ABS/ESP failure!

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Mighty disappointed by this. Just got the diag from the dealer...internal electric failure of the hydraulic ABS pump. Repair is a whopping $2,800...$1,600 for just the pump! We have an 09 JSW with about 48k so it is out of the 3/36 warranty. As luck would have it, we just took possession of an 11 Golf TDI and we were waiting until it came in to buy extended warranties for both, given the high ticket price on some failure points. The ABS/ESP light came on a couple weeks ago so it isn't covered. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. My dealer is going to talk to VW about it on Monday but I'm not holding my breath for a good outcome. Pretty rediculous for this to fail at this stage...less than 2 years old and they have kicked in less than 5 times!

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Heard from VW...they are giving us a "final goodwill gesture" and only charging us $1,800 for a pump that shouldn't have failed in the first place! Their previous "goodwill gesture" was when they covered the replacement of the radio at 37K...just out of warranty...for an internal electrical failure. Again, something that should have never failed in the first place! I love the car but I have to admit, the random stuff that goes wrong with these things and the associated costs are too much to take. There is no way I am keeping this thing.

Owning a VW post warranty is not a good place to be these days. I'm a maintenance freak with my cars but there is absolutely nothing you can do as an owner to avoid these random internal electrical failures. Very frustrating to say the least.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Did you try and source parts/labor outside of the dealer network? BTW that's some good faith guestures on VW, kudos vw on trying to make it to 800,000.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
If you can find out from the dealer exactly what needs replaced,you might try car-parts.com and make a few phone calls to some salvage/junk yards to see if they might have the parts available. It would be worth a try if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.
I just got done replacing the hood,headlight assembly and the driver's side fender (deer damage) on my wife's 09 Sedan. eBay parts and salvage yard parts cost $780.00. Body shop was just under $2,000. Oh, and if anyone has to replace their hood. SAVE this decal that is on the right side of the hood....................it cost $50.00 to replace it.

Emission decal:

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
I'm very mechanically capable...it is the time I lack! It should be fixed today.

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
UPDATED OUTCOME! My dealer continued working with VW and amongst themselves...sales, mgmt and service. They have decided to cover this premature failure for us ENTIRELY! I can't begin to tell you all how happy I am with this outcome. It is further proof that if you work well with your dealership, it will pay off in the long run. They just cemented a customer for life!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Careful, there, almost newbie! Them's fightin' words in these here parts!

Glad to hear VW is covering this. Now, of course, we need to hear if the tech doing the repair/replacement knows what he's doing.

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
LOL! Newbie here but not on QW! I try to do the same thing with my Audi dealer...relationships matter. BTW,the tech already broke a sensor while putting it back together this morning! I'll gladly wait another day. I have to say, my dealer rocks! YRMV.