I’m TDIing Again

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I drove that car at NP a few weeks ago. Nice ride. Good luck with it. Great color!

Yeah, when they lowered the price it hit my radar. I think the 20104motion CC I bought with 14k miles for $15k was a better buy but I couldn’t hold out since I want out of my wife’s Pilot ASAP.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
So I swapped out two tires yesterday and and found a bad cv boot. I’m a little disappointed that boot has failed so early, what’s worse is that I posted this up on FB and so many Vw friends said yeah they have had them fail early on with stock setups. To me that’s disappointing.

Also look at how many wheel weights the factory used. To me that’s something that shouldn’t have been allowed past QA. They should have rotated the tire on the rim or maybe my standards are just too high.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe something went on with this car you aren't aware of. I'd find that many wheel weights from the factory had to believe, too.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Maybe something went on with this car you aren't aware of. I'd find that many wheel weights from the factory had to believe, too.

The boot should be covered under the CPO warranty, no? Although the dealer might just replace the whole axle...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
How did the boot fail? I noticed the clamp had slipped off the boot of the DS inner CV on our Passat at 40k miles.

-J

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've had the axles partially and fully removed several times and they're perfectly fine now at 73k miles. I've not seen any other claims of failed boots in this forum for the past couple of years either, I'd consider it a fluke. Come to think of it, the only thing I've had fail on the car is the driver's side window motor and it only sets a fault. You can reset it by holding up the window switch twice for a few seconds.
I've replaced plenty of good working parts though!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've had the axles partially and fully removed several times and they're perfectly fine now at 73k miles. I've not seen any other claims of failed boots in this forum for the past couple of years either, I'd consider it a fluke. Come to think of it, the only thing I've had fail on the car is the driver's side window motor and it only sets a fault. You can reset it by holding up the window switch twice for a few seconds.
I've replaced plenty of good working parts though!

First let me say thanks to all the responses, didn’t see the test or leak when I had it up on jack stands but i wasn’t investing any time as it was the middle of the holiday and ultimately Vw will replace it.

Second what’s this about window adjustments? My drivers window is thud every so often or at least that’s what happened on my first road trip on the highway. I figured I’d take it to VW but...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
First let me say thanks to all the responses, didn’t see the test or leak when I had it up on jack stands but i wasn’t investing any time as it was the middle of the holiday and ultimately Vw will replace it.

Second what’s this about window adjustments? My drivers window is thud every so often or at least that’s what happened on my first road trip on the highway. I figured I’d take it to VW but...
If the auto up/down doesn't work, it can be reset by holding up on the switch until you hear a silent click. Need to do that twice, and it's reset and should continue normal auto features. The motor is a LOT easier to replace than older platforms as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So Vw replaced the shifter trim since is was delaminating and is replacing the boot on the axle.

For the driver’s window thud when on the highway at speed I was told that’s normal. If that’s normal than VW’s are losing quality.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is the thud when opening up the window or is the window already open?

Wait until the creaks start popping up. I need to lube up the drivers door weather sealing about every other month otherwise she groans and creaks like a mofo over the smallest road imperfection.

While the Mk7 is quieter than my old mk5, she's finicky.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its a thud while closing the driverside window at speed 70mph.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
One positive side effect of years of machine gunning and artillery fire without hearing protection is that both of my Mk7s are perfectly quiet. To me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
One positive side effect of years of machine gunning and artillery fire without hearing protection is that both of my Mk7s are perfectly quiet. To me.
This made me smile. When I bought my current B4 one thing that I didn't like was the amount of wind noise. I asked the previous owner about it, and he said he's spent years in the army near artillery. He thought it was perfectly quiet.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
This made me smile. When I bought my current B4 one thing that I didn't like was the amount of wind noise. I asked the previous owner about it, and he said he's spent years in the army near artillery. He thought it was perfectly quiet.
Not to go too far off topic here, but there is a TSB on this; a common culprit being excessive projection of the windshield/perimeter trim after windshield replacement. A less common but surprising culprit on the sedans: using a smooth shaft antenna whip instead of spiral-wound. I've experienced both of these.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Apologies in advance for off topic: I wondered about this too and had my glass replacement guy look at the windshield install when the car was at the body shop for other work last year. He said the install was fine. I don't even know if the windshield has ever been replaced. I will check out the antenna for noise, however. Thanks.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Its a thud while closing the driverside window at speed 70mph.

The seals of the glass to the window are of a different design than mk5's and previous gens.

Feel the glass as it moves up it could be aligning with the weather stripping as it closes, at that point it may be normal.

One thing to check is the rear cabin exhaust vents out back, either side of the hatch they allow excessive pressure to escape when closing the hatch, if they are sealed up from lack of use it may cause issues. Hard thing is i think you gotta pull the rear bumper to look at them.

I can hear them open and close under pressure when closing the rear hatch.