Any issues with 2013 Jetta TDI?

jsmith15

TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm looking to purchase another Jetta TDI. I have an 06' TDI with 96k miles and found a 2013 with 28k miles. Any known issues with this year?

I'm not looking to sell my 06' it's actually my son's.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
you have a lot of reading to do on this forum, if your not worried about the kerosene coo, then understand this engine setup has many potential problems that can crop up at any time, and very costly to repair. But if you feel you must take the plunge the car has to be extremely cheap.

In my opinion stay away from it and any other VW TDI from 09 up

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks. That's the advise I wanted to hear.

What are the potential engine problems?
The most costly issue is if the high pressure fuel pump fails it takes out the whole fuel system with it. The typical bill to fix is about $6,000.

The good news is that a member here makes 2 kits to either mitigate the failure to the pump alone or completely replace the pump with a CP3 pump that is the most reliable hpfp on the market.

The other big failure is if the dpf fails it typically will set off a code that signals the egr has insufficient flow. This is about $2,000.

No way around that without going for a emissions "delete" and tune. (Check your local area's laws regarding diesel cars).

If the turbo fails it's about $1200 new. Add the dpf to that too since the turbo typically pukes oil into the dpf which clogs it with oil.

The serpentine belt can also fail if diesel fuel leaks on it. The failure can lead to lots of bits of the belt getting into the timing belt area of the engine. This has caused a few folks cars to skip timing and in turn lead to costly repairs to fix the piston to valve contact.

2micron made a cnc cover to prevent that later part from happening.

That's pretty much the nutshell of these cars. Bear in mind that the hpfp failures only affect ~5% of owners. The dpf failure seems to affect those that drive short distance most of the time or frequently shut the engine off in the middle of a DPF regeneration. The turbo failures are spotty (though more likely than the hpfp failures). Most that have them are way past 100k likely 200-300k. Some fail prior to that however.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
VW has been covering 99 % of the HPFP , mine was covered out of warranty which I think they have since extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles, I think I may have just had the DPF failure ( 127,000 miles 90 % highway) and just got a CEL w code P0401 which is the emissions failure, kinda of funny w everything VW is going to be fixing. My 11 has been pretty good to me but I have put money into it, repairs have cost me about $2,000 since I owned it new, but VW paid for the fuel pump, and not sure if I will keep it if the DPF is a goner, on the plus side 127,000 miles on the original brakes !

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I've seen a few folks been flatly denied for a failed hpfp if they go beyond 120k and it happens to them. Shoot a few have reported that if the fuel filter nozzle protector isn't installed vw will outright deny you.

Case in point...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457663

You'd have to fight tooth and nail to get it covered if you don't have the misfueling guard installed. So word from the wise, make sure the misfueling guard is installed.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
My 13 has right at 102K miles on it and lots of the pain points have been corrected on mine permanently. That being said, if the buy out is generous from dieselgate, I will most likely go to a TSI wagon next... Too many unknowns with the current CR engines...

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......my 2013 - with no real issues in 40,000 miles - is not accorded 120,000 protection that VW has provided for 09-12 model years (IIRC)

I too am looking hard at the 1.8 TSI wagon, which - if reasonably driven on the Interstate (specifically I-5 OR - WA) can calc impressive fuel numbers

Plus the cockpit layout really is not that different from my present TDI wagon.......(my learning curve has taken a few hits over the years)...............

ez

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
just to update my money in my car I checked last night not $2,000 but $3500 in repairs not maintenance items for my car and I know have a cracked DPF which I am hearing is around $2,000 to replace, at a indie. So if i do that I would have put $5500 in repairs in a car I bought brand new which I do not think is a good deal again this is repairs not maintenance items ( not sure if I can say the DPF is a repair but something that breaks in 125,000 miles that cost that much to me is a repair)

VW has been covering 99 % of the HPFP , mine was covered out of warranty which I think they have since extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles, I think I may have just had the DPF failure ( 127,000 miles 90 % highway) and just got a CEL w code P0401 which is the emissions failure, kinda of funny w everything VW is going to be fixing. My 11 has been pretty good to me but I have put money into it, repairs have cost me about $2,000 since I owned it new, but VW paid for the fuel pump, and not sure if I will keep it if the DPF is a goner, on the plus side 127,000 miles on the original brakes !

jsmith15

TDI
2006 Jetta
just to update my money in my car I checked last night not $2,000 but $3500 in repairs not maintenance items for my car and I know have a cracked DPF which I am hearing is around $2,000 to replace, at a indie. So if i do that I would have put $5500 in repairs in a car I bought brand new which I do not think is a good deal again this is repairs not maintenance items ( not sure if I can say the DPF is a repair but something that breaks in 125,000 miles that cost that much to me is a repair)
That doesn't sound like an economical car to drive. I hope my 06' gives me better service than that. No wander I'm seeing deals on 2010-2013 just a few thousand more than 06's.