to deliver high-end performance and quality at an affordable retail price. Digital Torque wrench has a Double Gear Sensing System Technology (D.G.S.S.) and 8-bit microprocessor enable it to consistently produce precise torque readings of +/- 3.5 percent clockwise and counter clockwise. With a ½ inch ratcheting drive and a range from 15 to 150 Ft/lbs, our Digital Torque Wrench is perfect for automotive use. The backlit LCD screen, green-yellow-red LEDs, and an audible buzzer allows the user to precisely monitor how much torque is being applied. User can set a target torque, and can seamlessly change from Ft/lbs to in/lbs to Nm. Maximum torque applied is displayed when done, ensuring that the user knows exactly how much torque was applied. Specially engineered plastics ensure that the wrench is resistant to common automotive oils and chemicals.

boss

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS

BMN-header-VW-TDI-This-close-view-from-shop-door-still-on-jackstands
Good Morning
You’ll probably be glad to learn that I didn’t take twenty pictures yesterday while Austin and I worked on the Volkswagen. I don’t think we took a break at all. The good news is the timing belt is on, and just about everything is ready.
Our new digital torque wrench is perfect. It does more than the analog counterpart. A series of three LEDS let the user know when the set torque is neared I love LEDS, and feedback it is a win-win situation.

Relationship between force F, torque τ, linear momentum p, and angular momentum L in a system which has rotation constrained in one plane only (forces and moments due to gravity and friction not considered).
The animation is from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque
With Austin’s help the job moved along at a breakneck pace. Around about 5:00 PM when Nell returned from her grind-house job at the hospital we were seriously hurting. Knees are not supposed to bend that way, well even if they were at one time before evolution made us upright, they don’t now.
Nell pulled it together even though I knew she was exhausted as well, to make Austin and me a delicious dinner couscous stir-fried veggies and corn on the cob. Thank you honey
The knee is one of the largest and most complex joints in the body. The knee joins the thigh bone (femur) to the shin bone (tibia). The smaller bone that runs alongside the tibia (fibula) and the kneecap (patella) are the other bones that make the knee joint.
Tendons connect the knee bones to the leg muscles that move the knee joint. Ligaments join the knee bones and provide stability to the knee:
The anterior cruciate ligament prevents the femur from sliding backward on the tibia (or the tibia sliding forward on the femur).
The posterior cruciate ligament prevents the femur from sliding forward on the tibia (or the tibia from sliding backward on the femur).
The medial and lateral collateral ligaments prevent the femur from sliding side to side.
Two C-shaped pieces of cartilage called the medial and lateral menisci act as shock absorbers between the femur and tibia.
Numerous bursae, or fluid-filled sacs, help the knee move smoothly.
VW-TDI-This-close-Mover-and-shaker-Austin-Gypsytoes-Rodgers
Okay, so I did shoot twenty photos, hehehehe

VW-TDI-This-close-view-from-above-stupid-EGR-thingy-still-off It is the nasty aluminum thing with the black gunk inside

VW-TDI-This-close-view-from-above-timing-belt-installed-top-cover-still-off
While I’m impressed with German engineering, the way they made this model year so that the engine mount has to come off in order to change the timing belt out is less than brilliant.

VW-TDI-This-close-view-from-beneath-serpentine-belt-installed The serpentine belt runs the accessories like the alternator and air conditioner. Its ribs follow along the length of the belt, while the timing belt rids are lateral or crosswise to the length.

VW-TDI-This-close-view-from-above-timing-belt-installed

VW-TDI-This-close-aftermath-tools-and-old-parts We used up nearly all the replacement bolts, there were a couple that didn’t fit like the harmonic balancer hex bolts. Next time, I’ll be more prepared. I’m hearing from mechanics I trust that these belts should be replaced every 60K and not chance ruining the engine waiting for 100K miles. It is a blessing and miracle the belt didn’t break with the previous owner letting 157k miles rack up without changing the timing belt.
VW-TDI-This-close-but-it-is-okay-because-I’m-wearing-my-Bio-Man-cape
Man oh man I’m fading. I better get my rear in gear and at least make cookies
The next step for the TDI project is reconnecting the inter-cooler hose. Then one more look underneath before lifting the car off the jack-stands. Check and top off the engine oil and coolant. The motor oil is a synthetic, and I’ll change that and the filter ASAP. The coolant which spilled out when I pulled the water pump and replaced it I saved. I’ll filter that and put it back in. I am ready with a fresh gallon of the special orange coolant if it won’t clean up, but it looked fine.
Following all the second guessing and double checks, I get to do the scariest part of a timing belt job, turn it over and listen for horrible sounds of something done wrong. We’ve already turned the engine over four times by hand and readjusted the timing belt tensioner. So we’re pretty certain the valve-train is aligned properly.
After warming the engine I’ve got the cable that connects the laptop to the car’s computer, and I’ve read through the procedure to set the injector pump timing for optimal performance. Performance will be improved once I pull the intake manifold off and clean the gunk out. I decided to wait on that because I didn’t order the gasket kit for that.
Speaking of gaskets. For the mechanically inclined who may consider doing a similar job. Read the book first, check the forums, before ordering parts. Although most of the parts from the online supplier www.autohaus.com were fairly decent looking, this job is too complex and time-consuming to use anything but the best parts.
For unknown reason there were two camshaft seals included, both the same. It turns out there are basically two types of seals used in this era engine. Perhaps the supplier of the kit meant to put both types of seals in, although they didn’t. The seal in our 2003 Jetta is spring-less, and thicker than the seal with the spring. Austin and I discussed the pros and cons of using the thinner seal. In the instructions which came in the kit it said they are not interchangeable in the direction we needed to go at least.
Instead of delaying the project and waiting for the proper seal to arrive we re-installed the original seal. It wasn’t leaking, and it looks like it can be replaced without removing the timing belt and engine mount which was sort of a pain in the ass.
Well I better get after it.
Sincerely,
Brian Rodgers

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
BMN-header-TDI_Timing-belt-job-Mechanic-Brian-Rodgers-Cereal-too
(Went over to my parent's house for some old paper work)
Call me crazy but this is what my mom had for breakfast today! Your picture looks just like what she made!!!

Anywho, good luck with your work on the car. Also, the torque wrench you got is not really that low-end :) Someone in the forums make them. They are all made in KY, USA.

Have a nice day!

boss

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
BMN VW TDI Injection Pump Timing

BMN-header-VW-TDI-Timing-belt-done-Using-computer-to-set-IP-timing-Austin-and-Brian-Rodgers
Good morning and happy Friday
I could not get moving yesterday. I napped a little while watching Warehouse 13, until I believe, Noon. I finally pulled myself up from my easy-chair got dressed and went out to the shop. My body seemed to be buzzing and not in a good way.
I started, somehow I started to re-install parts and pieces to the engine. Some components were hard or harder to put on than they were to remove. Eventually, everything in the pile I made removing components was gone. I started to put tools up so I might see better if there were any stragglers. Nope. It’s all good.
Now the scariest part: Starting the engine. I turned it over a few times without heating up the glowplugs. Austin came driving up just as I was ready to kick the engine over for real. I waited, as he deserved to be in on this as he was a driving force in this project.
Thank you Austin it makes me so happy that you are here and enthusiastic to work together. Also you are very smart, helpful, kind and considerate.

VW-TDI-Timing-belt-done-Using-computer-to-set-IP-timing-horizontal The little yellow line near the bottom of the graph is the point where the timing currently set, in this case retarded. It took us quite a few tries to get it precisely where we wanted it, in-between the green and the red lines.

VW-TDI-Timing-belt-done-Using-computer-to-set-IP-timing
What a relief it is succeeding on the Volkswagen job. I don’t know if I told you, but I wasn’t looking forward to delving deep into a project like this in the first week that we owned our long sought after Volkswagen TDI. I don’t know perhaps it was obvious. It had to be done and it had to be done now. That belt could have broken any minute, and then the engine would need to be rebuilt, as these motors are called interference engines because if the camshaft stops as it does when the timing belt breaks the valves hit the pistons. This bends the valves.
We just avoided all that and indeed by buying a TDI that needed the timing belt replaced we saved thousands of dollars.
So, in these next pictures you’ll probably be asking, “What am I looking at?” “There is nothing there?”
Right!

BMN-header-VW-TDI-Timing-belt-done-Empty-garage-looking-west2

BMN-header-VW-TDI-Timing-belt-done-Empty-garage-looking-east

BMN-header-VW-TDI-Timing-belt-done-Empty-garage-looking-west
Now I can get back to working on the house. I’ve got four more complete kitchen cabinets to build, one linen closet, and I’ll be combining the two maple drawer kitchen sets into one unified unit with another maple edged oak plywood counter-top.
But first and foremost, I’ve got a new stereo to install in the Jeep! This will be a challenge as the Jeep OEM stereo apparently has amplifiers build into the front door speakers and six speakers, not four like most stereos. I haven’t looked at the service manual schematics for the Jeep, but online I read that the door amps control the fading and volume control. While this sounds cool it could be troublesome to wire like a normal stereo with controls on the stereo itself. I’ve got the factory service manual on the Jeep and a signal tracer, so I’ll have USB, I-Pod, Android sounds coming through the speakers in no time.
I want to get into work a little early this morning, thanks to daylight savings time. Whose time does it save anyway? Grrr
Y’all have a great weekend too
Brian Rodgers

boss

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Brilliant. No mention of how you cleaned the inlet manifold
Sadly I still haven't cleaned the intake manifold. I flipped the 60 year marker on my personal odometer two weeks ago, and and happy with the progress I'm making on a multitude of projects, but for a while at least the TDI is back-burnered.

A young friend has been volunteering to work in the forest here with me in northern New Mexico on Saturdays. I know, how rare is that? So that's what I've been doing, playing forester

old school tools for real :D

Beside my high hopes for finishing our house this Summer, I hope I can get down to the river and continue digging the Tusas Fish pond near the river. I want to be able to bring river silt, sand and topsoil up the hill for various projects. One of the main aspects holding me back other than cash-flow, is I haven’t got the hydraulic lift mechanism installed under the bed on the Dodge Dually. Jason recently installed one for the man he works for in Rociada rekindling my hopes and dreams of making my Dodge 8′X9′ flatbed dump.
I hope you were serious about me keeping this post going if so thank you so much.
any time you like you can read my morning newsletter http://outfitnm.com

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Welcome to the club, very enjoyable report. The thing that I noticed most was how serious you look with a bowl of cereal in your hand. Next time try some pancakes, maybe it'll put a smile on your face!