www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:37   #301
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
The flashing of a binary number?
a number 1 from a certain finger
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:57   #302
Graham Line
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Truth. Funny, my morning commute on I44, I get in the right lane, like I am supposed to do, and I do occasionally signal, move left, pass, signal, move right, to pass someone. But I pass more people by just staying in the right lane. Left lane campers, center lane campers, etc. Sometimes I make silly faces at them as I pass.
Sounds like I-5 in northwestern Oregon. On a door-to-door time basis, the left lane is the slowest of the three.
Graham Line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:53   #303
Dave_D
Veteran Member

I saw this article today and thought it might be relevant for this thread. If not, please moderate as appropriate:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/10/...-u-s-army.html
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:10   #304
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Not so revolutionary, that concept was used by Fairbanks-Morse in diesel locomotives and marine applications in the 40’s and 50’s!
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 13:09   #305
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_D View Post
I saw this article today and thought it might be relevant for this thread. If not, please moderate as appropriate:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/10/...-u-s-army.html
Since it's a 2 stroke, the emissions controls required to meet federal requirements are likely nuts. Of course, the military doesn't have to worry about the EPA or CARB.
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:33   #306
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
Not so revolutionary, that concept was used by Fairbanks-Morse in diesel locomotives and marine applications in the 40’s and 50’s!
And no stranger to military applications, either.
Those marine versions powered some of our diesel submarines.
Old October 5th, 2017, 13:58   #307
Chris B
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/48/40

Yes, definitely not new. Gemini has been working on a similar engine for primarily aircraft use but other applications are also possible. 3 cylinder O/P design as well. 100HP with just the blower, 125HP with added turbo. Gemini Diesel engines
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:15   #308
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I have a 1935 Ford that I can still get NOS parts for. But a lot of my 2003 Beetle parts are NLA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Well to be fair, lots of 2003 Ford parts are also NLA.
My understanding is that the manufacturers have to make parts available for 10 years (per law or an agreement) so for a 2003 VW or Ford 2013 is last year they are required to have parts available. This is one reason why the A4 platform VW's (1999.5-2004) are now slowly fading away - OEM parts are NLA and aftermarket parts are sometimes not up to OEM quality levels. Also means if one can still find OEM parts it may be cheap as suppliers do not want to keep stock on parts that there is a limited / shrinking market for.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:47   #309
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
My understanding is that the manufacturers have to make parts available for 10 years (per law or an agreement) so for a 2003 VW or Ford 2013 is last year they are required to have parts available. This is one reason why the A4 platform VW's (1999.5-2004) are now slowly fading away - OEM parts are NLA and aftermarket parts are sometimes not up to OEM quality levels. Also means if one can still find OEM parts it may be cheap as suppliers do not want to keep stock on parts that there is a limited / shrinking market for.

I have heard of that rule, or law, too. But I can tell you that there are MANY instances where that simply is not followed or enforced. The PT Cruiser alone is a rolling violation if that were the case.
Old December 6th, 2017, 12:08   #310
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

The ten year obligation is for Germany, AFAIK. Definitely not the US, the only obligation for parts availability here is for warranty or recall work, the manufacturer can even refuse to sell parts for a brand new car to an individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 16:23   #311
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 120 MPGe

Certain GM parts can't be ordered unless you prove you own the vehicle. For example, Z28 specific parts are restricted, so if you want to convert your new Camaro to a Z28, you need to prove you have a Z28 that the parts are going to go on.

For parts with a 10 year supply, I was told that's suppose to apply to imports that want to sell their cars here.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:17   #312
dogdots

TDI(s): None

The company I work for (global commercial printing/medical equipment manufacturer) guarantees parts availability for 7 years from the date the last machine rolls off the production line. I don't know if that is the standard for other types of manufacturing.
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:16   #313
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The issue for GM and ChryCo has been that the companies that manufactured cars just a few years ago simply no longer exist. So that is their "way out".

Chrysler has, in the last decade or so, changed hands a couple times. GM, in their long trip circling the drain that ended in bankruptcy, is a different company now, both in name and legal status. And they stiffed a BUNCH of suppliers. Do you think some plastics company that made tail lamp assemblies for a Pontiac Bonneville wants to continue to supply replacement parts just because?

Those two companies are the ones we've had the most trouble with. Other companies have changed hands (Jaguar, Volvo, Rover, Subaru, Nissan) and have not been as bad as ChryCo and GM.

Of course, the orphan models like the Vibe, Routan, Navajo, Crossfire, Summit, etc. have and always will be problematic. And the dumb thing is, the companies STILL do it. Express City, Spyder, Yaris iA, QX30, up-and-coming Supra, will all suffer a similar fate.

If there is strong enough demand for something, the aftermarket will step in and fill the gaps. It really just depends. The T3 Vanagons are, amazingly, able to not only be kept on the road but have all sorts up upgrades available to them, many of which address problems that these vehicles encountered after 20+ years of being on the road that were never, ever an issue when they were newer. And these were models last sold here in 1991! Volkswagen obsoleted everything on them for us long ago, despite continuing to build an updated version of them in South Africa until 2005.

Last edited by oilhammer; December 7th, 2017 at 06:19.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 13:45   #314
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
The ten year obligation is for Germany, AFAIK. Definitely not the US, the only obligation for parts availability here is for warranty or recall work, the manufacturer can even refuse to sell parts for a brand new car to an individual.
It used to be 20 years, obviously they must have changed it. Finding parts for my corrado became a nightmare after 2010. Even a simple G60 oil filter was unavaible OEM. You could get aftermarket parts just not original.Funny thing is that I could get original Hitachi bolt down coils for the 1.8t even though they had been superseded a million times
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 13:54   #315
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I still find NOS parts for my 1935 Ford.