www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Old March 25th, 2019, 18:06   #16
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebjr View Post
Sounds interesting.... I'm ready for a rode trip.
Are you willing to orchestrate the event or you're just interested in a road trip?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 18:19   #17
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Same stuff just a different day......the greatest 20 years of my life......sorry to see it gone
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 19:58   #18
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebjr View Post
Sounds interesting.... I'm ready for a rode trip.
Yep, all you need now is three members dedicating a lot of time and energy to find a location and negotiate a contract and then 6 volunteers to help organize, staff and run the event.

Then you could take your road trip!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2019, 18:43   #19
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Personally I think we need to come up with something different other than TDI fests as a fundraiser for the site.
Old April 4th, 2019, 01:02   #20
Farley

TDI(s): Jetta,beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Personally I think we need to come up with something different other than TDI fests as a fundraiser for the site.

Would this be excluding the gtg then? Or still including a gtg?
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:53   #21
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta DSG
Fuel Economy: Max 54, 44 avg

I also have to agree that I don't see how much longer the site can go on like this. My first 10 years here were great and I spend a lot of time than I would admit to.

Very sad time, but I also don't spend much time here anymore, some of that is work and family but some is the lack activity here.
Old April 13th, 2019, 16:15   #22
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSTDI View Post
some is the lack activity here.
Define lack of activity and what are you looking for that you found in the past but do not find now?
Old April 13th, 2019, 16:27   #23
vwxyzero
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Define lack of activity and what are you looking for that you found in the past but do not find now?
How about starting a thread on steam power? Exploit your passion!
There seems to be a lot of members who have either vanished, or are driving something other than a VW TDI. I need to update my profile to include my Baker Electric (read Fiat 500e)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
vwxyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 17:00   #24
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwxyzero View Post
How about starting a thread on steam power?
No, it has no relevance here. I post about steam engines on appropriate sites. Why does a guy that drives a fiat even care what we post here? Let alone in a TDI fest thread. There is plenty of daily activity here and many of the original members have since matured and are not looking for alternative cars that they can post here about In all reality within the next 10 years the VW TDI will be a rare bird indeed as they are not and probably will not be produced for sale in NA anymore. Hence the following has shrunk in both age and enthusiasm for a nationwide gathering. As I always say the only constant is change. And the times they are a changing. Enjoy a TDI while you still can.

Last edited by MichaelB; April 13th, 2019 at 17:02.
Old April 13th, 2019, 17:45   #25
vwxyzero
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No, it has no relevance here. I post about steam engines on appropriate sites. Why does a guy that drives a fiat even care what we post here? Let alone in a TDI fest thread. There is plenty of daily activity here and many of the original members have since matured and are not looking for alternative cars that they can post here about In all reality within the next 10 years the VW TDI will be a rare bird indeed as they are not and probably will not be produced for sale in NA anymore. Hence the following has shrunk in both age and enthusiasm for a nationwide gathering. As I always say the only constant is change. And the times they are a changing. Enjoy a TDI while you still can.
I still own my VW TDI(s,) and IDI(s,) but they're no longer my daily driver, and are currently registered non-op, maybe until they become classics or antiques. I don't drive the distance I used to, so they don't make sense for local home to work and back commuting.

My bigger point (and why I picked up on your steam locomotive interest,) is because what's missing here that has vanished is the passion this forum once had. Last time I logged in on my computer there were three times as many non-members looking at the site then there were members. A sign of people that have a newly rekindled interest? Or noobs just looking to sell their TDI? I don't know because they're basically invisible.

Frankly the forum has lost the pizzas it once had, and honestly I'd be interested in your passion for steam power, I'm sure it beats what I've seen here lately. If you're not interested in posting about steam in the other discussion section of the forum, fine; what's the name of the site where you talk about steam? Got a link? I'm actually interested in older technology - a lot more so than I would be in driving to a TDI fest. I don't have that kind of time or interest anymore; it all went kind of poof during Dieselgate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
vwxyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 18:26   #26
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Man,
You're in California and I am in Wisconsin. I am a volunteer at the Mid Continent railway museum. My passion for obsolete tech includes pocket watches and lighthouses, grain threshing and many others but in no way shape or form am I going to introduce that here. I just like my 2014 TDI so I read and post here. I do not know why you dug into the listed interests in my profile. You can PM me if you like but that being said...........well if you want to support this group do it or just remain silent about its destiny. Things change for a reason just like other obsolete technology.
Old April 14th, 2019, 03:54   #27
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think membership and activity on this site is on the rise, after hitting a post-dieselgate low a couple years ago. The bought back cars are bringing in a lot of new members.

However, the new cars aren't nearly as mod-friendly as the older TDIs. And they're harder to owner maintain because of the need for different tools and technology, and because they're more complex. So a lot of the posts here are more about fuel economy, what's covered under the emissions warranty, common issues with the newer cars, and (still) posts about tunes. Not as exciting as 15 years ago.

But this site is still far, far better than any other auto enthusiast sites I visit. I applaud Fred for keeping this ad-free: just go to a competitor site to see how annoying ads can be.
Old April 14th, 2019, 09:12   #28
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I think membership and activity on this site is on the rise, after hitting a post-dieselgate low a couple years ago. The bought back cars are bringing in a lot of new members.

However, the new cars aren't nearly as mod-friendly as the older TDIs. And they're harder to owner maintain because of the need for different tools and technology, and because they're more complex. So a lot of the posts here are more about fuel economy, what's covered under the emissions warranty, common issues with the newer cars, and (still) posts about tunes. Not as exciting as 15 years ago.

But this site is still far, far better than any other auto enthusiast sites I visit. I applaud Fred for keeping this ad-free: just go to a competitor site to see how annoying ads can be.
But how long is it going to last with no Fest to raise money.....and no way to raise money except people donations.....I still spend time on the site nearly everyday but donít post much now....
Old April 14th, 2019, 09:48   #29
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
But how long is it going to last with no Fest to raise money.....and no way to raise money except people donations.....I still spend time on the site nearly everyday but donít post much now....
Just a question....how much money did the previous TDI Fests generate to keep this site ad free? Maybe Fred should charge a let's say 5 dollar membership fee. Still very cheap for the privilege to post and gain knowledge here. I'm sure most of the guests and lurkers here did not attend any fests anyway.
Old April 14th, 2019, 11:04   #30
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

I don't really Know but I would say thousands....