www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 12th, 2017, 11:25   #1
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default Heated Seat Question

The seats in my Golf are not the OEM that came with the car. The PO replaced them with the cloth red sport seats (found in the GTI/Wolfsburg I believe). I've heard that the cloth seats came in the heated or non-heated versions. I'm under the assumption that the plugs are on the inside of the seats pointed towards the center console for running the wire purposes. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to identify if they are heated or not with the seats bolted down? I know I'm looking for a green plug but I'm a bit too tall and awkward to get my head down in there that I've tried.

That being said I've see a few harness sets on ebay that are aftermarket. Does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-4-Mk...38.m2548.l4275
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:51   #2
dataflow

TDI(s): PD100

Am
In Wales so
I bought mine from Kufatec in Germany. Works fine
dataflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:52   #3
dataflow

You could take a video if the underside of your seat using a smart phone. I do that when working on the engine if I can't see properly.
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:57   #4
KrashDH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataflow View Post
You could take a video if the underside of your west using a smart phone. I do that when working on the engine if I can't see properly.
Good call data, I'll try that.
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:05   #5
KrashDH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Am
In Wales so
I bought mine from Kufatec in Germany. Works fine
Right on I just looked them up. That's a great price compared to OEM. I'll have to see what the shipping is to the US. I sure hope my seats are heated I'm going to check at lunch! I know the red sports were supposedly rare.

Edit: shipping from Germany is 25 EU through them. I might have to look around

Last edited by KrashDH; October 12th, 2017 at 12:07.
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:29   #6
drucifer
Veteran Member

I'm lost about your situation. Why would you look under the seat for a plug when you can look at the dash. I can't see anybody removing seat heater switches and putting in blanks.
drucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:35   #7
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

He just wants to know if the seat has the proper guts. Like if someone switched the seats and didn't plug them in or he wants to add that feature.
I always thought heated seats were only leather, but I've read different here on this wonderful forum.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:37   #8
dataflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrashDH View Post
Right on I just looked them up. That's a great price compared to OEM. I'll have to see what the shipping is to the US. I sure hope my seats are heated I'm going to check at lunch! I know the red sports were supposedly rare.

Edit: shipping from Germany is 25 EU through them. I might have to look around

If you did end up with the Kufatec one there is a good write up on install on uk-Mikvs.net. The wiring is all grey and they are labelled in German. That said with the write up it is Simple enough to do. Good luck in any case
Old October 12th, 2017, 13:55   #9
KrashDH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post
I'm lost about your situation. Why would you look under the seat for a plug when you can look at the dash. I can't see anybody removing seat heater switches and putting in blanks.
The previous owner installed/had the red sport seats installed in this Golf. There were no heater switches/heated OEM seats in this model, so there are blanks in the dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
He just wants to know if the seat has the proper guts. Like if someone switched the seats and didn't plug them in or he wants to add that feature.
I always thought heated seats were only leather, but I've read different here on this wonderful forum.
Correct. I wasn't sure either if the cloth had the heated option. I was actually able to twist myself and look from the front of the seat up under, and BAM, there was the green plug staring at my face. So far the red sport seats I've come across online all have had the heater option.

Quote:
If you did end up with the Kufatec one there is a good write up on install on uk-Mikvs.net. The wiring is all grey and they are labelled in German. That said with the write up it is Simple enough to do. Good luck in any case
Yeah the install seems pretty straight forward for the Kufatec or something similar for that matter. I think it tells you to use a switched and constant power source from the fuse panel, ground to the seat rail, and tap into the dimmer switch wire for the lights on the switches.

Looks like I'm in business now I'll have to get on trying to get a harness for this, route it, and hook it up. Shouldn't be too bad other than routing the wiring, I'll have to read on how to get all of that plastic out of there down to the carpet so I can run the wiring. I know there were some people making harnesses on other forums, but probably don't come cheap. I'll have to look around
Old October 12th, 2017, 15:50   #10
KrashDH
Veteran Member

After some back and forth with the seller of the harness in the first post, I pulled the trigger on that and some OEM switches. Came in under $80 for everything. Should be worth every penny.
Old October 12th, 2017, 18:49   #11
Norman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-50ish

Had you chosen Kufatec, the following links would have been perfect for you:

Kufatec USA: https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/volks...s-vw-audi-seat

How-To (put it all together): http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/16514-how-...ted-seat-loom/
Post #89 in particular is relevant to the US market.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 19:36   #12
KrashDH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Had you chosen Kufatec, the following links would have been perfect for you:

Kufatec USA: https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/volks...s-vw-audi-seat

How-To (put it all together): http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/16514-how-...ted-seat-loom/
Post #89 in particular is relevant to the US market.
Thanks for the links. I have that second one stored away. The first link I looked at. I have manual seats. Also It was hard to justify the 25 bucks for shipping. I'll see how the other harness works out
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:21   #13
Norman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-50ish

Quote:
... I have manual seats. ..
Yep, this is the one for the manual seats: https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/retro...udi-seat-skoda

That was the one I used as well, and feedback from others on Fred's who'd done this before me all recommended the Kufatec harness because it was the closest to OEM (and could be the OEM supplier from the looks of it).

Good luck with your install.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:52   #14
KrashDH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Yep, this is the one for the manual seats: https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/retro...udi-seat-skoda
That was the one I used as well, and feedback from others on Fred's who'd done this before me all recommended the Kufatec harness because it was the closest to OEM (and could be the OEM supplier from the looks of it).
Good luck with your install.
Yeah it does look like a nice harness...couple of questions for you:

Is the Kufatec harness pictured the actual one? Reason I ask is on the Kufatec I see 4 cables all that have connectors on the ends of it. The one I purchased has 2 connectors (the ring terminal and one that plugs in the fuse box) and the other 2 are just loose wire.

From what I understand, the loose wires get spliced into a) the dimmer light power and b) The wires from fuse location S5 (gets a ring connector)

If that's the case, what's the point of the connectors on the end of the 2 wires for the Kufatec harness?

The guy on ebay I checked with said all of his customers have never had an issue with the harness. If it came down to it though, I always could purchase the Kufatec one. But winter is coming...

Last edited by KrashDH; October 13th, 2017 at 09:03.
Old October 13th, 2017, 10:07   #15
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
From what I understand, the loose wires get spliced into a) the dimmer light power and b) The wires from fuse location S5 (gets a ring connector)
If I understand it correctly it uses the dash light dimmer for power?
If so do you need to dim the lights to shut the heated seats in the summer when you drive at night?
The Kufatec one does not included the correct control switches.
Hopefully not the original bad ones VW had a recall on.
I'm not even sure it could handle the power.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote