www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old November 15th, 2017, 14:42   #1
mikebike

Default VW contact for Letter of Conformity?

I've been able to find an ALH VW I'm very interested in - in Ontario.
I'm in Detroit, so that's not too far for me. I've looked at bringing over vehicles in the past, and actually gotten as far as getting the letter of conformity from those manufacturers (BMW, Subaru), without any problems.

VOA is different. Their policy appears to be to only write LOCs for VW cars when their owners move to the US. They aren't interested in doing anything more - got to protect the market for old VWs in the US, apparently. They have checked the VIN and tell me that this specific car is fine, but they aren't going to give me a letter and I should use a registered importer. I've looked into the RI route and it just isn't worth it.

Searching on here, I see some members in exactly the same situation have been able to get LOCs through the "right" contacts. If anyone knows who might be able to have a letter of conformity written, please pm me.

Thanks!
Michael
mikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 03:26   #2
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

You might try VW of Canada. Maybe it is the same entity now, but a while ago they separated. That company would be the one to issue a letter in any case, since it is a Canadian car. They might not care, but you could just let them know you want the letter and not mention your intent to export the car to the USofA. They'd probably assume that anyway, but no need to provide something that might not be in your favor.

Please report back and good luck,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:45   #3
mikebike

VW of Canada had absolutely, positively, no interest in providing a LOC when I said I was buying a car from the US. I didn't try asking again without saying why I wanted a LOC, but I'm sure what their first question would be if I did.

I did get a name of contact at VOA who had approved a LOC in 2015, from a member here. However, that contact was never available to explain if this was still possible, or why the policy on providing LOCs had changed since then.

In the meantime I found a car in the US. So, Volkswagen has managed to successfully protect the American market value of 14 year old Jettas. Wankers.

It is possible to get a LOC from VOA if they believe that the requester is moving from Canada to the US. YMMV.
mikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:36   #4
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Then the answer is to have the potential seller obtain the letter. If that person really wants to make the sale, then they should be interested in putting forth the effort.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 15:23   #5
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Had a US buyer for my 1995 TD Passat.
VW offered absolutely no assistance and at the time I even had a buddy who was a factory service rep for them in Michigan!