www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 12th, 2017, 14:42   #106
marmur99

No need to be mad. You have a loaner, so give them time to figure it out. Since it seems that you're not the only one with a bricked car, sooner or later they will have to solve this problem. There's a deadline in the settlement and time is working against them - not against you.
Enjoy your loaner.
marmur99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 15:25   #107
tadawson
Veteran Member

But the fix is not "done" or the car would be driveable . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 15:46   #108
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

But the defeat device has already been removed, apparently, so it doesn't matter whether the fix is done or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 18:51   #109
tadawson
Veteran Member

In *your* opinion . . . I wholeheartedly disagree that a bricked car is in any way "fixed" . . .
Old October 12th, 2017, 19:06   #110
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

I didn't say it was fixed, I said the defeat device was removed.

Reverting it would involve reinstalling the defeat device, and VW doesn't want to pay another $37,500 to do that, on top of replacing the mechatronics unit.

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old October 12th, 2017, 21:52   #111
craigldavis

TDI(s): 2009 JSW M/T

Logic: If in the process of applying the EPA approved emissions repair, a component of the vehicle was rendered inoperable then:

VW or the dealer would need to make that component operable once again as it was a direct result of their action.

Corollary: If, while your car in in the possession of the mechanic, said mechanics actions broke something on your car (say he cracked the radio touch screen by accident) it would be thier reaponsibility to replace it.

Therefore: I would expect VW to replace the transmission components rendered inoperable by their actions.

Bonus: VW is required to give you a loaner car until they complete the repairs.

Practical translation: keep your loaner as long as you want. If they never fix your car you get a free loaner for life. VW probably won’t want that to happen so I’m sure they will eventually fix the transmission update issue or replace the components in to necessary to get your car operable again.
Old October 13th, 2017, 09:01   #112
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
I didn't say it was fixed, I said the defeat device was removed.

Reverting it would involve reinstalling the defeat device, and VW doesn't want to pay another $37,500 to do that, on top of replacing the mechatronics unit.
What twisted, warped, failed logic are you using? Not working == not fixed, and putting it back as it was is not 'installing a defeat device', it's 'leaving it alone', since there was *NEVER* a legal requirement to fix that car. Kinda comes under double jeopardy - you can't be in violation for leaving it as it was, no matter the route to get there, since that car in that condition isn't illegal . . .
Old October 13th, 2017, 09:34   #113
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

I'm using, the car had a defeat device on it - the car was legal to operate, but there was kinda this whole big lawsuit over the defeat device being there in the first place.

The defeat device was removed as part of the repair process. A later part of the repair process failed, however.

Reverting the repair attempt would require reinstalling the defeat device.

That is illegal - even if it doesn't make the car illegal for the owner to drive, it is illegal for Volkswagen or the dealer to do it.

Quote:
Old October 13th, 2017, 10:51   #114
740GLE
Veteran Member

The fix was a software ECU and TCU upgrade to meet EPA compliance. As it's the driverline that was approved, heck the 2012-2014 Passat manual driveline hasn't been approved.

The ECU part took, yeah sure the "defeat device" portion of the ECU is removed, but it even reverting back to stock DSG tuning won't meet EPA requirements. I don't think the DSG software has very minimal effect with with how the engine creates NOx compared to the ECU program, but VW had to go the extra mile to get everything they could from stock emissions components, hence why they changed the shift paterns of the DSG.

Feeling it's an all or none.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 14:43   #115
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
I'm using, the car had a defeat device on it - the car was legal to operate, but there was kinda this whole big lawsuit over the defeat device being there in the first place.

The defeat device was removed as part of the repair process. A later part of the repair process failed, however.

Reverting the repair attempt would require reinstalling the defeat device.

That is illegal - even if it doesn't make the car illegal for the owner to drive, " it is illegal for Volkswagen or the dealer to do it".
I think that last part I put in quotes is close and may be true, but we, nor VW, nor the dealer knows for sure and they dont want to take the chance.

I haven't been following this thread very close so I'm not sure if TADawson has a bricked car, but if so, he should be putting his argument to VW because there is some validity to what he is saying. They may tell him to wet up a rope, but I feel that his energies are best put there.
Old October 13th, 2017, 14:54   #116
tadawson
Veteran Member

Nope, 2013 Passat, not subject to this issue . . . thankfully . . .
Old October 15th, 2017, 00:47   #117
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
I went back to pick up another loner (was on the road the past few weeks)

also updated first post here with a summary (let me know or post here, and I will update the first post)

the service rep I talked to said VW called them today to verify that they still have all the cars affected. she considered this a hopeful sign. (why, I do not know)

I joked that the 2016 CC they gave me as a loner would be my daily driver for the next six months.

I asked them for a loaner with a roof rack. no dice.

plans to drive the JSW to upstate NY for some fishing next week, using the car top tent camper.

this is getting serious, interfering with a fishing trip!
Ha, if I were in the same boat as you, I'd spend some money on a Bosal hitch and just tow around a trailer in the loaner. VW would hate me, because I'd easily rack up 10-20K miles on a loaner by the time it was returned.

Personally, I think y'all with 2009 DSGs should file a class action, considering that VW has deep pockets.
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 14:13   #118
tadawson
Veteran Member

Myself, I'd consider reporting it stolen . . . You own it, and they are keeping it against your will . . . (Not to mention having rendered it undriveable . . . what's that? Destruction of property?)
Old October 15th, 2017, 14:43   #119
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

^ I don't think that would end well. You're likely to end up with a non-functional car dropped in your driveway and a shop who will refuse to deal with you, and as for them having rendered it undriveable, the fact (and it IS a fact) that you were offered a rental car for the duration will mean you would get laughed out of court should it ever get that far.

"But the rental car uses more gas than my TDI did" - cry me a river; it's essentially being given to you for free.
"But the rental car won't tow my trailer" - I'm sure if you were NICE about it, and had a friendly chat with the rental agency, you could be put into something that will. (And bear in mind that the official towing rating of your TDI wasn't much, so if you were illegally towing a trailer that was over the car's towing rating ... yeah, that'll go over well.)
"But the rental car isn't as <whatever> as my TDI" - again, cry me a river, it's being offered to you for free.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 15:41   #120
tadawson
Veteran Member

So if I rob a jewelery store, and offersome piece of crap as a 'here, use this in the meantime' offering, that would be OK as well? Your logic escapes me . . . Demand return, and sue for damages. They clearly know how to make this right, but won't. Were there no fix, you could drive it indefinitely. Clearly there is no fix at this time, and a botched attempt does not change the situation . . . they just do it later, as has been the case all along, when they have it right. In the meantime, they are obligated to revert the car to original, known functional condition.

(And considering that a botched fix was not addressed in the settlement, I can't fathom that the court would prohibit a back out of the partial until they get it right, and *this* is the point that needs to be pressed with the court . . .)

Last edited by tadawson; October 15th, 2017 at 15:43.