www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old October 4th, 2017, 08:15   #16
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Mike, I enjoy reading about long road trips. Sounds like the new TDI preformed awesomely well! Oh, and you drove right by my location north of Knoxville over the state line in Kentucky.

I've driven the Alaskan Highway 9 times since 1986. As I recall, in 1986 there was about 100 miles of gravel beginning at Liard Hot Springs going north.

Thanks for sharing.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 00:17   #17
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Mike, I enjoy reading about long road trips. Sounds like the new TDI preformed awesomely well! Oh, and you drove right by my location north of Knoxville over the state line in Kentucky.

I've driven the Alaskan Highway 9 times since 1986. As I recall, in 1986 there was about 100 miles of gravel beginning at Liard Hot Springs going north.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the note. Do you recall me waving at you on the Seward Highway the last time you were up? FWIW, I was exiting the SEE quickly to avoid any Irma effects. Not much dawdle time.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 06:57   #18
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Mike. Yes, I do remember...

It was our intent to return to Alaska this past summer. However, due to several delays before departing and then a couple breakdowns, we turned back at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan making a swing down through the Badlands on the return.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
Old October 5th, 2017, 16:14   #19
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Just found this thread. The Alaska Highway trip is also on my bucket list. Hopefully this next summer. I will have to do the trip alone, Anita says why don't I just fly. Both cheaper and quicker.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 00:13   #20
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Just found this thread. The Alaska Highway trip is also on my bucket list. Hopefully this next summer. I will have to do the trip alone, Anita says why don't I just fly. Both cheaper and quicker.
As for cheaper - maybe, depending on your choice of lodging. A tent and camping can be done quite cheaply. And obviously, like my wife, she's not one to enjoy a good road trip. The portion through Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Icefields Parkway alone are worthy of your attention. Enjoy your ride.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Old October 16th, 2017, 10:20   #21
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

On my bucket list as well. But I may try it with my Egg camper. Have to plan it out with parking spots for the night and finish some more upgrades in the camper.

Anyone make the trip up to the Arctic? Don't you have to get permit or permission for the last few miles?

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 00:51   #22
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
On my bucket list as well. But I may try it with my Egg camper. Have to plan it out with parking spots for the night and finish some more upgrades in the camper.

Anyone make the trip up to the Arctic? Don't you have to get permit or permission for the last few miles?

Jason
Depends on which road you take. If you take the North Slope Haul Road {The Dalton Highway, yes you'll need a permit beyond a certain point. If you choose the Dempster Highway in Yukon, you need no such permit. I'd prefer the Dempster anyway.

http://www.yukoninfo.com/region/dempster-highway/
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:27   #23
AndyBees
Veteran Member

The Dempster is awesome.

We drove it to Inuvik, NWT in 1993 with an 83 Air-cool Vanagon.

We've been back to the Arctic Circle several times since that first trip.

The Dempster begins about 25 miles east of Dawson City, Yukon ...... best I remember, it is about 230 miles to the Arctic Circle and another 245 miles on to Inuvik.

And, this is going to be an awesome addition beyond Inuvik.. (on my bucket list)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...hway-1.3526669
Old October 19th, 2017, 12:00   #24
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Only reason I know about Dempster is from watching Discovery Channel and Ice Road Truckers. Sounds like another drive added to my bucket list.

Jason

Last edited by SilverGhost; October 19th, 2017 at 12:12.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 01:26   #25
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

I've wanted to cycle the Dempster since the mid-80s. I read an article about a many who did it solo this summer and it looked awesome, but he got into some serious mud issues. If I drive it next fall, I'll at least have one of the bikes along. Maybe the fattie will be the best choice.
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:48   #26
lktango

TDI(s): '13 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post

Jason
I drove the haul road on our 2015 trip to Fairbanks. It was quiet due to flooding north of the Arctic Circle, pretty much no truck traffic. No permits were needed to get as far as the Arctic Circle and my passenger then was a gentleman who drives that road, delivering diesel to the North Slope. I have seen his videos of driving it in the winter with temps in the -50s. We are planning on driving to Inuvik next spring on our way (well sort of) to Fairbanks again. Also planning another side trip to Skagway to ride the train again. It's a great driving trip, lots of great scenery and interesting places to stop.
lktango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 17:23   #27
AK islandr

Fuel Economy: 52+ biofuel, 55 with petrol diesel, 100+ miles on reserve

Last time I drove the haul road was 2003. I was living in Fairbanks, the summer days are long, intending just to go over the Arctic Circle near Coldfoot. At that time the road was dirt, some potholes, and an occasional stretch of pavement in the middle of nothing. Frost heaves will do that. Seeing the Taiga was interesting, noting where the oil pipeline disappeared into the earth and reemerged, plus crossing the Yukon river were some highlights for me.
As for driving in Canada, I bring a couple of audio books, lots of CD's, and some philosophy pod casts to keep me company. Because I live in SE Alaska it is quicker for me to drive thru B.C. than taking the ferry. Also much cheaper and the scenery thru B.C. is beautiful either via ferry or driving.
84 Maroon Honda Accord LX 5 spd
81 Red Kawasaki GPz 550
AK islandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 09:12   #28
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default vPike dot com (looking at the haul road at Coldfoot

In the link below, pick up the little yellow stick man and place him on a Blue Line road... This is near Coldfoot, Alaska. You can do lots of things with it....

Note, you can us vPike.com to see most any road in North America and other places around he world.

https://www.vpike.com/?place=Coldfoo...treet+View&r=e
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:23   #29
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That is just Google maps embedded.
Old October 27th, 2017, 13:24   #30
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
That is just Google maps embedded.

Yep! And, better ....... at least for my purposes!