Blower motor won't stay from time to time

kennycamehome

TDI
2011 Touareg
Been having a weird issue recently with my 2011 Treg:
1. Usually when I start the car for the first time in the day, everything works well, and wind is blowing from all the vents.
2. If I turn off the engine, restart it, no wind coming out any more.
3. I took the blower motor out and plugged it in, and noticed that when the climate control is turned on, the motor will spin for a second, before cutting out. It repeats the same with every on/off.
4. When it's working (with first start e.g.), I could also turn the speed up and down without much problem. But once the issue triggers, it won't stay on regardless of speed settings.
5. I measured the supply and it showed 16v instead of 12v. Could this be the root cause? Motor enters over-heat protection due to higher voltage maybe?

Any idea where should I look next? What could lead to higher supply voltage?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I replace bad blower motors in T'regs and Q7s all the time. Common failure item. There are a couple different versions so make sure your get the correct one.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I cannot recall the first time I replaced one, how I came to that conclusion. I have replaced so many, LOL. I usually do not have time to investigate why an electric motor failed, if it was a loose connection inside, a broken brush, bad bearing, whatever. They are not serviceable anyway. Seems like a lot of other electric motors, they just get a bad spot and won't start spinning on their own.

kennycamehome

TDI
2011 Touareg
Well it's indeed not hard to take out and replace. But in my case, I tried to manually "start" it by spinning it, didn't work. And the weird thing is that every time I switch it on, it will spin for a second before cutting out. I guess in this case it's not a typical bad spot or brush wear out issue. The supply being 16v worries me that it may be something else?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Do you read 16V at the battery posts as well? Should be in the 14.5v range with the engine running... 16 would indicate a problem with the alternator.

If so, not convinced it would cause your fan symptoms, but one never knows. :) Be very very strange for there to be complex overvoltage protection on a run-of-the-mill fan motor.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The blower motor regulator has overcurrent protection most likely.

Have you scanned the climate control system for fault codes?

-J

kennycamehome

TDI
2011 Touareg
I don’t have a scanner handy :(
Strange thing is that every time I start the car after a long time, it works. If I turn it off and try to turn it on again, it stops working. If I wait for some time (30 min, 1 hour) and start the car again, it works... guess I’ll try a few tests with the motor connected directly to battery. The motor comes with resistor pack built in with a 3-prong socket though.

kennycamehome

TDI
2011 Touareg
Just to update here, it was the blower motor assembly indeed, most likely the embedded speed control (the metal grid at the bottom of the motor). It wasn’t the brushes or dead spot though as it wouldn’t start even when manually spinner. Changed the whole unit and problem is gone. Thanks for everyone’s help!

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
Ok I have a similar issue.

2011 Touareg and the blower motor randomly turns off and back on and I can hear an even timed clicking in the rear seat area when the blower is off. Like 1 - 4 clicks and then back on. Seems to only have issues when first started and then after a while maintains an on status.

Last edited: