Bilstein TC Sport vs. Regular with Eibach Springs

CJK

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Blue
I just finished putting in the Eibach springs (lowers it 1.25") and Bilstein TC sports in the front and took it out for an extended drive (I didn't have time to put in the rear). The ride feels quite stiff, and I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and get the regular TC struts and shocks. Are they that much different? I've read that the sports are 20-30% more stiff, but will they break-in after awhile?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I wouldn't recommend it. The stiff ride is likely more of a product of the springs rather than the shocks. Having shocks with less damping against very stiff springs will not "soften" to ride appreciably and instead result in increased bounciness.

What size tires are you running, and what inflation pressures?

Get used it
I have Neuspeed springs and Bilstein HDs and wouldn't have it any softer.

Edit: The ride will also soften slightly after some miles.

CJK

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Blue
I'm running stock 16" wheel/tire combination. What should the tire pressure be?

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Re: Bilstein TC Sport vs. Regular with Eibach Spri

Around 35PSI - the diameter of the tire doesnt' matter as to the pressure you run.

You have the same surface area seeing as the car is still the same weight, that footprint is just wider and shorter now.

peter pyce

Veteran Member

....You have the same surface area seeing as the car is still the same weight, that footprint is just wider and shorter now.
Absolutely Great Point! 99% of the folks do think that going wider tires gives them more contact patch, but it is not the case! It changes just the shape of that patch, the square area remains the same (if everything else is the same). Great you pointed it out! I hope this will get more visible ....

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS

Allright Mr. Pyce aka suspension guru... What springs do you recommend using w/the TC Sports. Are Neuspeed Sofsports a good candidate? Sorry for the near hijack...

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Mr. FlyTDI - what a pleasure! Have not seen you around for very long time. You were one of the very few that would go out and test something and then will post graphs to show the data! Something that does not happen very much lately around here .... I always enjoyed your posts and I am sure some others miss you too.
Hope everything is well with you and that you will be here more often.

As Radman said, there is some info in that link he posted. We can of course talk here too, but then it will be an off-topic and that will not be nice. So, let's talk in the thread Radman posted. Would be nice if you can read some and see if what you read is of your liking, then maybe bump it up and we will talk. Later.