Bonneville Salt Flats -- How to prepare?

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
I just might be able to go, and this would be an event I would like to attend. Question though. How do we best prepare our TDIs for the run? Cone vs. panel? Propane vs. no propane? Big sticky tires vs thin sticky tires (or maybe not sticky)? LSD vs LDS (jk, I mean no LSD)?

Basically, I want to know exactly what I need to do to get the best time possible on the flats. I will not have money for bigger turbos, but propane is a possibility, as well as srs suspension and peloquin LSD. Let's get a good dialogue going.

John

M

mickey

Long sleeved, light colored cotton shirts. Good sunglasses. Wide brimmed hats. SPF 40 sunscreen.

-mickey

p.s. Oh, you mean the CARS? I dunno. Narrower tires work better on the salt. In fact, they don't allow tires any wider than 10" unless they're original equipment. (To protect the salt, I think.)

I wouldn't get too wild with VNT mods because of the altitude. Beyond that, the usual "power stuff" would help. Due to the relatively loose surface a Quaife or Peloquin diff will be an advantage in acceleration. This will basically be like an extended drag race on a really smooth, flat "dirt road."

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BIGJOHNO:
LSD vs LDS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL

Does this mean we have to get Quaifes/Peloquins, take hallucinogens, or become Mormons?

[This message has been edited by TDI Believer (edited March 21, 2001).]

M

mickey

Of the three choices I would NOT recommend hallucinogenic drugs. The flats are a weird enough place without them.

-mickey

Diesel nut

Also bring plenty of water to drink,and your
lunch!Things get pricey out on the salt.
If you are light pigment skin like me, bring
lots of sun block.Good luck,have lots of
fun and hope the salt bug dont bite you or
you will be back every year! Dn

GassinGerhard

Veteran Member
Do you really believe that your car's gonna reach 130 mph in the distance of one mile?

When I was in the southern Utah desert, the car got up to 120 mph pretty quick. After that, it takes some time to build up any more speed.

M

mickey

No. It's impossible for a TDI to get to 130 in a standing mile. But that won't stop us from trying!

-mickey

Marky-D

Standing mile? I thought there was a several-mile acceleration area, then they took your average speed over a measured mile at the end. Then repeat the other direction. Give me a couple miles to get to speed, and 130 shouldn't be a problem.

Diesel nut

If I rember correctly,you have to reach a
certain speed on the flying mile or break
your class record speed,to be able to run
on the 5 mile course!it is listed in the rule
book somewhere.Bring a 6X8 cheap tarp to park
your car over,BLM,rules I am told!