SoCal Transaxle Rebuilder

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
As the title states, looking for a great transaxle shop to go through an 02J. Please post up if you have a recommendation for a shop that did work for you. I am close to Edwards Air Force Base in the AV, but willing to travel for exceptional service. Thanks if you can help.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I have no idea about rebuilders in your area but why wouldn't you just get another 02J? I wouldn't think a rebuilder would use used parts making his bill high. Are 02Js not a robust transmission?
I saw three different trannys in your local area for 550 to 600 on car-part.com and that was only one tranny code. Also Dutch Auto Parts has 02Js for $465.

Last edited:

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
drucifer,
Thanks for the response. I can surely put another used tranny in, but then I may have troubles that are going to put me back in the same situation.

A full rebuild will cost more initially, but I figure in the long run it will actually be cheaper. I have put 219k on this trans and have a 5th gear swap in it, so I would like to keep it, also considering a limited slip diff at the same time.

I tend to keep my cars for a long time, so don't mind spending some money since I have no car payment.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
What is wrong with the current tranny. That will determine whether you can rebuild. Get a used tranny and ship off to get the diff and 5th gear done. Cost is still cheaper vs doing all new bearing I metal started floating around or get a 6 spd which is still cheaper then a rebuild. I think in was finding 1500-2500 to go threw. Labor intensive to put bearings in as you have to shim the races in the housing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
Thanks coalminer and drucifer,

I have been really busy at work,sorry for the late response. I am having trouble getting into 3rd and 4th gears.

A decent used tranny is about $500 plus core charge in my area. Since I want to keep my original tranny that would be about $750 plus tax.

I spoke to Sean from Kraftswerk and he can do a full rebuild for about $700 with a taller 5th gear like I have and do it on an exchange basis. So I think this is the route that I going to take. I won't get to keep my tranny, but for $50 less I will have a rebuilt unit with new bearings and such.