2011 JSW Glow Plug Flash Power Loss Check Engine Limp Home = ?

patdavid

TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Brand new 2011 JSW Manual purchased in mid December 2010.
Took the car down to south florida (from Mobile, AL) for a family visit. While down there, I was accelerating to merge with interstate traffic (nominal acceleration, no lead foot) and the car power suddenly judders/drops off, I get a beep and the glow plug light starts flashing. I think the MFD showed a message to service the engine soon (or something to that effect).
I believe this is the "limp home" mode.
I brought it to the local VW dealer (gunther) to have them check it out. They said the fuel filter was gunked up, and there was a sensor that had to be replaced. They did both things and the car was fine after that.
Then about a month or so after that visit, the car did it again. Same symptoms as last time (beep - flashing glow plug indicator - power loss/limp home). I pulled over and shut the car off for a few minutes. When I restarted, there was no sign that anything was wrong with it. Didn't have any other problem with it for a while.
Until this past week, when it happend again. I pulled over and shut the car down for a few minutes, and upon restarting there was no problem again. Until this past friday (april 22, 2011) as I was heading out of town for another florida trip. Luckily this happened as soon as I was getting on the highway out of town. Tried to accelerate to merge with traffic, and AGAIN! I'm at about 4600 miles only so far! :(
I know there have been other threads on similar problems, but I can't seem to glean a definitive answer to what might be the cause.
In summary, the car will beep, glow plug indicator will start flashing, power loss as the car goes into "limp home" mode (no turbo?), a "service engine" MFD message and with this last time, the check engine light comes on also.

Please, don't freak me out with HPFP talk, some of those threads frighten me :). I have also seen the EGR valve mentioned. What should I say to the service department tomorrow to help me get to a resolution?

What is the final estimate on what might be the root cause of these symptoms?
TIA guys - I'm a little disheartened by this first foray into VW TDI world, but am optimistic and hopeful that it is a simple thing/isolated incident!

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Without plugging the car into a VCDS and reading the codes that are stored in it there is no way of telling what the exact problem is.

Scan it and post the codes and someone will be glad take a stab at it.

Bill

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
You have a new car that's not working correctly. It's under warranty. Take it in to the dealership, tell them exactly what you said in the above post, and make them fix it. It should be running perfectly and give you no worries. Accept nothing less.

Last edited:

patdavid

TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Just an update.

In accordance with Murphy's Law, it appears that the High Pressure Fuel Pump is bad...
All the parts are on order and it will be a week at least until the repairs are finished. Fuel is also being sent out to Audi for testing (I can only assume to determine if the fuel was bad, and as a means for shifting the repair bill to me). I've only bought fuel from reputable stations (Chevron/Texaco in my area), so I am hoping that is not the cause of the problem.

So far it appears that the repairs are being conducted as part of the warranty, so keep your fingers crossed.

This has been a thoroughly disheartening first foray into VW products I must say! :(

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Sorry to hear about your car. You should post your HPFP failure here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3348571#post3348571 Also report this to the NHTSA (instructions on how to do this are on this site).
I think you are the first failure with an '11. Let's hope with a new pump you enjoy many miles of driving your TDI like I have (and let's hope your dealer does the right thing and does not try to stick you with the cost of repair).

Last edited:

patdavid

TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Sorry to hear about your car. You should post your HPFP failure here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3348571#post3348571 Also report this to the NHTSA (instructions on how to do this are on this site).
I think you are the first failure with an '11. Let's hope with a new pump you enjoy many miles of driving your TDI like I have (and let's hope your dealer does the right thing and does not try to stick you with the cost of repair).
Thanks jbright! I've posted my info in that thread. Let's hope this does get resolved nicely...

CryoTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 tdi sportwagen
what was the manufacture date on your car? So much for hoping this crap was solved on the 2011.

patdavid

TDI
2011 JSW 6M
what was the manufacture date on your car? So much for hoping this crap was solved on the 2011.
I don't know the manufacture date offhand, as the car is with the dealer right now. I will report back here after they get the parts and do the repair with the manufacture date (and add it to the thread on HPFP problems) as well as whatever I can find out from the service guys.

Anyone know offhand what would be an acceptable level of repair/replacement to be reasonably sure that the HPFP failure doesn't cause further problems downstream? I would imagine the rail and injectors have to be replaced, but I'm not well versed in this engine...

CryoTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 tdi sportwagen
is your shifter the t handle type or the new pistol grip style like in the GTI? If its a pistol grip type its newer. if its the t-handle then its an early 2011 and same as the 2010.