www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 10th, 2018, 14:53   #1
dieselovin

Default Chasing down play in steering

I have been chasing down a slight knock when changing steering direction for a few weeks now. I've replaced a lot of the front end bushings and haven't been able to find the source of the "play" while under the car. I finally put a vice grip above the u-joint that is accessible behind the brake pedal inside the car and can feel play between the steering wheel and the grips. I took off the airbag and tightened up the wheel to the column. I also inspected Both splines and they looked good.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe this play I'm feeling is only one of the sources? I know there is a u-joint above where I am placing the vice grip. To clarify, I am placing the vice grip on the top of the telescoping part of the column.

Thanks for any help!

2004 PD Wagon
dieselovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 15:08   #2
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Can you be more specific on what you have or haven't replaced?

Also have you looked at wheel bearings and ball joints?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 15:23   #3
dieselovin

I've replaced both wheel bearings, both struts and One tie rod end. I also tightened up the bolts holding the rack. To add to that I've been under the car feeling for the play while my friend turns the wheel and can't find the source. I have purchased the TT rear control arm bushings and that is my next job, but I did not feel any play at that interface.
Old September 10th, 2018, 15:29   #4
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Did you check your inner tie rods? I know they never go bad but I had one that was scary sloppy at right around 300k, it looked like it had water intrusion at some point

Are the big saucer bushings cracked? You should feel a difference with the TT bushings

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 12:07   #5
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Might try to simulate the sound with the wheels off the ground and steering wheel free. Be warned the steering fluid can fly out with the engine off.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 16:39   #6
dieselovin

I tightened the steering wheel itself and that took care of (most of) it. I still would like to replace the rest of the bushings. A little confusing because the splines looked ok. I don't think either male or female spline is tapered so I'm not sure how they eliminate play in this setup unless I am missing something. Thanks for your suggestions!