06 Jetta TDI with oil in the intake????

Ramp Rat

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM; Case 580SK Backhoe; '06 Dodge 5.9 24V Cunnins.
I’ve got a 2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9 BRM. I’m seeing a little oil build up inside the intake tube between the discharge of the intercooler and the flapper valve. I did a cranking compression test with all cylinders being between 25-1/2 to 27 Bars (370 to 390 psi). I’m wondering where the oil is coming from? I’m thinking it’s the turbocharger but why? Bad seal, oil return tube not draining right or can the EGR system causing this?
The engine has 192K miles, has a recent new camshaft, belt and water pump kit. 4K on a complete engine and transmission service including a new DMF. While idling the engine is very smooth. However, I can see a black oily mess building up inside the intake manifold.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Steve.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
How much oil? Some oil will always build up in the lower IC pipes. If it is like more than cup or something that is probably an issue. Most likely suspect is turbo shaft seal which means new turbo. Eventually if you get enough oil in the intake the engine can start running purely on engine oil and have a run away. Part of the job of the ASV is to make that not possible as long as you turn the key off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The crankcase breather normally exhausts into the air inlet before the turbo...then gets compressed along with the air intake charge, and goes through the entire charge air tract and into the engine.

This is normal. Draft tubes went away in 1972 (for Volkswagen).

If there is an unusual rapid oil consumption issue, as evidenced by monitoring the dipstick in repeatable controlled instances, then you may have some problem.

The BRMs' oil use can vary, I'd say on average they can be worse than the VE TDIs but nothing at all like most of the VAG gassers. A liter to as much as three liters in 10k miles is probably within the range of normalcy for them.

A vacuum system (starting at the vacuum pump) leak will cause more crankcase scavenging and thus higher oil consumption via the breather, since the vacuum pump exhausts into the engine.

Ramp Rat

TDI
The crankcase breather normally exhausts into the air inlet before the turbo...then gets compressed along with the air intake charge, and goes through the entire charge air tract and into the engine.

This is normal. Draft tubes went away in 1972 (for Volkswagen).

If there is an unusual rapid oil consumption issue, as evidenced by monitoring the dipstick in repeatable controlled instances, then you may have some problem.

The BRMs' oil use can vary, I'd say on average they can be worse than the VE TDIs but nothing at all like most of the VAG gassers. A liter to as much as three liters in 10k miles is probably within the range of normalcy for them.

A vacuum system (starting at the vacuum pump) leak will cause more crankcase scavenging and thus higher oil consumption via the breather, since the vacuum pump exhausts into the engine.

All good points to think about!
Because this is a new vehicle to me (got it last summer and have done major repairs including to the suspension). Did a full service about 5K miles ago. Kept a close eye on oil consumption and for the first 4K miles the oil level stayed at the top of the full mark. Now at 5K miles the oil lever is between the full and half-full mark. That’s why I checked the intake tube before the flapper valve. Today I took off the tube at the intake of the intercooler and found very little oil. I took the intake tubes apart that go between the air filter box and the turbo intake. I found a lot of oil in the tube where the vent tube from the valve cover connects. This leads me to think blow-by caused by excessive crankcase pressure. But, the compression test doesn’t really tell me that.

However, your comment about the vacuum pump leaking and causing high pressures does make sense. So, here are my questions:
1 How can I check if the vacuum pump is leaking into the crankcase?
2 Is there a seal to replace or is it because the pump has gone kaput and needs replacement?
3 I’m also guessing that because it is a Dual pump that the whole thing has to be changed?

Thank you for your help.
Steve.

Ramp Rat

TDI
OK, don’t know if this is the way to do it but I did a simple vacuum check. At the back of the vacuum pump is a T fitting. One hose goes to the Brake Booster and the other looks like it supplies the rest of the vacuum system.
I disconnected the small line from the T and connected a hand operated vacuum pump. I pulled 18 inmg against the pump and brake booster and it held. Then I connected the hand pump to the smaller hose and pulled 18 inmg and it also held. Of course, this was done without any power applied or the engine running.

Is there something else that could supply pressure to the crankcase?
Is there something that can go wrong with the inside of the valve cover. Are there secret chambers that no one is allowed to see without special clearance? :rolleyes:

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle, 2000 GTI ALH swap, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
Are there secret chambers that no one is allowed to see without special clearance?

There is a vacuum reservoir built into the back of valve cover on the BRM engine.

Ramp Rat

TDI
There is a vacuum reservoir built into the back of valve cover on the BRM engine.

OK, that makes sense. While I had the valve cover off I did a vacuum check of the small hose port out of the back of the cover. It held vacuum but until you said something I couldn’t figure what for. Thank you.
I also noticed what looked like a large chamber that might be an air/oil separator for the crankcase vent. There was a small metal plate that looked like a check valve device. I’m guessing it’s a pressure relief or a drain for the collected oil???
It wasn’t a tight fit and would move a little on the plastic stem it was attached to. Does this “valve” need to be a tight fit?
[FONT=&quot]Thanks, Steve[/FONT]