www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 12th, 2017, 07:25   #76
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by duteman2 View Post
The DUK is not so bad, very liveable. Hi gear is not high enough to suit me but I was not going to spend another thousand bucks for a sixth gear and the FHN's ratios, while a bit better, did not seem worth waiting for, and extra coin, so, I'll just have to live with it! I'm usually a Bilstein guy but got a deal on orange Koni's for 50% off from Kerma, so, I went with those. I got mildly lowered... About 3/4 of an inch... H&R springs from Modded Euros, also for 50% off. It's a good package, no longer a cushy family car but it's not harsh at all, a bit bouncy on bad pavement, but it really handles well. There is a new bridge on I95 in New Haven, Ct and the merge from I91 south onto I95 east is a two lane "S" curve onto the bridge. It's almost... but not quite... perfectly banked and this car takes it at 65 just flat and smooth. Love it!

You mean the Q bridge? That's sick, I'm on the other side of the state over in Tolland and we have some nice twisties and back roads around that I have a blast on with the tiptronic. You basically said all the reasons I went with a DUK too, way cheaper and less of a hassle. An extra gear would be nice, but not cost effective on such an old car. Though there is a white 2015 6 speed TDI I saw at a VW dealer, that would probably be worth it if you don't mind a car payment.

I'm keeping the stock springs on, I didn't want to lower the car at all with all the potholes and crap we have in good ole CT. If its still too stiff, I might look into springs, too bad that sale isn't still going on.
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:54   #77
duteman2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
You mean the Q bridge? That's sick, I'm on the other side of the state over in Tolland and we have some nice twisties and back roads around that I have a blast on with the tiptronic. You basically said all the reasons I went with a DUK too, way cheaper and less of a hassle. An extra gear would be nice, but not cost effective on such an old car. Though there is a white 2015 6 speed TDI I saw at a VW dealer, that would probably be worth it if you don't mind a car payment.
I'm keeping the stock springs on, I didn't want to lower the car at all with all the potholes and crap we have in good ole CT. If its still too stiff, I might look into springs, too bad that sale isn't still going on.
The "New-Q", right! Beautiful bridge. A new TDI would be great, but, the price is right for fixing up this Passat wagon. I've had Golf's and Jetta's, old and newer, and our first TDI was a 2006 Passat sedan... all the rest are TDI's and we even have an e-Golf (NICE car, for another discussion...) and while the convenience electronics on this Passat are crude by modern standards it still rides great, has gobs of interior room, is very comfortable... even with the spring kit... and with a new interior and paint job I'll be into it for about 1/4 the cost of a 2015 TDI. So what if it revs about 500RPM higher at speed? I still think I'll be able to squeeze 47-48MPG out of it on a long trip. It would take a long time to make up the fuel savings! Like you, I just can't justify the costs... and it's a darn nice car, all things considered.

Last edited by duteman2; June 13th, 2017 at 11:05.
duteman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 13:48   #78
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

Quote:
The "New-Q", right! Beautiful bridge. A new TDI would be great, but, the price is right for fixing up this Passat wagon. I've had Golf's and Jetta's, old and newer, and our first TDI was a 2006 Passat sedan... all the rest are TDI's and we even have an e-Golf (NICE car, for another discussion...) and while the convenience electronics on this Passat are crude by modern standards it still rides great, has gobs of interior room, is very comfortable... even with the spring kit... and with a new interior and paint job I'll be into it for about 1/4 the cost of a 2015 TDI. So what if it revs about 500RPM higher at speed? I still think I'll be able to squeeze 47-48MPG out of it on a long trip. It would take a long time to make up the fuel savings! Like you, I just can't justify the costs... and it's a darn nice car, all things considered.
So...if i bring a 6 pack can I come check out that e-golf

Seriously though, this generation of Volkswagens (mk4/b5) is still my favorite. The total cost ill be into my car is much less than a "new" 2015 and its not a boat like the new passats. I haven't really been in anything too new to really compare, but the kenwood radio I have + android auto on my phone is all I need in the car. Everything else is just a distraction or annoying IMO. I never have to touch or look at my phone either, just say "ok google play/open/reply etc..." and listen to the instructions.

Side note, are there any TDI shows or anything coming up in CT? Need to take a cruise once I swap mine to see how the MPG rating changes.
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 12:00   #79
duteman2
Veteran Member

Default Stuff...

Lol! Sure, a 6-pack or a pitcher of Manhattans! The e-Golf is a killer car. Extremely well built, Mercedes quality, no lie. It's all hand built on one assembly line in Germany and you can tell. It is a leased car going back in August. It is a great car with limited range, only about 100 if you are frugal with the juice... But what's the fun in that!?! Truly this car is a rocket ship, torque out the wazoo, fun fun FUN to drive. All that battery weight down low makes it as solid as a rock, you can whip it around corners, big grins all 'round! The technology is improving so quickly... The next generation is reputed to get more than 200 miles on a charge... Worth waiting for. 300, now that would be something. They'll be coming off leases pretty soon and might be cheap at auction.

I agree about the new Passat, Americanized, American built. Just not the same. Bluetooth head units are available pretty cheap these days, I think a nice Alpine or Pioneer double-din unit could really up the game and make the car modern... Almost! It's low on my priority list right now. Have fun with the conversion!
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:01   #80
duteman2
Veteran Member

Default Project update!

OK, so I've lived with this car for a few months, commute 35 miles each way every day. So far, I have mostly positive things to say about the build. LOVE the engine work. The stage 2 tune is perfect. The car should have been shipped that way, IMHO. The heavier clutch is no problem for me, I used to be a VOLVO guy back in the 70's... those huge clutches were about the same feel, nothing too strenuous. I am learning to love the 5-speed, would like another gear... NO PROBLEM at all with Fran's parts, shifts are crisp and tight. I highly recommend his services, it's been a great experience. Superb quality on the parts. Mike McCann has been great. His work is first-rate and his prices fair. We did have a minor coolant leak after a few weeks driving that was the temp sensor and housing issue, I'm sure it was just time do do it, normal wear, and Mike took care of it. I might suggest that if anyone is doing a similar swap with an unknown service record on the project car's engine to just go ahead and change these parts out while the tranny is out.

NOW FOR THE NOT SO GREAT: I am LESS than happy with the suspension mods I made... but that's not the car's fault. I put some lowering, tighter H&R springs and red KONI's on it. I LOVE the way it rides and handles on the highway, on smooth roads... it's amazing. I can take typical ramps and merges pretty much flat-out if I wanted to, the suspension just sticks... handles flat, very nice. Get it on ANY bumpy urban surface and the car is almost un-drivable. I do think I'll be putting stock springs back on it.

UP NEXT-STILL TO DO: My next step is to have the Interior freshened and the body un-dinged and painted. I'm likely going to get through the winter before doing that. I also am going to up grade the Audio and Tech systems... I MIGHT do that before the paintwork!

Anyway, I hope this thread had inspired some folks to go ahead on with this project. These cars are really nice once you get that auto trans out of them!
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:26   #81
imo000
Veteran Member

Ae the replacemrnt springs stiffer than stock?
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 13:04   #82
vwztips
Veteran Member

What size tires do you have? I have found 17's to be rough. 16's are a good compromise between ride and handling. 15's are best for ride.

I have H&R springs on mine that only lower it 1/2". Have Bilsteins HD's on front and the stock shocks on the back. It sits well and rides well for the most part. I have 17's on mine but it is not unbearable.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 14:41   #83
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I've got my wagon on Eibach 1" lowered springs on Koni FSDs. Definitely firmer than stock, and does get upset on really crappy/rutted pavement, but I would take my setup over the wishy-washy stock setup any day.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 15:18   #84
AllenAlic

Fuel Economy: 35 Mpg

Fifth time reading this thread, inpatiently �� waiting for my trans from Frans, sending the Ecu to Malone next week and picking up a Vag Com. Can't wait to get the "Vee Dub" back on the road. Once I get mine done a buddy might be interested in picking one up on the cheap, ( a ton with bad transmissions on the web) set him up with a manual and a BSD. These cars are so great to work on, what a difference between this and a GM product.

Last edited by AllenAlic; October 12th, 2017 at 20:07.
AllenAlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 07:51   #85
duteman2
Veteran Member

Default Update to the update!

Yes, I'm riding 17's. I have set of wheels/tires of 16" and 15", but think the lowered springs with 15"'s is just too low, but I'll put them on and try them again. I like the look of my 17" wheels though! Yes, the H&R's are stiffer than stock. I really do like the ride on good surfaces. Enough that I'm on the fence about switching them out, I might just accept that this is a hi-way-cruiser set up and leave it at that!
Old October 13th, 2017, 07:58   #86
duteman2
Veteran Member

Default ...on the cheap...

Yeah, no doubt, these cars are available all over the place at blow-out prices. All the Auto-transmissions seem to have reached their useable life, all about the same time. "Dropping like flies". Had I been more patient I'm sure I could have held out for a car with a perfect interior, no dings... a garage queen, but, I got mine for a fair price so I'm living with it. It sure runs nice! The Malone Stage II is awesome. Pulls-Pulls-Pulls, smooth power all the way to redline without breaking a sweat. Can chirp the tires in second... easily. My Hi-Way MPG, at 70MPH, has been no better that 46, but I think if I really behaved myself, on a long road trip, I'd see an average close to 50. A taller gear would really be nice... I'm not sure the numbers work for a 6-speed though, is increases the cost of the conversion tremendously.

Last edited by duteman2; October 26th, 2017 at 09:41.
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:05   #87
duteman2
Veteran Member

Default ...another thought...

I did sell that V6 4Motion wagon to a guy who is going to have Mike McCann convert it. They are looking for "the right" parts car now. I had considered converting this car myself, it was in such nice condition. The biggest stumbling block in such a conversion is the electronics, and Mike confirmed that the '04's are OK in that department, essentially just making the connections, modifying where needed, no huge CANBUS issues. I think you would really need a full parts car though because all the under-the-hood bits would need to be swapped. That said, there seem to be a ton of really nice 4Motion V6 wagons out there, and many owners have had it, and freak out when they get a transmission rebuild estimate. Ripe for the pickin', I think...I'm still considering finding another car... I do want to finish this one first though.

Last edited by duteman2; October 13th, 2017 at 08:15.
Old October 13th, 2017, 13:13   #88
imo000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm riding 17's. I have set of wheels/tires of 16" and 15", but think the lowered springs with 15"'s is just too low, but I'll put them on and try them again. I like the look of my 17" wheels though! Yes, the H&R's are stiffer than stock. I really do like the ride on good surfaces. Enough that I'm on the fence about switching them out, I might just accept that this is a hi-way-cruiser set up and leave it at that!
If you increase the sidewall thickness of the 15s, it will not be too low.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 13:36   #89
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Meh, I'm on 17's lowered with stiffer shocks. The suspension on mine is perfectly livable.

15's are so old-school...

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 13:51   #90
vwztips
Veteran Member

True, but I can easily pick up 2-3 MPG with 15's over 17's
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote