Glow plug

Grapeape

TDI
05 jetta tdi
A few weeks ago my 05 tdi jetta's check engine light came on. I scanned my car and it says glow plug cylinder 1 and 3 circuit/open. It was pretty cold here. Then it warmed up last week and the check engine went out. Last night it was freezing again and it came on again. I'm thinking of changing the glow plugs. My question is does this sound like a glow plug fault or something else.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You need to have it Scanned. Then, you'll no for sure. When the CEL goes out on it's on, the DTC is still there!......... or, it least that has been my experience!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Here is wingnuts glow plug sticky.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=79819

It may be a the glow plugs themselves or it might be the harness. I just chased down a glow plug is in my daughters new to her Jetta. Number one cylinder I had already replaced that glow plug so I was pretty sure it was the harness.

A small piece of aluminum foil balled up,and inserted into the harness connector seems to have done the trick.