FINIALLY found a alh 5 spd...but i need assistance 1 more time PLEASEEE ??

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
alright guys, im sure most of you know about my 04 water pump failure by now. i dont got the time for 2 more weeks to either tackle it or drop it off at my friends to get done.SOOOOOOOOO

i was hunting again and found a 2001 vw tdi jetta with a 5spd manual @ 283k.price was agreed 1000, reason being sold as is with no etest :D:eek: has had intermittent engine light on (owner thought it was for the glow plugs)ill be checking them with a multi meter to see if they or the harness was creating codes. he told me IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR OVER A YEAR with HALF a TANK OF DIESEL in it.... unfortaneyly the sellers father who owns the car decided to drive it 10km to his sons house so he can deal with the sale..... did that allow all that crap diesel to enter the sytem and fuel filter/injectors/pump etc??
Now i know diesel oxidizes within 30 days and can create a algea/deposit buildup, HOW DO I REMOVE FROM TANK (syphon)

IS ANYBODY IN HAMILTON/KITCHENER AREA AND ARE FREE TOMORROW EVENING (there will be a nice gift available to whoever can attend or meet me there) my dad and I will be driving to kitchener to view the car in evening around 6pm, but anybody who knows these things better than me would be more than welcome to tag along and A)stop me from making a big mistake B) inform me of certain issues they notice to help me adjust price a little lower if need be.

anywho... if nobody can come id appreciate a quick "caro:mad:ls notes" of what to look for on the 2001s if anything at all, maybe even 1000 is to high if its a complete POS with 1 year fuel in it.... thanks guys thisll be my last post for a bit i know ive bumbarded yall lately with them :):)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
the most I would worry myself about this situation is I would change the fuel filter and motor on, if it made it the 10KM, itll be fine. that's what the fuel filter is for.

buy 2 filters when you get the replacement and keep the tools handy until you feel comfortable with the car.

at that mileage, be prepared for the suspension to be worn out, and of course it'll need a timing belt system if there is no documentation from the last year or two worth of mileage.

idparts sells a nice 300k kit with many of the common wear items in addition to the typical timing belt system bits. def worth checking it out.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I had a car, a 2005 golf with 350k that sat in my driveway well over 2 years with the same fuel in the tank. I did add some power service to it, but it ran just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I would just top it up with as much fresh diesel as possible and drive on.. Under the rear seat you can get to the fuel tank, and syphon out if you want.. You would need a manual syphon as there is no in tank pump to help you.

Sitting one year id be more worried about tires and brakes being toast...

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
BTW, check the air filter, and cabin filter areas for mouse houses.. don't want to cause undo stress due to clogging in those areas.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Instead of spending $1000 on another car, plus associated costs have the car towed to a mechanic (Precision tuning comes to mind) and spend $1000 on service and TB maintenance.. seems you got dupped in the deal if you only had it one day and it over headed, too bad.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The fuel will be fine, top it off if it makes you feel better. But if they are only asking $1000 for the car, be prepared that it will more than likely be a POS that needs lots of work, money and time. But maybe it won't. I would as for lots of detailed pics before deciding to even see it.

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
growler: i will do just that , i already rented a u haul unit to get the car from Kitchener, i will be swapping filters first thing this weekend as well as manual sphon fuel from tank. should i be worried about the algae or the honey density crap that builds up (like blow a air line from one end of the line to the other or just run a cleaner through the car?)

2manyKm: thanks for the reassurance i was thinking these motors are pretty tough just didn't want to take any chances of it blowing up upon driving home lol

steve6 i plan on syphon out old diesel this weekend, i will check those spots you suggested for mice upon vehicle inspection before purchase, and yes it sucks i got a bad deal to bad the water pump dumped on me at only 125k but whatever, i bought a kit for it a hepu pump,littens tension-er and oem belt, my buddy is gonna do it for me for 150$ ill be taking it to him next weekend, until then this diesel will be my beater with a temporary until i get a safety hopefully mid next week !!

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
imo000 the guy is selling it for his dad, i am prepared to spend about 700 on parts (timing kit) new glow plugs/harness/ serpentine, etc all the maintenance stuff and then another 1000 on labor or additional parts i can change myseld, i plan on fixing my new 04 that has the bad water pump, then sell that POS for like 1500 with the new timing setup on it and technically that'll pay for this car is my ideology behind is, the additional 500 will cover my timing belt and half of other parts so by days end for this new to me diesel ill only be out around 1000 not 2500

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Did you confirm for sure its a bad water pump? If you take off the thermostat you can see if the impeller is loose on the shaft or not...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
imo000 the guy is selling it for his dad, i am prepared to spend about 700 on parts (timing kit) new glow plugs/harness/ serpentine, etc all the maintenance stuff and then another 1000 on labor or additional parts i can change myseld, i plan on fixing my new 04 that has the bad water pump, then sell that POS for like 1500 with the new timing setup on it and technically that'll pay for this car is my ideology behind is, the additional 500 will cover my timing belt and half of other parts so by days end for this new to me diesel ill only be out around 1000 not 2500

I hope this works out for you financially. It can easily go sideways and get you into more trouble than to just fix and keep the one you already have.

Why did the seller's father stopped driving the Kitchener car?