difference between old 90HP engines and modern 130HP engines

iainmackay85

TDI
None
Hi i was wondering what differences there is between older 90hp tdi's and the modern 110-150hp tdi'sthank you

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Cylinder head, block, pistons, rods, crank, fuel injection system, electronics, turbo, manifolds, plus all the minor stuff that makes the big stuff work.

:D

And I'm serious. They are pretty much two entirely different engines that almost coincidentally share some key dimensions.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just noticed that the question in the thread title is different from the question in the post. The 110hp is similar to the 90hp with the only significant differences being injectors, oil cooler, ECU programming, and (in some cases) the turbocharger. But everything else uses the "pumpe-duse" injection system instead of the external rotary distributor pump that the 90's and 110's have ... and that changes EVERYthing.

iainmackay85

TDI
None
a 1.8 petrol engine by different manufacturers puts out always around 115hp and a old style 1.9tdi put out 90hp, regardless of who made it, roughly speaking, so what i was wanting to know is what, technologically, is different.

thanks though.