www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 7th, 2017, 06:57   #1
HawkGuy

Fuel Economy: 38-40
Unhappy Front Bumper Damage

Hit a Pheasant this morning on my way to work and now I get to replace my front bumper. Anybody have recommendations for parts? TIA
HawkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:59   #2
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkGuy View Post
Hit a Pheasant this morning on my way to work and now I get to replace my front bumper. Anybody have recommendations for parts? TIA
I've had good luck with ebay prepainted bumpers. More than half the price of taking it to the bodyshop.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:31   #3
invader
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
I've had good luck with ebay prepainted bumpers. More than half the price of taking it to the bodyshop.
I just ordered one from these guys:

https://paintapart.com/search?q=tag:...agen+tag:Jetta

They do take quite a while to get the part to you. Like 5 weeks.
I ordered a fender from them. The paint match and finish is excellent. So was the fit, even though they are not actual OEM parts.
Of course my car is garaged so the old paint on the rest of the car is not really faded. If yours is faded, matching might be an issue.

I can let you know how the bumper looks when I get it. I don't expect it until some time in January though.
2006 Jetta TDI Black DSG Auto, KermaTDI Super19 Turbo-w-Kerma/Alligator tune, Boost Logic cold air intake and 3" exhaust, Deval body kit, Eurogear front grille, rear lip spoiler, Euro LED tail lights, Helix smoked angle eye projector head lights, fog lamp kit, Amsoil bypass filter kit, Newsouth gauges, smoked front side markers, Koni coilovers, BSH rear sway bar, ASA AR9 19x8.5 rims
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563402656rDTSjp

1997 Ford F250 Powerstroke diesel heavily modified
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 13:21   #4
narongc73
Veteran Member

5 weeks? Damn. Mine took a week.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 16:29   #5
kbaisley
Veteran Member

If you have OEM paint, look at the local boneyard for same or near the same year. I have had great luck matching paint on these cars with wrecking yard parts. The issue you will have is that most boneyards are a stroke for bumper covers. Add to that most crashes are front end damage. I have found decent deals on fleabay. You might get lucky.

You can get a new primed CAPA approved for around 120.00 or so and a non CAPA for around 80 or so. If you are going to squirt your own paint, materials would ball park around 100 or so. So you can weigh that against what they are charging for a painted part. I always get nervous on a new painted paint, if they dont blend the surrounding parts, you sometimes get a shade variation. That is due to your car, assuming its the original paint, has been in the weather for 11 years. If others have had luck with this supplier, that helps in your decision process.

How bad is your bumper? Being that these bumpers are PP, they are easy to plastic weld. You can fix fairly easy and just have a body shop or a dent guy do a spot blend.

Last edited by kbaisley; December 7th, 2017 at 18:12.
kbaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:56   #6
invader
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
5 weeks? Damn. Mine took a week.
Yea, its kind of a long lead time. I'm pretty sure they don't apply the paint to the parts until they receive an order. And they may not even stock the parts and have to order them.

Luckily for me, I am not in a big rush. At least the shipping is free.
2006 Jetta TDI Black DSG Auto, KermaTDI Super19 Turbo-w-Kerma/Alligator tune, Boost Logic cold air intake and 3" exhaust, Deval body kit, Eurogear front grille, rear lip spoiler, Euro LED tail lights, Helix smoked angle eye projector head lights, fog lamp kit, Amsoil bypass filter kit, Newsouth gauges, smoked front side markers, Koni coilovers, BSH rear sway bar, ASA AR9 19x8.5 rims
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563402656rDTSjp

1997 Ford F250 Powerstroke diesel heavily modified
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 10:28   #7
legendman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 with the A/C on!

You can get a painted bumper on epay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fits-20...1WAg7U&vxp=mtr

I got one for an Accord I had, color didn't match perfectly and the paint is applied really thin, but for the price it was better than what was on the car.