Alh with a miss like a spark plug ?

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
I just got done with a timing belt change , all back together and used vcds to get injection pump trimmed into spec. Started to drive it to work and started to get miss like a spark plug was bad . But it's intermittent to contiuos. Not a lot of power when Trying to get up a hill and a lot of black smoke .. it idles fine with no mis only when under pull or driving. Could I have knocked some thing loose that i didn't realize? Has anyone ran into this before ? It reeves up just while still. Thanks

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Check your static timing ie cam to crank, does the cam lock tool you used fit pretty snug in the end of the cam? It doesn't take much to get it to act really weird...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I agree with "WildChild" on the static timing. Were the proper tools used to lock the cam & pump ? Was the crankshaft "TDC" mark aligned to the index pointer on the bell housing ?

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
I used the cam lock and injection pump , its running a little better no missing now but I here a hiss like the wastegate is releasing pressure on the turbo is used vcds and no new codes .....

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
It reeves up just while still
I gotta ask... what does this mean?
If you mean the engine revs "by itself", you need to ensure the intercooler and pipe from it are drained of oil. Do runaways just happen, or can they play at running away before they do it?

mcarthur70, dont run your motor again until you verify that.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I used the cam lock and injection pump , its running a little better no missing now but I here a hiss like the wastegate is releasing pressure on the turbo is used vcds and no new codes .....
The slightest bit of play on the cam lock tool is doubled on the crank, again I ask was it snug in the end of the cam?

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Yes and I double checked it , its on the money. I checked the intercooler and had a little oil but not that bad. It stopped missing , the turbo is boosting but I hear a loud hiss under boost. It kinda sounds like when you blow up a plastic beach ball or kid float. Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You have a boost leak sounds like. Go over any charge air tubes you removed to do the timing belt job.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
What's your IQ showing in vagcom?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It stopped missing , the turbo is boosting but I hear a loud hiss under boost. It kinda sounds like when you blow up a plastic beach ball or kid float. Thanks
One of the boost tubes is off or loose.
I have used soapy water sprayed on the boost hoses & tubes to find a leak.
This should also solve the black smoke.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Solved note to self

If anyone does a timing belt change and has a boost problem with a sound like a hole in the muffler, make sure the clip to the intercooler tube to the turbo is snapped in the right place . Mine wasn't and after inspection in seen it and fixed and my little alh is all good again!!! Thanks guys again !!!!