which glow plugs 04 bew

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
i consistently get a long crank when its cold like overnight. the glow plug light goes out fast also. no known codes that i can pull. so like my 7.3s in the past, ill just change out all glow plugs and harness. but getting on idparts im seeing options. no i dont need the coolant glow plugs. just the 4 on the front of the engine. 282k on original plugs far as i know.

new 7v?
https://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-7v-oem-ngk-ceramic-a4-bewbhw-p-2178.html

oem 5v
https://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-5v-oem-a4-bewb55bhw-p-607.html

according to this harness kit, ecm needs updated for either or glow plug? wth lol
https://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-and-harness-kit-bew-p-2060.html

thanks
jarrod

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There were recalls. If you don't know what plug, get what you have in there now.
If the little squiggley doesn't stay on when it's below say 40, could be a different problem.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
You can also use VCDS and see what version you have and know which plugs are correct for your car.

I believe that's what I had to do, when I figured out the PO put in the wrong one's.

I think it can be changed via a tune as well.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
technically no lol. but i just had my first no start long crank that got me a flashing glow plug light. then went to a oil light and a check engine light. code p0726. it eventually started and i ran it for like 10 mins while i pulled the code. stopped and restarted and it fired up. but it does this. starts fine when warm or hot. sits a long time and long crank.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Sounds like a air getting into your fuel line or your lift pump is shot or both.

Can you hear the lift pump activate when you glow your car? You should hear a noise coming from under the back seat.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
P0726 points to the crank shaft position sensor. I had this happen to me last Winter.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As suggested.

1. No need for glow plugs in your neck of the woods.
2. Possible that the lift pump is dead or dying. The PD engines put soot into the fuel and it ends up in the tank which corrodes the fuel pump (been there, seen it). So, as suggested, if you don't hear the lift pump, it's time to dig under the back seat and pull it out for clean-up or replacement.
3. There is a problem related to long cranking that requires a Tune or re-flash (whatever the term) of the ECU to solve the hard start.

When the engine doesn't start after long continuous cranking, all kinds of bells and whistles and flashing lights begin to tell you something is wrong.

As for the Crankshaft Position Sensor, I got the same code over and over on an 04 PD engine. I installed a used sensor...... got the same results. Then, I installed a new sensor and got the same results. Bottom line, it needs a Tune or Re-flash.

There's a good link in this Thread that I started....

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=490292

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
i say glow plugs cause 7.3s and 6.0s don't start down here without em lol. but I'm in corpus and we have been getting a ton of rain. that's the only time it popped up. but since it dried out i haven't seen it again. i don't recall hearing the fuel pump kicking on when koeo but I'll look into that. also when i get time I'll do the ground wire mod.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The glow system in these work all year round, despite the persistent myth to the contrary/ :rolleyes:

Anyway, the ECU is very good at detecting and storing glow related DTCs. If you have a DTC related to the glow system, you have a problem. If not, you don't.

HOWEVER, on the BEW/BHW/BKW engines, there was the glow system fiasco, so you still need to make sure that you have the correct ones in the car for the software.... and in some cases the 5v software doesn't work correctly even with the 5v plugs, hence the return to 7v plugs and yet another software change.

In your case, you may have a TSB that needs to be carried out for the CKP sensor fault.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't know about the BEW, but my ALH starts cold in the AM as fast as I put the key in and tern it to crank.

The glow plugs do work all the time, it's how long the light stays on that depends on the temperature.
I hooked up a new GP to a battery once to see it turn red. It took several seconds.

Texas has to be warmer then here in New York, no? :)

oilhammer

TDI
ALHs never had the glow plug changearound fiasco the BEW/BHW/BKWs did. And it is a very different engine, so the ALH stuff doesn't really apply here. They also never had the CKP sensor issue, and they do not even HAVE a CMP sensor.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
ALHs never had the glow plug changearound fiasco the BEW/BHW/BKWs did. And it is a very different engine, so the ALH stuff doesn't really apply here. They also never had the CKP sensor issue, and they do not even HAVE a CMP sensor.
Quick question. If you power a BEW glow plug out of the engine how long does it take to glow?

oilhammer

TDI
Power it with what?

A 12v battery? The 7v plugs will glow white hot right away, and melt within ~10 seconds I suppose. The 5v ones may be fried in less time. They are not designed for full battery power. The control module duty cycles the voltage, to create the specific requirement needed... hence the software needing to be matched to the plugs' voltage.

oilhammer

TDI
Didn't think about the voltage.
I'm guessing the ALH only has 12V plugs?

11v, but yes, they are different.

And in case anyone was wondering, the ALH through very early 2002 (like, the first month of the '02 MY) use two circuit glow systems, with the relay inside the car, and they are a simple ON/OFF affair.

The rest of them 2002-2003 use a duty cycled relay located near the ECU and a four channel setup... so they function more like the PDs, but still retain the same 11v plugs.