Straight piped

73veedubya

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS 5 Speed
I've definitely noticed a difference in performance cutting the muffler off. very happy tdi + happy tdi owner in the way it sounds now

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
I like the turbo noise but ditching the catalyst and leaving the muffler intact seems like a better solution. More turbo noise, no drone.

8v-of-fury

With quality exhaust tubing, and making sure you completely have the exhaust tip out from under the car you shouldn't have drone.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
I've got drone on all of my cars with factory tubing and a section of straight pipe welded into key places; what would you do differently? I'd love a drone-free fleet that still makes the pleasant sounds.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
A simple straight through type of back box does the trick just fine for me, no drone and no restriction.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I've got drone on all of my cars with factory tubing and a section of straight pipe welded into key places; what would you do differently? I'd love a drone-free fleet that still makes the pleasant sounds.
Are you serious? My stock exhaust straight piped was as quiet as could be. Ill hit you up soon for a ride in your car, then we can ride in mine, and ill show you drone. And the 5" tip on my car exits past the car and still drones. No where near as loud as my 7.3 powerstroke was, but its way louder than the stock exhaust was.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I'm straight piped and no drone, my first tdi, 2009 straight piped no drone, both just smell now...:eek:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You can get these whistle things on ebay that go in your tail pipe and make cool turbo noises.

Lots easier and no drone.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I have some doubt that piping much bigger than 2.5" is going to make a measurable diff...:) my 6BT-5.9 does quite well with just a 4"-er. No muffling should be useful in getting the 'turbo sound'...I figure if I have to have a turbo, I do want to hear it work.
cheers,
Douglas

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
I have some doubt that piping much bigger than 2.5" is going to make a measurable diff...:) my 6BT-5.9 does quite well with just a 4"-er. No muffling should be useful in getting the 'turbo sound'...I figure if I have to have a turbo, I do want to hear it work.
cheers,
Douglas
I dont disagree with you. I bought mine for sound and free flowing exhaust. I care a lot about how my turbo diesels sound. Its like on a diesel pickup, theres no NEED to buy 5" exhaust, 4" is all you NEED, but 5" always sounds better imo. Much deeper tone and more whistle. I applied the same theory to my jetta.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I'm want to go straight pipe just for the sound! Plus I'm hoping I can make big black clouds! Nothing gets a tailgater off faster than a smelly nasty cloud of diesel smoke!

TdiNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf 4 door TDI 5-speed
I have wanted to do this but have alwasy been hesitant on the drone at higher speeds. If its different from stock, its a no. Anyone with input on this?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I dont disagree with you. I bought mine for sound and free flowing exhaust. I care a lot about how my turbo diesels sound. Its like on a diesel pickup, theres no NEED to buy 5" exhaust, 4" is all you NEED, but 5" always sounds better imo. Much deeper tone and more whistle. I applied the same theory to my jetta.
carry right on...:) couple ov my mates at work have GTDi cars, and there is no turbo noise, which I point out to 'em once in a while...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm pretty sure that sooner or later when your grow up you will realize how stupid you look.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm want to go straight pipe just for the sound! Plus I'm hoping I can make big black clouds! Nothing gets a tailgater off faster than a smelly nasty cloud of diesel smoke!
Wow. I'd take PROPER tuning thats virtually smokeless and run off from a "tailgater" than smoke them out. Excessive smoke = douche bag and wasted fuel

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure that sooner or later when your grow up you will realize how stupid you look.
Really? You have no clue what it looks like. I think it looks good, and sounds better. Maybe its just a texas thing, but down here, most people dont install exhaust on a diesel without a larger tip. It looks better, and changes the exhaust sound. And im plenty grown

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right!

and please... share a pic, I need a laugh.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I'm hoping I can make big black clouds! Nothing gets a tailgater off faster than a smelly nasty cloud of diesel smoke!
Um... that cloud of black smoke is unburnt fuel. As in fuel that you wasted and you are not getting any power from.
Rather than tossing unburnt fuel at tailgaters, why not just toss some money out the window. They may stop to pick it up. Same result.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Me and a friend recently straight piped an old merc diesel, what a racket! Man that thing was loud ha ha. We were just trying out as the back box was knackered and the owner was trying to save money, the back box alone costs £200 UK. We had to stick something on the end though as it was pretty ridiculous :D

Am I right in thinking a bigger diameter pipe helps egts?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
Me and a friend recently straight piped an old merc diesel, what a racket! Man that thing was loud ha ha. We were just trying out as the back box was knackered and the owner was trying to save money, the back box alone costs £200 UK. We had to stick something on the end though as it was pretty ridiculous :D

Am I right in thinking a bigger diameter pipe helps egts?
To an extent, yes, larger diameter exhaust lowerst egt's (not a lot, but it does, maybe 100-200 degrees), and helps the turbo spool up quicker. It does come to a point where its just sound preference. I cant honestly say on a tdi what that size is, but I know on turbo diesel pickups (cummins, powerstroke, duramax) going bigger than 4" is pretty much pointless other than for a better sound. And like previously stated before, I went from my stock exhaust that the previous owner straight piped to kermas 3" turbo back straight system, and noticed an honest to god spool up/power increase.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you on the stock turbo? I can't say I've noticed any spool up issues on the stock exhaust size even with the VA turbo. Not that I've got anything against a 3" one though ha ha

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you on the stock turbo? I can't say I've noticed any spool up issues on the stock exhaust size even with the VA turbo. Not that I've got anything against a 3" one though ha ha
Yes stock turbo. I didnt have any "issues" with how it spooled, but a straight piped turbo diesel will always spool quicker than one with a cat and or muffler