www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 16th, 2006, 09:41   #1
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Question Should I upgrade my radio?

Ok.. so as the topic suggests, I'm mulling over whether to make some changes to my stereo system.. so I'm hoping to pick some of your brains for opinions.

Current set-up:
Stock 2004 Monsoon double-din cd player w/stock monsoon amp.
Phatbox (20gb; connected through the cd changer port)
(I also have a sirius tuner which is set up to use the crappy FM modulator).

Here's where the decision gets slightly complicated (to me anyway..). In the Dakota I had before I bought my Golf in 04, I had a relatively sweet system in it - which I have all the components (in great condition) from..

Alternate set-up:
Eclipse 55040
2 sets of Boston 6.5 pro components (total of 4 6.5" 2-way speakers and 4 tweeters with external crossovers)
JL Audio 300W 4/2/1 amp
Eclipse 6-disc cd changer (compatible to the 55040)

Pros I see to switching the systems out :
(1) Duh, look at the components.. lol
(2) Would go from a double-din unit to a single-din unit, allowing me to install a triple gauge panel and get rid of the a-pillar pod and the dual gauge pod I currently have on the steering column.

Cons I see to switching the systems out :
(1) I'd lose the Phatbox capability (big), unless there is a way to somehow reflash the phatbox to work with a 4-5 year old Eclipse head unit (extremely doubtful).
(2) the amp is at least twice as big as the current monsoon unit, which means I may lose a crapload of space in the hatch unless someone knows of a way to get *really* creative with an amp install.
(3) Not sure I want to rip out every wire in the car myself, and Tweeter wants about $500 ( ) to re-install everything.
(4) No more OEM radio - I have an FIS cluster coming and it might have been cool to set up the cluster to show radio info. Not a huge deal, I suppose, since I don't have the cluster in yet and therefore am not used to having it there anyway.

Neutral items:
(1) Sirius would still have to use the crappy FM modulator, since I don't think the Eclipse has an aux input to directly wire into. (That being said, the amp might, but I'd have to dig it out of the box and check on that, and then I would have to try to rig something up so that I could switch the amp inputs from the driver's seat)

What I'm trying to decide is if it's worth the expense (or hours of work if I do it myself) to switch everything out and try to sell the stock monsoon, or if I should say F it and just sell the components I have and consider upgrading with newer stuff... The Monsoon isn't a bad unit at all, *especially* for a stock radio..

ARRGH.

Thoughts / Opinions / Stuff that I'm being oblivious about?

Even some comments on what some of your setups are might give me some more ideas about my own..

thanks
-mike
VNT-17/22 | PD150 injectors & intake | R32 snorkel | Eurojet FMIC | GHL DP | Hi-flow cat w/ 2.5" exhaust | RC4 | DG Sigma SS & Panzer plate | Rieger shift knob | OEM dash kit | RSSR tails w/rear fog & euroswitch | W8 overhead | OEM leather Recaros | OEM HID's w/rheostat | FIS cluster | DVD player w/navi | R32 steering wheel & pedals | DRW 6-speed | SPEC 2+ clutch (DMF) | Shine RSB | Koni FSD's | Climatronic(!) | 35% tint

Last edited by BlueCTTDi; March 16th, 2006 at 09:44.
BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:16   #2
tongsli
Veteran Member

Get the VW Navi and be able to keep your phatbox, volume controls and display in the cluster.

then, get this to display vehicle diagnosits http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1256258&postcount=1
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:54   #3
meganuke
TDIClub Contributor
Vendor

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think if you buy any Kenwood head unit that is CD-changer compatible, you won't lose the Phatbox capability. It might be worth selling the Eclipse and picking up a good Kenwood.
meganuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:10   #4
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongsli
Get the VW Navi and be able to keep your phatbox, volume controls and display in the cluster.

then, get this to display vehicle diagnosits http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...58&postcount=1
LOL.. you already know I'm itching to do that too.. throw yet another wrench into the mix..

Although.. I could sell the eclipse and put the $$ towards the navi, and still swap out the speakers.. hmm..

Can the navi unit hook up to a 3rd party amp? (and for that matter, how's the sound quality with the navi head unit?)

nuke.. that's a good point too.. I do recall seeing something on the phatnoise website about that. If I went that route, I could also get a head unit with Sirius built-in...
VNT-17/22 | PD150 injectors & intake | R32 snorkel | Eurojet FMIC | GHL DP | Hi-flow cat w/ 2.5" exhaust | RC4 | DG Sigma SS & Panzer plate | Rieger shift knob | OEM dash kit | RSSR tails w/rear fog & euroswitch | W8 overhead | OEM leather Recaros | OEM HID's w/rheostat | FIS cluster | DVD player w/navi | R32 steering wheel & pedals | DRW 6-speed | SPEC 2+ clutch (DMF) | Shine RSB | Koni FSD's | Climatronic(!) | 35% tint
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:21   #5
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCTTDi
LOL.. you already know I'm itching to do that too.. throw yet another wrench into the mix..

Although.. I could sell the eclipse and put the $$ towards the navi, and still swap out the speakers.. hmm..

Can the navi unit hook up to a 3rd party amp? (and for that matter, how's the sound quality with the navi head unit?)

nuke.. that's a good point too.. I do recall seeing something on the phatnoise website about that. If I went that route, I could also get a head unit with Sirius built-in...
Yes it can. There are pre-amp outputs. It is already amplified(Navi) for 40W per channel IIRC.

http://www.continentalimports.com/f00e500014.html

L
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater

Last edited by tongsli; March 16th, 2006 at 11:35.
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:25   #6
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongsli
Yes it can. There are pre-amp outputs. It is already amplified(Navi) for 40W per channel IIRC.

L
ooo.. good to know.. then I could still keep the Bostons and the good amp along with the Phatbox, and could put a good dent in the navi with what i could get for the stock monsoon w/speakers and my eclipse.
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:36   #7
tongsli
Veteran Member

http://www.continentalimports.com/f00e500014.html

It's $20 plus shipping for the adapter. It has the remote turn-on lead in this harness
Old March 16th, 2006, 13:10   #8
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

good stuff
Old March 17th, 2006, 14:53   #9
squebel
Veteran Member

I guess it all comes down to the level of quality you want to listen to your music at. For me, it was much higher than what the stock system (or any stock system for that matter) can offer.

I was not impressed by the Monsoon head unit at all, but then again I'm kind of snooty when it comes to audio stuff. For me, the work to get aftermarket stuff into the car was well worth it. I truly enjoy my stereo now.

And ya, a decent sized amp + capacitor will take away quite a bit of hatch space unless you're savy enough or have the $$ to invest in building a custom floor to hide your stuff. There's always the option of using the spare tire well, but then you don't have a spare tire.
squebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 15:06   #10
corvair

I don't know about your current eclipse Head unit, but do you have the possibility of adding an eclipse DSP? I have an eclipse head unit which has the DSP. my DSP has 3 fiber inputs (one for the head unit, one for the CD changer and a spare) I also have the other inputs in the DSP i.e. my touch screen and sat radio input. probably no help, but thought I would throw it up there.
corvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 19:49   #11
mtltdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63.21/46.88/30.25

I love my system, false floor, sub in the middle of my spare so I won't get stranded, and two amps hidden. Only thing I hate is having to remove the face of my radio everywhere I go. I'd like to have a motorized brushed aluminum plate to come out from the upper cup holder area and cover the gauges and radio when I shut off the car.

The sound is much better than stock, but I miss the stealth of the stock HU.
Old March 17th, 2006, 21:27   #12
kwong7
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/42/45 MPG

I have a similar situation:

Currently
Stock 2001 Golf GLS with Monsoon and 6-disc changer

Potentially going in:
Eclipse 55060 (copper chasis)
Eclipse 2301 DSP
Eclipse 5060? CD changer
Eclipse 9902 GPS/Commander
Xtant ??? 4-channel amp

I haven't settled on speakers but I'll see if I can get a cheap set of Focal or Boston Acoustics. All of the above is second-hand (much much cheaper this way) and was going to go in 97 Maxima. I drive my TDI literally 10X as often and use it for road trips, so I think all the goodies are going in the Golf. I haven't decided if I want a sub in the spare or not. Space is very important to me and I have no idea where I can hide all of this stuff. I'll check out under the front seats or a false trunk floor if I have to.
kwong7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:45   #13
danix
Veteran Member

I agree with Lito, go Navi. It sounds great.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:21   #14
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

All a bunch of excellent info... thanks guys - I appreciate the suggestions, keep em coming!
Old March 19th, 2006, 20:30   #15
squebel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtltdi
I love my system, false floor, sub in the middle of my spare so I won't get stranded, and two amps hidden..
mtltdi: I (and maybe others) would be interested in seeing some pics or a quick little write up on how you did your false floor. It's definetly something I would like to do.

Kwong: Go with a set of Focals. I have a pair of the Polyglass 165v2 and they are excellent!!
squebel is offline   Reply With Quote