Suggestion for new BRM camshaft?

Green_Streak

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg. 1
167k miles and the factory camshaft is toast. Given that I'd rather this never happen again, are there any options to avoid having to put a camshaft on the list of normal wear items to replace with the TB/WP every 80k?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's some debate here regarding whether or not any of the replacement camshafts are going to last longer than OE. Short answer is there's not enough data to say for sure. Many come from the same supplier (Estas) that ours do.

Gurus do agree that using a good 5W40 oil (some insist on 505.01, some don't) will extend cam life. If you got 167K out of your original and use the correct oil on the replacement it should last the rest of the life of the car.

eldar2000

TDI
2006 Jetta
I ordered from IDParts, but I hear if you have enough $ to spend it's worth looking at Franko6's kit: http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=680{29}56{27}57{40}59
They say to honor warranty you need to include the chrome plating, break-in oil and bearings, which gets pricey, quick. Good luck!

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
...If you got 167K out of your original and use the correct oil on the replacement it should last the rest of the life of the car.
These are pretty well built cars aside from the cam and dual mass flywheel issues. Well maintained there is no reason they cannot go 500K miles or more. Therefore I strongly disagree with IBW on any replacement cam lasting the remaining life of the car.

Aligning expectations with reality will make for a more satisfying ownership experience.;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe the life of the car for this owner. oilhammer reports seeing BEWs and BRMs with well over 200K on them and original cams, as long as they're using a 40 weight oil. My point is that we don't have data that shows any one replacement cam will last longer than another. Your own experience would bear that out. ;)

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
I went with a colt stage 2 cam. I changed mine out at 178k miles (I avoided lifter schrapel thank goodness). The aftermarket was a forged billet, harder than chilled cast. At 1200 dollars for lifters, cam and fasteners, it's cheaper than a bunch of car payments! There's good youtube on how to change the camshaft w/o having to open the fuel lines. It took me 6-8 hours of time to change. If you are comfortable using torque wrenches and tightening stretch-to-yield bolts, its not a bad job. I are a engineer and am dangerous with a wrench, but I also know how to listen to instruction (for the most part). I just might perform a timing belt change when due! I considered frank06's cam, which I'm sure works fine. If you choose to go that route, definately go for the chrome plate option. Metalnerd's tools are also a big help. Another problem is the journal bearings wear. Mine didn't, as there was no tin or copper in the used oil analysis prior to the change. Upon inspection of the old journals, this bore true. There was no smearing of bearing metals.
If concerned, Frank06 offers the cut journal bearing option. I believe these were modified to allow better oil flow around the journals (I think-ask the vendor to be sure).

I did a no-no during the change...I added a lucas product - high zinc "break in additive", about 10 oz during the 15 minute break-in. This crap was like honey going in and is made for the thinning effects of alkie-burners (translation-race engines). I don't think I harmed anything as I drained it out straight away after the break in cycle. I haven't smoked a turbo bearing in 1000 miles since, so I think I'm OK (whew). Like I said, I listen to instructions for the most part. Break in oil would have been the better choice.\Cheers.

-I TDI'd in '09

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
167k miles and the factory camshaft is toast. Given that I'd rather this never happen again, are there any options to avoid having to put a camshaft on the list of normal wear items to replace with the TB/WP every 80k?
Naw, just every other TB change. ;) Really though, each cam vendor has their theories, take your pick which one you choose to ascribe to. They all think they have built a better mouse trap. I've done OEM, Colt and just put in Frank's. I am not holding my breath.

Maybe the life of the car for this owner. oilhammer reports seeing BEWs and BRMs with well over 200K on them and original cams, as long as they're using a 40 weight oil. My point is that we don't have data that shows any one replacement cam will last longer than another. Your own experience would bear that out. ;)
I have not seen nearly as many PD cams as Oilhammer has, but I have seen many that had to be replaced sub 200K miles. Your quality 5W40 oil recommendation is quite sound, but no silver bullet.

One trend I am seeing emerge is that OEM stock (and properly maintained) cars driven somewhat gently seem to have a far better chance for long cam life. Tuning and a lead foot seem to kill them faster. If that is so, a cam going into my engine is receiving a death sentence.:eek: