www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 26th, 2018, 07:17   #46
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

Trying to see how to wire the accelerator pedal up to a power supply (or the 0411 5v reference) and see what the S10 PCM picks up, to know if i need to calibrate it or not. Can someone explain to me how these wiring diagrams show the pin function from the VW ECU?? Like how does this explain to me which pin on the pedals 6 pin connector gets 5v which gets ground, and which is the signal out?

d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 12:32   #47
ManicMechanic

Volkswagen really doesn't put pin functions in the diagram. Other than Can high, Can low. Why do you need the reference voltage? Why not just extend the wires and use the volkswagen pedal directly to the ECM?
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:19   #48
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMechanic View Post
Volkswagen really doesn't put pin functions in the diagram. Other than Can high, Can low. Why do you need the reference voltage? Why not just extend the wires and use the volkswagen pedal directly to the ECM?
Because I want to see how the s10 pcm interprets the signal out from the pedal, to know if I need to tweak the settings and calibrate it or not. I need to send the signal to both the VW ecu and the S10 PCM to control the transmission.

I tried asking on the tdi swapped truck facebook page and everyone got all up in arms about "why don't you just connect it to the vw ecu normally" and how I'm gonna kill myself or someone else...its pretty annoying. I design sensors for a living, I know how this stuff works which is why I'm testing everything beforehand lol

Its honestly pretty dumb on VWs part though to not put simple pin descriptions. GMs diagrams are so much simpler and way more informative.
Old July 28th, 2018, 20:24   #49
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
and how I'm gonna kill myself or someone else...its pretty annoying.
you should try looking for a firmware to run a VE tdi off a microsquirt
jesus those guys are rabid about their 'die by wire'

personal responsibility is dead
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:52   #50
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
you should try looking for a firmware to run a VE tdi off a microsquirt
jesus those guys are rabid about their 'die by wire'
personal responsibility is dead
Yeah, at least I'm doing my due diligence so they can think whatever they want. At least I'm trying to make something that's already automotive grade and designed to already do the job i want it to do, vs using some low grade microcontroller and trusting it
Old July 29th, 2018, 13:41   #51
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
Yeah, at least I'm doing my due diligence so they can think whatever they want. At least I'm trying to make something that's already automotive grade and designed to already do the job i want it to do, vs using some low grade microcontroller and trusting it
Eh, I'm of the opinion that runaways happen. At least if the QA gets siezed or stuck at 5v then the shut down solenoid still does its job.
Same if your pedal mods manage to stick the TPS at WOT.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 07:37   #52
evguy1

I did the same thing on a Ranger automatic that I did a TDI swap on.

Had to add a pot to the pedal output to get the correct voltage to the Ranger ECU but it has been working fine for the last 3 years.
Sorry, I don't have a pinout or remember what wire it was that I tee'd into for the signal.
The Ranger ECU also needed a crank (RPM) signal and I added a Digital Dakota box in that line so I could feed the ECU any RPM signal I wanted in order to adjust shift points. It worked well.
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 11:09   #53
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evguy1 View Post
I did the same thing on a Ranger automatic that I did a TDI swap on.

Had to add a pot to the pedal output to get the correct voltage to the Ranger ECU but it has been working fine for the last 3 years.
Sorry, I don't have a pinout or remember what wire it was that I tee'd into for the signal.
The Ranger ECU also needed a crank (RPM) signal and I added a Digital Dakota box in that line so I could feed the ECU any RPM signal I wanted in order to adjust shift points. It worked well.
Been looking at your thread since it seemed like you did the same thing I'm trying to do, just with the ford equivalent. Glad to know you got it working and its been fine. No worries about the pinout, I'm just gonna rip everything out of the Passat one of these days hook everything up, and start probing around.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 05:45   #54
IdontownaVW

If it uses the mk4 styled pedal I can try to poke around on the plug in my mk1 next time I'm in the garage but don't remember if the heater box blocked my access...it got a little tight in there.

Just found this on another thread, but not sure if it's exactly what you're after!

Quote:
MK4/5 Accelerator Pedal, 1x6 terminal

1 - F8 Engine Control Unit (Kickdown Switch: 0-90% = 9+V >90% = 0V)
2 - G79 Engine Control Unit (5.0V)
3 - G79 Engine Control Unit (GND)
4 - G79 Engine Control Unit (0% = 0.35V 25% = 1.1V 50% = 1.7V 75% = 2.3V 100% = 2.85V max = 4.5V)
5 - F60 Engine Control Unit (Idle switch - Signal: 0% = 0V, >1% = 2.785V)
6 - F60 Engine Control Unit (Idle switch - Ground)

Last edited by IdontownaVW; August 2nd, 2018 at 05:48.
IdontownaVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 10:21   #55
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Default Engine finally pulled

Just a small update, been a busy Summer. Got the TDI drivetrain pulled. Gonna give it a quick wash and get it on the stand for the BSM delete and to inspect the camshaft. So glad to finally have this out, gonna pull the rest of the wiring from the car and clean my garage now lol

Last edited by d0u8l3m; September 3rd, 2018 at 07:41.
Old September 5th, 2018, 00:20   #56
TDI-Sami

Default good stuf

I didn't see the year of that Passat, it looks like all the parts I think I'm going to need. I was told everything was longitudinal these days, I don't want to hijack your thread but could you p/m me I have a load of questions for you.
Thanks,
John
TDI-Sami is offline   Reply With Quote