converting from gas to diesel

visual_kool

96 golf. I have a diesel, body is going downhill. There is a 96 in a local junkyard in good condition, but it's gas. What would I have to swap from my car to the other to turn it into a diesel? Obviously engine and tank, but what about lines or anything else?

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Wow... this is a project you should definetly snap some pics of if you decide to take it on. I'm sure there's lot's of us that would love to see this as it goes along.

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
The main things are the engine and tank of course along with all the lines and the wiring and ECU I assume. Everything else should be the same. How bad is the car you have now? Are the floors gone and all that or is it mainly body?

visual_kool

Bmarc said:
The main things are the engine and tank of course along with all the lines and the wiring and ECU I assume. Everything else should be the same. How bad is the car you have now? Are the floors gone and all that or is it mainly body?
Doors around the glass and along the bottoms in spots, the body where the post is to hold the door closed. The hatch is useless in that the lock does not work at all (you have to press the button in the glove box to open the hatch each time). The hatch also drops rust each time you close it.
I had an alignment done 2 days ago. He told me that a new hole has opened up under the rear seats about 4-5 inches wide and there is carpet showing through. There is also a hole starting under the driver.

The newer car is a 97 or 98. I personally haven't looked at it yet (but I will be this afternoon). My neighbour says that it is probably the best shaped MK3 golf in the Maritimes. All original paint and no rust that he could find. He used to do body work for a Pontiac dealership before, so I'm taking his word on it. The car rear ended a pickup one month ago and the insurance company wrote it off. So, the engine/tranny are ok, but the rad and support, hood, clip and bumper, fenders and lights are damaged.

I will be doing one of two things after buying the car. Either selling my diesel as is and fixing up this other car, or swapping the diesel over if it's not going to cost too much money to do. No one I have spoken to yet has heard of a MK3 gas -> diesel swap, so I have no inidcators as to what issues we might run into. I do have a few more shops to call though.