alarm

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
The 2002 I just bought likes to embarrass me in front of crowds, lol. When the car 'feels' like it when I stop and get out the alarm starts blasting away! I can't figure out a pattern because its intermittent. I'll open and close the hood, doors and truck and finally it might quit. Sometimes all it takes is to push the unlock button on the remote. The red alarm button on the remote doesn't do anything. I have codes:

00928 Locking Module for central locking front driver side (F220)
01044 Control Module incorrectly coded.
01359 Internal Central Locking Switch passenger side (E198)

I don't know anything about this and don't know how to fix it. The way I look at it is the car in 16 years old, who cars if it has a alarm on it. Is there a way to delete the alarm?

PickensSC

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta
Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Might just be a simple switch but the improperly coded is a different one...unless it has an older door lock in it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
It sounds like the the module in the driver's door is bad. They aren't too expensive and fairly easy to replace. There's a few different threads on this as it's a common problem. I replaced mine with help from the forum I suggest getting replacement clips for the door card. This link might help you decide, https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...indow-regulator-clips-and-or-door-lock-module
I'll have to read it all the way thru but that looks complicated.

Thanks!

Might just be a simple switch but the improperly coded is a different one...unless it has an older door lock in it

Is there a way to code it? I have Vag-Com but don't really know how to use it all that much.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
It's not too bad to replace the door lock... getting the door glass is the biggest pita

I've never had to or heard about coding unless it's from a previous year Jetta...

What happens when you clear the codes?

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot, I also have code 00932-electric window motor, Drivers Side (V147). No or incorrect adjustment-intermitten.

Thanks for the help!

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Replacing the door actuator sucks IMO. Really hard to get in there unless you have small hands. (which I don't)

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Replacing the door actuator sucks IMO. Really hard to get in there unless you have small hands. (which I don't)
Sounds like there isn't a simple fix like unplugging some box under the dash or behind the fuse panel? I don't have small hands, lol.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think there are also a couple of you tube videos on replacing these parts.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Door latches suck the 1st and second time, after that it gets easier.:D There are a number of tricks you'll figure out as you go, that are hard to describe.

The back door window clips really suck, so be happy it's the drivers door.

This will help: myturbodiesel.com

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not too bad to replace the door lock... getting the door glass is the biggest pita

I've never had to or heard about coding unless it's from a previous year Jetta...

What happens when you clear the codes?

I clear the codes and they come right back. The door locks and unlocks with the key and fob. The lights come on and go off like they should. The truck light doesn't stay on. The windows go up and down with no problem. The only thing that I can think of that might be causing a problem is the door lock knob doesn't go up and down even though it sounds like its working OK.

When you say "getting the door glass", what do you mean. Do you have to take the glass out?

Last edited:

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
When you say "getting the door glass", what do you mean. Do you have to take the glass out?

You have to unhook the glass from the carrier. You leave it kind of hanging there with help from duct tape.;)

When you lock it, does the little alarm light by the lock plunger come on?

I would replace/repair the drivers door latch, and check the switch on the passenger door. I would hazard a guess that the middle code (about the coding) gets fixed by the others.:)

PickensSC

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta
I clear the codes and they come right back. The door locks and unlocks with the key and fob. The lights come on and go off like they should. The truck light doesn't stay on. The windows go up and down with no problem. The only thing that I can think of that might be causing a problem is the door lock knob doesn't go up and down even though it sounds like its working OK.
I think if the little red LED next to the drivers lock isn't flashing the system doesn't know if the door is locked or not.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
You have to unhook the glass from the carrier. You leave it kind of hanging there with help from duct tape.;)

When you lock it, does the little alarm light by the lock plunger come on?

I would replace/repair the drivers door latch, and check the switch on the passenger door. I would hazard a guess that the middle code (about the coding) gets fixed by the others.:)
I think if the little red LED next to the drivers lock isn't flashing the system doesn't know if the door is locked or not.
No, the red LED isn't flashing like my other three bugs. I guess that about nails it, replace the Door Latch Assembly :mad:.

I suppose I'm being lazy (hate taking doors apart) but on youtube I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9T1AOYjPps Doing this I suppose would disable other functions of the car. Also I saw someplace that removing horn alarm relay #9 would do the trick? My Bently manuel is for a 98 and I think the 2002 alarm is different.

Thanks for all the help!!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Worked on mine (bad door sensor). The car doesn't know if the door is open or closed, clicking open, then closed seems to make it think they are closed. See if it doesn't eliminate the errant alarm.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Figured out with Vagcom how to find out what was setting the alarm off and its the drivers door.

Also figured out a pattern. I'll stop, pull the key and the doors click unlock. Then almost right away they will lock again. At that point if you open the door the alarm goes off. If you unlock the door with the fob and then get out the alarm doesn't go off. If you forget and get out setting the alarm off you leave the drivers door open and unlock the truck with your key and the alarm stops. I'll be replacing the door lock module.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
It took ECS 13 days to deliver a Door Latch Assembly :mad:. I put it in and have the same problem. VagCom says its still the drivers door setting the alarm off. I'm also still getting code "01331 door control module drivers side J386. 49-10 no communication intermittent". I don't know how to correct this problem? I took the old door latch apart and the best I can tell it did have a couple of bad solder joints.

Does anyone know how to correct this code, I'm thinking its my problem but what do I know?

I think I need to disable this alarm, I've researched this and have seen some good idea's but need to know what works without screwing up something else.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
J386 is the drivers side front door control module. It is part of the window motor assembly. I too am having alarm problems; it goes off in the middle of the night so I'm told. I did a complete auto scan with VCDS, but don't know how to proceed. The lock module is genuine new. My scan show a few DTC's, two that occur is 01330 and 01336 IIRC. I suggest you do a complete auto scan. I would like to see the results for comparison purposes.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I had a similar issue with mine and it turned out that when I had the little rear wing installed, the one hole wasn't sealed properly so the water got in and soaked the little switch that tells the alarm system that the hatch is closed.

I sealed the hole and swapped out the switch and the alarm stopped going off when ever it wanted to. Mostly when it rained.

It sounds like you are having more trouble so I would check the wires in the drivers door near the hinges to see if they are damaged or shorting out. This is pretty common. I would also check grounds for corrosion.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
J386 is the drivers side front door control module. It is part of the window motor assembly. I too am having alarm problems; it goes off in the middle of the night so I'm told. I did a complete auto scan with VCDS, but don't know how to proceed. The lock module is genuine new. My scan show a few DTC's, two that occur is 01330 and 01336 IIRC. I suggest you do a complete auto scan. I would like to see the results for comparison purposes.
Engine: 18058 Powertrain Data Bus
P1650 - 35-10 missing message from instrument cluster intermit

Auto Trans, no faults

ABS no faults

Airbags: 01312 powertrain data bus J533
37-10 faulty intermittent

Instruments: 01312 powertrain data bus 37-00 faulty intermittent

Can gateway 01312 powertrain data bus 37-00 faulty

Central Conv

00928 locking module for central locking; front drivers side F220
54-10 Incorrectly equipped intermittent

01044 control module incorrectly coded 35-00

00932 electric window motor; drivers side V147
62-10 no or incorrect adjustment intermittent

internal central locking switch; passenger side E198
27-10 implausible signal intermittent

Radio no faults

Now that I have a new drivers side locking module in I reset the codes. The central conv codes (4) above disappeared. I went for a test drive and they didn't come back but when I stopped, pulled the key the doors unlocked then right away relocked. I used the fob to unlock the doors before getting out. If I hadn't used the fob inside the car and I opened the door the alarm would have gone off. Another weird thing is when I'm driving I notice a very quick drop in the rpm guage and a very quick rebound. At the same time I notice a quick flash of a yellow light at about the 120 mph mark. The key on at start up shows ABS light but what I've seen doesn't look like a ABS flash?

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
PB NB, VCDS has shown me that the last four alarms were caused by the drivers door.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the scan. I too have the internal locking switch DTC, 1358 is what mine is. Besides the alarm going off in the middle of the night, my door ajar light is on only when the cabin is cold. It goes off eventually as the cabin warms up. This light does not go on in the warmer months. My internal switch on the master switch assembly has been changed a few years ago with a Chinese make one. I did not know it until I received it. A few weeks ago I swapped the card from the OEM switch into the Chinese switch, but that did not help. If you want I can try to post my auto scan from last week to look for similiarities.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure, it might help. I'm wondering if I should replace the passenger side door lock to see if it helps even though the VCDS says drivers door, which I just did.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, I can't figure out how to post my auto scan VCDS log.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't worry about it. From all my research I read there are a few days to disable the alarm but not many mention what else is disabled?

PB NB mentioned to check grounds. Except for the ones under the battery tray, is there others that should be checked?

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot to ask about one of the codes above.

00932 electric window motor; drivers side V147
62-10 no or incorrect adjustment intermittent

I just had the door apart and everything looked OK. The window works fine! Do you guys think replacing the window motor would do any good?