Thinking about a 2014 Q5 TDI

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I'm currently driving a 2012 Passat TDI with 80k in n it but I want to trade up to something bigger and more powerful. So I was looking at the Audi Q5. I've found one at the dealer I bought the Passat at its a 2014 premium package with 18k on it. I plan on going to look at it tomorrow and I am pretty excited. I am curious about what the service cost are, I am assuming Audi care isn't offered on used cars and because of dieselgate they can't CPO it. Me trading up to the Q5 will depend on them coming down from the $44k asking price and the trade in offer they are willing to give on the VW. Anything I should know before I go?

Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I really enjoy the Q5 TDI. It is a great blend of luxury, performance and efficiency. I also like sitting up higher on the road. I'm very glad I got mine, no regrets. I don't know what options are on the Q5 you are looking at, but $44K sounds high. I don't think I'd go over $40K. I'd check KBB to get a better idea of what you should expect to pay. The service costs would probably be in the $400-$500 range. The car has only 18K miles, so I'd ask about Audi care. I got this on mine and it is supposedly at 40% discount. I wouldn't rush the purchase. In a week or two, there should be a report on CARB's decision about TDis.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Yes I do not plan on rushing in to it or anything. My thinking is once VAG starts their recall campaign for the emissions fix all the new models that are from last year that had to be kept from being sold maybe offered at a discount or at least with great incentives depending on when the recall work is complete. Which for the TDIs with an AdBlue system should just be an ECU flash.
For the price of the one I'm looking at I think they want to sell it at a CPO price without the certification. KBB has it listed as a $42k price I think I could get it below $40k.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
The Q5 TDI turned out to not be for sale because of dieselgate. Boo! They tried to sell me a 2.0T but I think my heart is just set on the 3.0TDi plus I already have a Flashzilla V3 box I just don't know if I'm buying a stage 2 tune for my Passat or a Q5.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I can understand the disappointment. I drove around a 2.0T for a day and it was a nice car, but not as strong and lower mpgs than the TDI. The 3.0T would probably be nice, but even more thirsty. The emissions scandal is a shame. The TDI really is the best performing engine offered in the Q5, IMHO. I have a 2010 Jetta TDI, so I'm waiting so see if these rumors about a buyback reported recently come to fruition. I'm considering a 2014 BMW 328d, or a Golf TSI if the price is right.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I may go look at a BMW X5D but I may hold now. I was disappointed in the trade in value they offered on the Passat I almost think it'd be better to just keep it as a third car.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There are a few on Autotrader at non-Audi dealerships. The prices are much better too. I bought mine about three months ago and love it.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I think I am going to hold off for a while now to keep the wife happy. Originally I was going to trade the Passat for the Q5 but now I going to keep it and buy the Q5 as a third vehicle.
I have seen a few on eBay that I like especially one with the brown interior, that just looks so comfy.
Since I'll be keeping my TDI Passat which is getting a stage 2 this week, I may consider the 3.0t because won't be as important at that point. The 3.0T sounds pretty good with awe exhaust and DPs then throw on an APR tune with pulley and I'd have a quick little grocery getter.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You can get an SQ5 for about the same price as a 3.0T
I saw one on AutoTrader for $38k with two sets of wheels.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I saw an ad on TV for the new RAV4 Hybrid. EPA estimate is low 30s mpg. I'm getting that in my Q5 TDI in mostly mixed driving. I'd rather be in the Q5!

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I got a call from the dealer saying they can now sell me the Used Q5 TDI prestige. I'm not sure what to think about that. I'd love to have the TDI but there are some uncertainties like why can they now sell it but not three weeks ago? Would I eligible for the Goodwill package if I bought it now, probably not. Even bigger question is there going to be a buy back on the 3.0l TDI?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a nice car. I can't imagine you'd be eligible for the Goodwill package, since you already know what you're getting into. A buyback of the 3.0L TDI seems unlikely, since it uses urea injection. Talking to a tech at my Audi dealer, he seemed to think a software update would be all that's required. It's possible that a larger catalytic converter may also be needed. Time will tell. If you can get a good deal on a 2014 or 2015, it may be a good choice. Good luck.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Oh it'd get a software update ;) from Malone. If I decide to go with the TDI I'm not against getting a SQ5 both will have to be test driven.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The cutoff for the Q5 Goodwill package was back dated to Nov 8th just like the VW's and A3. I've seen a few cheap on Autotrader.