Excessive fuel consumption.....DUH

PumpeDuse

Recently I've become a proud owner of a 115 HP Bora TDI. It's an excellent car with a lot of extras, runs like hell. It's just (in my opinion) a bit too high fuel consumption that bothers me. For example: I tank it full and drive about 500 km before the reserve alert goes on ('Bitte tanken' message on MFA). Considering the tank volume of 55 liters (sorry, I'm not very good at American measurement standards), it's about 10 l per 100 km (orabout 23.5 US MPG, according to Fred's converter). Before I pop the question I'll also mention that I've made 2000 km with the car so far and about 90% of that driving was done in the city.
Do I have reason to be concerned about the consumption, because I read that the TDIs need quite a lot time to break in? And how long actually the TDI takes to break in (approximately, in kms or miles)?
I've reported it to the service and got an answer that it's completely normal for 115HP TDI to "drink some more" than usual.
Thank you all in advance.

PS I know I sort of missed the discussion area, but as soon as resolve this problem and fit Bora with alloy wheels, I'll post some pics of it to make up.
Thanks.

Mitja

Veteran Member
And I just wanted to say "no real TDI fellow reads this General discussion" put it into "Fuel economy". And here I see...

Great.

PD: Check for oil, I really wonder.
How to check for oil? After a nice drive (hot engine, so at 90C for at least 10 minutes) turn the engine off, wait for 2-3 minutes and check oil.

Do not wait for more than that, as oil will start to collect in carter and you'll get a false reading.

So, where will this discussion take place? CF?

DUH? That's international, a?

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Mitja,
he posted twice. This one I pulled out of the Galleries. For now, let´s have two topics - It would need combined effort of two mod. or Fred´s to correct that.
As I don´t think it will grow to a multi-page-topic, it may be ok.

Alek

Veteran Member
Hay my fellow Slovenian. Fourth at this forum. I have Golf PD (more or less like your Bora). Indeed your consumption is normal (specially if you use AC). AC adds one litter per 100 km if driving city in Slovenia (fellow US colleges this DOES NOT apply for U.S.).
Anyhow with some effort you should be able to push your consumption down to 7.5 l/100 km (even with AC) using careful shifting. Accelerate 1st gear for some 5 meters; then shift second and third up to forth gear for driving 40-55 km/h. For 55-70 km/h use fifth and above sixth gear. These are at fairly low rpm's (1100 to 1300 rpm) and ability to accelerate is hindered (your cars weight is ca. 1440 kg). You will notice that I stated weight that is above one rated in you booklet. That value is for dry car no extras. And for that "dry" weight consumption is rated. City ride consumption scales up nearly proportional with weight. In my case book states that my Golf is 1260 kg but in reality it is ca. 1400 kg (without the driver). This affects fuel consumption.
If you really need to know it there is everything OK with your car just take it to 120 km/h (without AC) at temperature 25 C, dry road and your intermediate consumption should come fairly close to the one stated in your booklet.
If you change your tires with wider ones consumption will increase. Less noticeable in the city and more apparent on open roads.

Ales K.
P.S. See my posting: "Climatronic AC and fuel consumption", below.

[This message has been edited by Alek (edited June 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Alek (edited June 25, 2000).]

PumpeDuse

Hmm...dumb me
I should've noticed this discussion area before. But whatever...

By DUH I tried to impersonate H. Simpson. That's the sound he makes when things go wrong.

I checked the oil...everything is normal. It actually didn't drink a dl for the past 2000(+) km. Well, that's cool.

I have manual AC.

[This message has been edited by PumpeDuse (edited June 26, 2000).]