MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

wouldbecaller

TDI
2010 TDI SW
Time for VW to deliver on its promises

Solutions that require using your phone are helpful but VW provided sales brochures and manuals that promised we wouldn't need to do that -- that we would have hands-free calling. It's remarkable that VW has the gall to deliberately deliver cars without a feature promised in writing. The solution is for everyone who bought a Jetta that's supposed to have hands-free calling to demand that VW provide it. It's just a matter of keeping VW honest. So far only folks with customer-oriented dealers are getting results, but if everyone demands what they were promised, VW will have to step up. What a shame that VW's corporate instinct is to try to weasel out of its promises.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Wow, this thread is still going?!

VW has disclaimers on all of their printed materials that stating something to the effect that changes are made regularly and the printed information may or may not be accurate. It stinks that JSW and Golf owners are getting "short-changed" on the BT module, but at this point, I think it's nothing but good will for VW to replace the modules with the upgraded ones and realistically, they are under no obligation to do so and I wouldn't expect them to either.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If hands free dialing really was that big of an issue you should have gotten sedan, or upgraded your system, end of problem!

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
740GLE said:
If hands free dialing really was that big of an issue you should have gotten sedan, or upgraded your system, end of problem!
Or, I suppose...
If yer really THAT unhappy w/ yer Tdi, I'll take it off yer hands fer $100USD :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i'd double that offer!!!!

wouldbecaller

TDI
2010 TDI SW
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Wow, this thread is still going?!

VW has disclaimers on all of their printed materials that stating something to the effect that changes are made regularly and the printed information may or may not be accurate. It stinks that JSW and Golf owners are getting "short-changed" on the BT module, but at this point, I think it's nothing but good will for VW to replace the modules with the upgraded ones and realistically, they are under no obligation to do so and I wouldn't expect them to either.
Two comments - first, VW won't be in business for long if it delivers cars without features that its brochures say are standard, thinking it can hide behind a disclaimer somewhere in the fine print. The brochure, owner's manual, and (until recently) the VW website all said that hands-free calling is standard on the JSW TDI. It's isn't asking for an upgrade or a favor to expect VW to deliver that feature. I have an epic daily commute and I would not have bought a Jetta - a cute but average little car, let's face it - if I had known VW planned to welsh on the hands-free calling feature. Second, I don't agree that VW is under no obligation to deliver standard features. Apart from the ethics of it, consumer protection laws don't allow fine print somewhere to excuse misrepresentations. For example, if the brochures say that stability control is standard, the law certainly won't let VW deliver cars without it, no matter what the brochure's fine print might say. If hands-free calling is important, and many of us think it is, VW has to honor its sales materials.

unsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
wouldbecaller said:
Two comments - first, VW won't be in business for long if it delivers cars without features that its brochures say are standard, thinking it can hide behind a disclaimer somewhere in the fine print. The brochure, owner's manual, and (until recently) the VW website all said that hands-free calling is standard on the JSW TDI. It's isn't asking for an upgrade or a favor to expect VW to deliver that feature. I have an epic daily commute and I would not have bought a Jetta - a cute but average little car, let's face it - if I had known VW planned to welsh on the hands-free calling feature. Second, I don't agree that VW is under no obligation to deliver standard features. Apart from the ethics of it, consumer protection laws don't allow fine print somewhere to excuse misrepresentations. For example, if the brochures say that stability control is standard, the law certainly won't let VW deliver cars without it, no matter what the brochure's fine print might say. If hands-free calling is important, and many of us think it is, VW has to honor its sales materials.
Cute, but average. It certainly gets average fuel mileage doesn't it?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
wouldbecaller said:
And if you think that something like this - intentional misrepresentation that you and others are alleging - is unique to VW, I would suggest you stay away from all new cars. Many, if not all, manufacturers hide behind disclaimers that alleviate them from being held accountable to printed materials that they publish/authorize. This allows for production changes, which happen quite frequently. Otherwise, there would be lawsuits all over the place. My apologies in advance to anyone that feels that VW ripped them off with this, but I find it comical that some people are so outraged by it. Heck, I'm sure a good lawyer could spin this in favor of VW and say that they do in fact provide hands-free calling because you can talk on the phone without actually touching the phone. Do the brochures and other printed materials say anything about hands-free dialing? Not that I've seen. My car didn't come with Bluetooth at all. I installed the 9W3 module and couldn't be happier. Peace.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I don't have a BlueTooth phone yet, but I'm thinking about getting one. Before I do, how can I find out if my 2010 Golf TDI (of which I received delivery last week, so it's a recent build) has the 9W3 module? Is it possible that recently-built Golfs destined for the US come with this module from the factory?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wouldbecaller said:
If this was such a big deal for you, why didn't you ask the dealer and snyc your phone with the car before signing your name?

BTW ranting on here won't change your car, go give your song and dance show to the dealer to have them change your module, a few have whined and cried and the dealer was kind enough to swap out the parts.

wouldbecaller

TDI
2010 TDI SW
Agreed that ranting here won't help - my post was responding to those (VW employees?) who claim that fine print somewhere is enough to let VW break its promises. Our legal system isn't that dumb - VW can't take away something that matters to the buying decision. Those who don't think hands-free calling really matters don't need to post in this thread, and those who do can continue to share advice about how to get VW to do the right thing.

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
Me too...

I just got off the phone with my sales person. He confirms that the dealer's service manager has confirmed with VW that the Bluetooth in the car cannot initiate outbound calls - they have to be dialed on the phone. Apparently this is the case for all phones - not just my iPhone and my partner's Motorola flipphone.

The literature in the car is very misleading in this respect, as it states that the vehicle is equipped with the "Enhanced Bluetooth" capability, and makes reference to capabilities that the car clearly doesn't have.

We bought the Highline model, and were told that only the DSG and Blootooth were available options, as the car is fully loaded. Things such as auto headlights, auto dimming rear view mirrors, 115v sockets, etc. are outlined in the owner's manual, but not to be found on our car... :mad:

In general, while I'm very pleased with the new car, I find VW's practice of detailing features and options that aren't even available in this territory to be misleading, to put it mildly. It sure takes the shine off what is otherwise a terrific vehicle.

/end rant

BumbleBeeTJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
complained to VWoA but got the big NEGATIVE on replacing the unit...

i'm gonna be persistant and keep bugging them till i get the 9w3 unit

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
good luck, some have done it, some haven't

cimarron13

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
BumbleBeeTJ said:
I also complained to VWoA. Dealership still hasn't called me as requested on purchase survey. I don't blame the dealership as they seemed duped just as I was. When I brought the car back to get the problem solved it took them 2 hours of trying to fix it before they realized it wasn't fixable. But in the end they wouldn't replace it with the 9w3 unit.
Since I made an official complaint at least I am in the books if something eventually comes into play. Not holding my breath though. For everyone that has posted a complaint on this board I hope VWoA and dealership got the call first. If not it is only an airing of grievances.

archetypaul

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Can someone help clarify my BT predicament a bit? I've read through this thread but need some help wrapping my head around it all. I have the following:
2010 Golf TDI
Navigation Unit
$199 BT upgrade (on the sticker)

When looking at the car i was told by the salesman that it would do voice dialing and the MFD (didn't mention the nav screen) would dispaly my contacts. I was told it had "upgraded" BT and thus had the steering wheel controls for it (so the buttons on the roof seem kinda pointless, i've never touched them in the 2 months i've had the car).

However, The voice activation button only mutes the music, the "Phone" key on the nav unit does the same thing. No phone options appear in the Nav or the MFD.

Am i able to recode and get this fixed? Or do i only have the 9w2 and therefore not the upgraded system or the voice dialing/mfd experience i was told by the salesperson i would enjoy?

rabinabo

TDI
2010 4 door Golf TDI manual
Sorry, as far as I know, the 2010 Golf TDIs all came with 9W2, and the dealer is unlikely to have just upgraded it themselves.

9W2 = streaming audio, hands-free call receiving, no hands-free dialing
9W3 = no streaming audio, hands-free dialing and call receiving

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
rabinabo said:
Sorry, as far as I know, the 2010 Golf TDIs all came with 9W2, and the dealer is unlikely to have just upgraded it themselves.

9W2 = streaming audio, hands-free call receiving, no hands-free dialing
9W3 = no streaming audio, hands-free dialing and call receiving
Sorry for the stupid question: Can someone describe what "streaming audio" is? My guess is that if I have a smartphone and have something like the Pandora app running, I can play that audio wirelessly through the car's stereo system.

Is that right?

rabinabo

TDI
sgoldste01 said:
Sorry for the stupid question: Can someone describe what "streaming audio" is? My guess is that if I have a smartphone and have something like the Pandora app running, I can play that audio wirelessly through the car's stereo system.
Is that right?
Yes I can describe it, and yes you are right. It's just being able to play any audio from a bluetooth device through the speakers wirelessly.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
sgoldste01 said:

Is that right?
Yes, streaming is the ability to send audio via BT, but having it in your Veedub does not necessarily mean Pandora running on your phone will stream. That is up to the phone maker and Pandora code. You'll have to test it.

Put another way, not all software on the phone is "connected" to the BT stream. If the phone has a built-in music player, that is much more likely to be able to stream, for example.

This is the trouble with BT; as a "standard" it really ain't.

-dan

BumbleBeeTJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
BumbleBeeTJ said:

someone else has responded and said it would be forwarded to a supervisor who can assist me. will keep you posted.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Silver02TDI said:
And I'm sorry for asking this, but I really am confused. I also have zero BT experience...

So the 2010 Golf Wagons in Canada (JSW in the US) supposedly have BT as a $395 add-on in the Highline version. But, according to my dealer, this add-on is the 9W2. Can this one be reprogrammed to do what boerssd's does above? Or was my dealer wrong and it would come with 9W3? Should I bother ordering the BT add on, and then upgrading to the 9W3 or whatever other one supposedly lets you dial from the touch screen and see incoming calls? Or should I not bother paying the extra $395 for BT, and can then just buy one aftermarket and still easily get it working in the car? I'm so confused...
I am very new to BT too.....Picked up my 2010 VW Golf TDI Highline wagen last night and have yet to do anything but looking at the Invoice it appears as though I got the 9W2. Nav systems aren't available in Canada so I have the RCD-510 and am wondering too if I need to beg the dealer for a swap out....

MKV TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta
can someone help me out.

i have done the following and my part number matches. The initial coding however wasnt the same as it is below. I changed it to read 0000477 and the only difference is that the BT now says Skoda and not VW. I do not have the phone menu in my MFD. Any ideas on other codes or anything?

TIA

The coding in the 2010 1Z0 035 729 C module from the factory should be: 0011070

Many users have had success in enabling the phone menu in the MFD by changing the coding to read: 0000477.

rabinabo

TDI
The directions I had for my 9W3 install said to use 0013077, and that seemed to work. The '1' is for white dot matrix MFDs, and the '3' is for the multifunction steering wheel. The directions said that 0014077 only changed the title screen from VW to Skoda during pairing.

MKV TDI said:
can someone help me out.

i have done the following and my part number matches. The initial coding however wasnt the same as it is below. I changed it to read 0000477 and the only difference is that the BT now says Skoda and not VW. I do not have the phone menu in my MFD. Any ideas on other codes or anything?

TIA

The coding in the 2010 1Z0 035 729 C module from the factory should be: 0011070

Many users have had success in enabling the phone menu in the MFD by changing the coding to read: 0000477.

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
This new radio module VW is kicking out seems like a sweet thing to fix all of our expectations from the BT system.

Anyone have any guesses as to pricing?

MKV TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta
OK so I was driving to meet up with a buddy with a VCDS and as I was driving I noticed that the phone menu was in my MFD but it said "not paired phone found" so I connected through my phone and the MFD said "initializing" then the menu disappeared. This was using the coding 0000477.

I tried many of the other coding that are mentioned in here, all with no success. We also had issues that someone else had where the software would frequently crash when trying to go into 77 - telephone in the VCDS. Does anyone have any ideas?

MKV TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta
so, as an update.....I went to my car this morning and noticed that the phone menu was in my MFD before I left. So while I was parked I paired my phone and it started to load. It was loading my contacts and missed calls etc, then it just disappeared and my phone wouldnt connect to the bluetooth the rest of the trip. Could it be a hardware problem? I am getting a new phone in the next couple days so I will start there, but I wonder if there is something wrong with the bluetooth module in the car. It makes no sense why it will be there sometimes but not other times....