01 Golf 2.0 Gas to ALH Conv./Accelerator Pedal

01GolfALH

TDI
01 Golf ALH
Just got my swap running, with many thanks to several members' posts here on TDICLUB. The one problem I'm having is that the engine is defaulted to 1200 RPM and VCDS shows code P1639: Accelerator Pedal Position-Signal Implausible. I went back and double-checked my wiring against the diagram and the measured values show that the pedal input is smooth and consistent from 5.9% at idle to 100% at WOT, still no function though. The pedal assembly is from an automatic car, part #6Q1 723 503E, and my swap is a 5sp. Will I have to have a pedal assembly from a manual car for it to function, or can I adapt the automatic pedal with VCDS? I noticed that the auto pedal assembly has the additional kick-down switch where the manual ones don't, but both are 6-pin and the kick-down doesn't affect the measured value readout. Any help is appreciated, I'm so close!!

01GolfALH

TDI
01 Golf ALH
QuickTD, thanks for the input. The pedal assembly I have did not come with my manual trans. equipped swap. I bought it separate and it was from an automatic equipped TDI. Does anyone else know if I can still use the automatic pedal with a wiring change, or will I have to have a manual pedal?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Automatic or manual pedal will work equally as well. Just make sure it says DIESEL on the label rather than OTTO.

01GolfALH

TDI
01 Golf ALH
QuickTD, upon further inspection, you are correct about the kickdown "button". It is only merely a spring-loaded button, with no wiring involved. I assume that the 90% or so throttle position at which it engages gives the driver of an automatic transmission a reference point to gauge the sometimes intended downshift while accelerating. Thank you for your help!

Hasenwerk, thanks for the input. I went ahead and purchased an APP sensor, part #6Q1 721 503 B that has a gray label, stating "Diesel" on the part #sticker. From my research, I've noticed that there are differences between gas and diesel part #'s, as well as automatic to manual. As far as I can tell, the gas to diesel difference is most important, with transmission being secondary. The part # sticker on the automatic pedal assembly I started with was not gray with "diesel" printed on it, as the appropriate ones I've found elsewhere. It looks like I will soon have an "OTTO" automatic APP assembly for sale soon! I will update after I receive and install the new assembly, I hope my struggles will help other swap-junkies :)

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Automatic vs manual, electrically the same and interchangeable. Otto vs diesel, electrically different and not interchangeable

01GolfALH

TDI
01 Golf ALH
I got the correct "Diesel" pedal assembly and installed it. It works correctly and I actually got to drive the car tonight for the first time. I now have a resurrected, clean MKIV Golf that started out as a tired, 200k mile gas engine and today has a healthy, 136k mile ALH. With fuel prices starting to creep back up, it might be just in time...

Many thanks to QuickTD and Hasenwerk for your insight. The lesson I learned is that automatic or manual pedal assembly doesn't matter, "Diesel" tags and part #s do. Avoid "OTTO" tagged pedals when shopping for a used accelerator pedal for your TDI swap!