www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 5th, 2017, 15:21   #1
BroncoAZ

Default Adding second battery for fridge, wiring?

I will be adding a second battery to my Passat to run my ARB 37 QT fridge. Can anyone tell me if I can run 1/0 gauge power cable through the firewall and where it could go? I could go with 4 gauge power cable, but with the potential for full alternator power to charge the rear battery Iíd just assume go larger. I will be using a Blue Sea charge isolation relay and likely an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery. I was also considering running a smaller power sports AGM battery and mounting it somewhere further forward in the car but I need to calculate what the fridge will consume.

For those wondering why, I commute to Phoenix for a few days each week, the fridge allows me to bring all my food and save $$$. Iíve been running the 50 QT fridge in my Touareg for the past year, but the 50 would only fit on the back seat of my Passat so I ordered the 37 for the trunk.

My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13
BroncoAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 15:34   #2
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

The VR6 equipped NMS Passats have the battery located in the trunk. The battery tray is along the left side of the trunk behind a side panel. You should be able to look up the parts and see what is involved if you want to go that route.

Installing the trunk battery tray, battery, and side panel would be easy. Fishing cables back there and tying it into the front battery would take some doing.

I found a link over at Vortex that shows the battery location.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...tery-on-the-V6

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 15:37   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz View Post
The VR6 equipped NMS Passats have the battery located in the trunk. The battery tray is along the left side of the trunk behind a side panel. You should be able to look up the parts and see what is involved if you want to go that route.

Installing the trunk battery tray, battery, and side panel would be easy. Fishing cables back there and tying it into the front battery would take some doing.

This is the best option for adding a second battery, in my opinion. You can even add isolation relays from an RV (or a V10 Touareg if you want to use stock VW parts) so that the fridge can't kill your primary battery.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 17:04   #4
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Just for. What it's worth. Do you know how thick # 1 cables are. That's electric welding able size!
When I had a sailboat with 3 batteries, one for starting and two house batteries I had # 4 stranded cables connecting them all. For your purpose I would think # 8 at most or # 10 should suffice.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 21:19   #5
BroncoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz View Post

Awesome, thanks for the link. I was thinking of bolting an Optima battery specific tray there. Itís the only spot that wonít interfere with the trunk liner. I would prefer to have the battery on the passenger side to offset my weight on the drivers side, but it probably doesnít matter. Here is the tray I was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Billet...=A1TNMI4LHV0ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
This is the best option for adding a second battery, in my opinion. You can even add isolation relays from an RV (or a V10 Touareg if you want to use stock VW parts) so that the fridge can't kill your primary battery.
I have purchased a boat isolator relay to keep the main battery from getting discharged:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/761...12_24V_DC_120A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Just for. What it's worth. Do you know how thick # 1 cables are. That's electric welding able size!
When I had a sailboat with 3 batteries, one for starting and two house batteries I had # 4 stranded cables connecting them all. For your purpose I would think # 8 at most or # 10 should suffice.
I wired my truck with 1/0 cable for the rear winch, I agree it seems overkill for this application but it is whatís recommended according to Blue Sea for the charge amperage. I think 4 gauge is plenty for the realistic load in this setup, I wouldnít be comfortable with 8 gauge.

Old December 6th, 2017, 16:34   #6
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

1/0 would be overkill for a fridge. A winch draws some major amperage compared to a fridge. I would size the wiring based on the loads that you intend to pull. I think 4 gauge would be the way to go, but some wire size and load calculations would be a good idea.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:08   #7
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg S, 42 mpg W

Throwing out another option that may work for you: Yeti Cooler. Super insulated and portable may cost less although you'll need ice.

Good luck, John
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 16:32   #8
BroncoAZ

After already having the fridge on my Touareg for a year I don't think I could go back to ice and a cooler.

Old December 8th, 2017, 10:50   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

or move further north, for 4 months a year no fridge or ice cooler needed, constant temps bellow 30!
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:45   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
or move further north, for 4 months a year no fridge or ice cooler needed, constant temps bellow 30!
That's the reason I live in Mexico for all winter since 2002!
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote