www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old January 11th, 2016, 14:04   #1
p930man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: jetta 40-50
Default Need a mechanic in Tacoma.

Hello folks, I have not been on line for a while. The problem we have is my fiancees son is stationed in Tacoma, he is having some cooling issues. He claims it losses coolant, then he will top it off so the coolant lite goes out.
Then after driving the lite comes back on. The reservoir is empty again, if he leaves it over night the coolant comes back. Folks, I have a degree in Physics and this makes no sense to me. The bottom line is we need to find a good honest TDI mechanic in Tacoma Wa. This young man needs some help.

Best Regards, P930man
p930man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:18   #2
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

under the 101 forum is a list of trusted Mechanics. My work computer wont let me open it to look, but I think the nearest is Portland, Ore.

There is a shop near Tacoma I would trust . the owner does a call in auto talk show on a local radio station every saturday. Tom Turner. His shop is Performance Auto 34703 16 ave S. Federal Way. 253-927-2079. email is KVIAUTOGUY@aol.com

but if its loosing a lot of water and no puddle, guess would be head gasket. When running uses water, When parked it leaks air into cooling passages and pushes water back into the overflow bottle.

What year TDI does he have?? someone with experiance in that model might have suggestions for you.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 16:59   #3
p930man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: jetta 40-50

I thought it might be head gasket as well, I told him to check his oil for water and excessive pressure at the tank. He claims there is no apparent fluid leak that he can see. He brought the car to the Firestone near the base and told hims it's his heater hoses. It's 2006 Jetta, it has +/- 200k on the car, they want 600$ plus to do the work.
I'm afraid they are trying to take advantage of a young Army kid. Thanks for your help.
By the way he did just drive it from Houston to Tacoma in Dec.

Best Regards, p930man.
p930man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:02   #4
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

I am no certified auto mechanic but If he needs someone to take a quick look to agree or disagree with what he was told, I could do that. was going to offer sooner but spent the last several days helping a church group with something, driving over the mountain pass several times in last week, and had to wait and be done with that mess.

My son was Army MP, 2 tours Iraq. Took him over a year to spool down after he got out. originally was thinking police when he signed up MP but after he got out decided he never wants to touch a real gun again. Works online gaming dept for a company, playing with pretend guns now.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:14   #5
alhutch
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Matt @ Zahntech in Redmond might be an option to consider:

http://www.zahntechauto.com/
alhutch is offline   Reply With Quote