Winter care

Itsmillertime88

TDI
2015 Jetta
I figured someone on here had to know but what/if anything do the new (2014+) EA288 TDI engines need for winter care?

I've heard different things from different people, some say they need a fuel stabilizer, others say winter diesel fuel already has that in it. I'm originally from MI and know that the winters are harsh on diesel vehicles but I live in NC where, at best, the winters are mild. Is it simply just get in and drive no need to let it warm up or idle anymore (I understand the mechanics/reasoning behind it but still baffles me considering up north winters are harsh and I'd never think to just get in a car and drive it away) or am I best to let it idle or maybe something else I haven't thought of?

Other question I wanted to ask is, I imagine someone has put an engine block heater on theirs because they do indeed live up north or somewhere it is cold. Where did you get yours and who installed it? I imagine I am going to keep this car a long time and if it makes its way back up north I'd like to get one installed just so I don't have to fret as much about it not starting on the coldest day in the year but the dealer down here told me they have never seen/installed one so trying to determine best way to go about

Thanks

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I figured someone on here had to know but what/if anything do the new (2014+) EA288 TDI engines need for winter care?
I've heard different things from different people, some say they need a fuel stabilizer, others say winter diesel fuel already has that in it. I'm originally from MI and know that the winters are harsh on diesel vehicles but I live in NC where, at best, the winters are mild. Is it simply just get in and drive no need to let it warm up or idle anymore (I understand the mechanics/reasoning behind it but still baffles me considering up north winters are harsh and I'd never think to just get in a car and drive it away) or am I best to let it idle or maybe something else I haven't thought of?
Other question I wanted to ask is, I imagine someone has put an engine block heater on theirs because they do indeed live up north or somewhere it is cold. Where did you get yours and who installed it? I imagine I am going to keep this car a long time and if it makes its way back up north I'd like to get one installed just so I don't have to fret as much about it not starting on the coldest day in the year but the dealer down here told me they have never seen/installed one so trying to determine best way to go about
Thanks
As long as you don't have summer fuel in your tank, I think you'll be okay. I'm too lazy to search, but I believe stanadyne is the only additive VW will allow and you still retain your warranty. Be careful not to add anything that is incompatible with the DPF or the delicate high pressure fuel pump. To your other questions, I let mine warm up 30 or 40 seconds and then get on my way. Drive it easy until normal operating temperature. As far as block heaters, Canadian cars came with the heater but it was in line with one of the coolant lines, not in the block. If you're going to add one I would recommend researching that and adding a heater similar to the stock setup, not a traditional block heater. Check out the frost heater brand, people here really like them. That said, you may find it heats up faster and provides better heat than any diesel you've ever owned. You might not need a block heater.:)

The last thing I'll add, is that it was about 20F here today. The plugs glowed for 2 seconds and the engine immediately started without hesitation and idled smoothly.

Last edited:

Itsmillertime88

TDI
2015 Jetta
Ok that helps, do the aftermarket ones do a better job that if I got one from VW? Second question how did you or know to only let the glow plugs glowed for 2 secs? I maybe incorrect but I thought the best thing was to turn the ignition to ACC mode and let it sit for a couple seconds to let the glow plugs warm up and do their job but I might not be right and there maybe something else I'm supposed to do

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I have no experience with the factory heater, it was a Canadian model thing.

As far as the glow plugs, I turn the key when the glow plug light goes out.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
It's no big thing in Winter to drive, start ect... Just keep the Maintenance up, put good Winterdiesel in. Driving for 15 years here in Western Canada and never had a problem in Winter, even at 30 - 40 below. Fill-up when below Half and you should always be able to wait a storm out. Do what your Handbook from VW tells you.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We've had a couple cases of fuel gelling here in Massachusetts in the current cold weather (0F this morning). Makes me wonder if fuel is dosed properly at the terminal, which is a manual process in many terminals in the US. I always use a lubricity and anti-gel additive in my diesels, and continue to do so in my '15. Otherwise the car will be fine in the cold.

Itsmillertime88

TDI
2015 Jetta
Unfortunately when I bought mine it didn't have a manual but I bought one off of Ebay and read it several times. It was basically telling 2 different stories of don't let the car idle excessively because it wastes gas and cloggs the emission system and then it says after starting it drive it easily for the first few miles so thats why I was asking to see what others thought/opinions were

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Idling the car in general isn't a great idea, but I don't see how that will hurt the emissions system. Just make sure that you aren't idling in your driveway for 15 minutes for a 5 minute drive to work. I've found these new TDIs with DPFs are relatively trouble-free as long as there's some highway time in your commute. I've got a friend that lives in Roosevelt, UT where the winter temperatures are brutal and stay in the teens or below all season long. His 2015 Golf has had continuous issues with the DPF and DEF system because it's idled a lot in the morning to heat the car up for his toddlers. Then, just drives it across town. It never gets hot enough for long enough to complete a regeneration cycle.

That and the DEF tank heater has malfunctioned multiple times and the dosing injector is leaky despite being replaced.

Bottom line, very cold temperatures and short trips will destroy these cars. My commute is 20 miles one way and I haven't had a single issue with any of the emissions controls on my 2015 in 34,000 miles.