www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2017, 10:50   #1
robm2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Default Headlights

I hate headlight switches. I have been driving Subarus for 15 years, and the headlights and running lights on those all turn on with the engine. It is impossible to leave them on, unless you hit the "newbie" switch, which turns on the running lights. Once you know about it, it is great.

My 2003 Jetta has a light switch which turns on the running lights, and the headlights if the engine is running,. Kind of like the Subaru newbie switch, but you need it for the headlights too. Really dumb system, it has the worst aspects of both systems: No headlights unless the engine is running, and it is easy to leave the lights on and run the battery flat.

Which is what I did the other day. It is on the charger now. I hope the demobilizer and radio won't give me any grief.

Is there any way to rewire the lights so both the running lights and the headlights come on with the engine, and cannot be left on by accident? Can it be done by rewiring relays, or by playing with the configuration with VCDS?

If someone can tell me the relevant pages in the Bentley manual to see all the headlight wiring, I would be very grateful. I have a scanned PDF version of it, and it is not easy to get around.
robm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:47   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

1st world problems right?
key goes in, ignition wire to radio and other devices gets power. Add relay and connect it to your lights. add an extra ground to the body of your stereo if it makes some background noise after you do so. Common issue on most cars when adding things to the ignition wire, even a relay. You kinda just answered your own question. PDF's are searchable in acrobat, the only software you should be using for PDF in this application. very easy to search. THis is why a PDF is what it is and not a jpeg or bmp or whatever.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 06:50   #3
jokila
 
jokila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Fuel Economy: 52/45/40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm2 View Post
I hate headlight switches. I have been driving Subarus for 15 years, and the headlights and running lights on those all turn on with the engine. It is impossible to leave them on, unless you hit the "newbie" switch, which turns on the running lights. Once you know about it, it is great.

My 2003 Jetta has a light switch which turns on the running lights, and the headlights if the engine is running,. Kind of like the Subaru newbie switch, but you need it for the headlights too. Really dumb system, it has the worst aspects of both systems: No headlights unless the engine is running, and it is easy to leave the lights on and run the battery flat.

Which is what I did the other day. It is on the charger now. I hope the demobilizer and radio won't give me any grief.

Is there any way to rewire the lights so both the running lights and the headlights come on with the engine, and cannot be left on by accident? Can it be done by rewiring relays, or by playing with the configuration with VCDS?

If someone can tell me the relevant pages in the Bentley manual to see all the headlight wiring, I would be very grateful. I have a scanned PDF version of it, and it is not easy to get around.
My headlights are on if the headlight switch is in the ON position and the ignition is in the ON position, whether the engine is running or not. I also have the Euro light switch so maybe that is it, but if i recall correctly, that's the way the regular switch works too. In fact, the method to temporarily turn off the headlight DRLs (when the headlight switch is turned OFF, but the engine is running)is to pull up on the parking brake lever.

There is a warning sound that is made if you leave the headlight switch in any position other than OFF and the driver door is open, so I don't understand your analysis. Maybe your driver door latch module has a bad micro-switch not letting the car know the door is open. In that case, you would not get a sound.
__________________
Ventecomy | Heated seat lighted switch | W8 light |
Blue tint aspherical tinted mirrors | Turn signal convenience | Euro Light Switch | Rear Fog Light | DrawTite Hitch | HIDs | 520 injectors | Engine Cover mod light |
VCDS-HEX/CAN & VagTacho available Houston metro area.

Last edited by jokila; December 1st, 2017 at 06:53.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 19:09   #4
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member
 
Caddy 16v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hazelton, BC
Default

Sounds like someone put a euro switch in your car and or disabled the daytime running lights, the headlights should come on as soon as you turn the key, unless your e brake is on.
The headlight switch only has one position either on or off.

My car is currently patiently waiting at the airport in Terrace for me to return on the 12th, if you can wait that long I have a spare original headlight switch in the trunk you can have!?
__________________
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 19:23   #5
robm2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Default

Caddy: Thanks for the offer. However, it has a stock switch, 2 position NA spec, and the DRL's work normally. So do the headlights. Problem is I don't like "normal."

I want the headlights and running lights to turn off with the engine, even if the headlight switch is on.

As for this being a "first world problem:" Caddy and I live right on the ragged edge of the "first world". Cell service is poor, the weather is worse, the roads can be "interesting", and one might have to wait hours to get a jump start from a passing motorist, or get CAA out. The Subaru model of headlight operation makes way more sense, and I would like to make this happen on my Jetta.

And there is no warning chime to remind me the lights are on. I am not sure what happened to it.
robm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 20:00   #6
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member
 
Caddy 16v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hazelton, BC
Default

Ahhh OK makes sense now, our Outback does it too and it's quite an useful feature. Not sure if it's doable on the Jetta though.

As far as no warning chime, does your interior light come on when you open the driver's door? Or unlock the car, open the driver's door and wait for 30 sec, if it locks itself again you have a faulty door lock module / micro switch and hence no chime for leaving the headlights on.
__________________
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 20:19   #7
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member
 
Caddy 16v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hazelton, BC
Default

Actually a quick search came up with this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=414531

Should work on a Mk4 as well!
__________________
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 14:30   #8
robm2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Default

Caddy: Thanks very much for this. I can't help but think there is an easier way. There must already be relays on these lights. Getting the power to the running light relay from the same source as the headlight relay should do the job.

I guess I will have to sort through the scanned manual, and print off all the relevant pages, so I can see them all at once to figure out how this works. It may be as simple as a jumper on the switch connector.

Oh, and the interior light seems to work fine, although maybe not on all doors. Is this car supposed to auto lock? It doesn't, which is good.

Last edited by robm2; December 4th, 2017 at 14:33.
robm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 14:45   #9
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member
 
20IndigoBlue02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm2 View Post
I hate headlight switches. I have been driving Subarus for 15 years, and the headlights and running lights on those all turn on with the engine. It is impossible to leave them on, unless you hit the "newbie" switch, which turns on the running lights. Once you know about it, it is great.

My 2003 Jetta has a light switch which turns on the running lights, and the headlights if the engine is running,. Kind of like the Subaru newbie switch, but you need it for the headlights too. Really dumb system, it has the worst aspects of both systems: No headlights unless the engine is running, and it is easy to leave the lights on and run the battery flat.

Which is what I did the other day. It is on the charger now. I hope the demobilizer and radio won't give me any grief.

Is there any way to rewire the lights so both the running lights and the headlights come on with the engine, and cannot be left on by accident? Can it be done by rewiring relays, or by playing with the configuration with VCDS?

If someone can tell me the relevant pages in the Bentley manual to see all the headlight wiring, I would be very grateful. I have a scanned PDF version of it, and it is not easy to get around.
Like the MKIII's? It depends if there is a Swedish version of the switch that does this.

Don't you have DRLs?
__________________
2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 17:43   #10
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member
 
Caddy 16v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hazelton, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm2 View Post
Caddy: Thanks very much for this. I can't help but think there is an easier way. There must already be relays on these lights. Getting the power to the running light relay from the same source as the headlight relay should do the job.

I guess I will have to sort through the scanned manual, and print off all the relevant pages, so I can see them all at once to figure out how this works. It may be as simple as a jumper on the switch connector.

Oh, and the interior light seems to work fine, although maybe not on all doors. Is this car supposed to auto lock? It doesn't, which is good.
There might be an easier way or even with VCDS which I have but I'm not the best with wiring.
Yes it is suppose to auto lock at around 20km/h or if it doesn't detect that a door has been opened, could very well be programmed out as well.
__________________
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 18:36   #11
UhOh
Veteran Member
 
UhOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: PNW
Default

Your chime isn't sounding because your door lock control is likely faulty. Dash lights on. Chimes ringing. If I were to leave my lights on with all this going on I would feel that I should check myself in for early(?) stages of Alzheimer's.

According to this post:

For the record there is no relay for the headlights on any VW up to the mk5, all the power goes through the headlight switch.

If this is true then it would be a simple matter of moving the power wire off of the existing constant 12v terminal on the power bar to the switched-ignition post. But! I have no idea whether that switched-ignition terminal can support the added load from the headlights, in which case the safe way would be to use the switched-power to power a [new] relay's trigger input and pull the power off of the constant power post.
UhOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 14:12   #12
robm2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Default

Doors autolock at 20 km/h, except for the driver's door. I am not sure if this "feature" has been removed with VCDS or not. No chime. I will see if the chime can be triggered by a different door being open? That might tell me something, I don't know what.

UhOh, thanks for the link to that headlight thread. Lots of good info there. Quite a complex system, with 6 fuses protecting the head light and running light circuits. It is interesting that the low beams use bigger fuses than the high beams. Perhaps there is room there for the running lights. I will pull the switch out and see if I can get some decent current measurements.

Or bite the bullet and put in a relay.
robm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 16:04   #13
jokila
 
jokila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Fuel Economy: 52/45/40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm2 View Post
Doors autolock at 20 km/h, except for the driver's door. I am not sure if this "feature" has been removed with VCDS or not. No chime. I will see if the chime can be triggered by a different door being open? That might tell me something, I don't know what.

UhOh, thanks for the link to that headlight thread. Lots of good info there. Quite a complex system, with 6 fuses protecting the head light and running light circuits. It is interesting that the low beams use bigger fuses than the high beams. Perhaps there is room there for the running lights. I will pull the switch out and see if I can get some decent current measurements.

Or bite the bullet and put in a relay.
Your driver door lock module is faulty. The motor that moves the pin has gone bad in some way so it keeps the door from locking despite the system telling it to.

Replace it and it will also fix the other thing bad with it, not knowing if the door is open. Both issues are part of the door lock module.
__________________
Ventecomy | Heated seat lighted switch | W8 light |
Blue tint aspherical tinted mirrors | Turn signal convenience | Euro Light Switch | Rear Fog Light | DrawTite Hitch | HIDs | 520 injectors | Engine Cover mod light |
VCDS-HEX/CAN & VagTacho available Houston metro area.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 16:25   #14
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing
 
JDSwan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Michigan near Toledo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post
Your driver door lock module is faulty. The motor that moves the pin has gone bad in some way so it keeps the door from locking despite the system telling it to.

Replace it and it will also fix the other thing bad with it, not knowing if the door is open. Both issues are part of the door lock module.
Ding ding!!!!
__________________

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 17:13   #15
robm2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Default

But the "door ajar" indicator does work. And it locks if I use the key fob. They don't have 2 ways to lock this, do they? One "automatic" on vehicle speed, and another with the RF key fob?

It is the "headlights on" chime I am missing. The rest works just fine, and suits me OK, although I could do without any auto door locking.

And it turns out the fuses are downstream of the headlight switch, so it is likely there is lots of capacity in the circuit that feeds the headlights.
robm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff) freakwithracket Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale 942 December 5th, 2017 13:18
Black headlights or replace with stock chrome headlights and tail light film steinfire VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas 23 January 23rd, 2013 17:43
WTT: My Depo projector/halo headlights for your OEM black housing halogen headlights tightgtp Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 17 September 28th, 2012 06:34
WTB: FK/Depo Jetta IV headlights or Replica HID headlights freakwithracket Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 0 May 15th, 2012 07:32


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.13937 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 135.67 Kb. compressed to 114.03 Kb. by saving 21.64 Kb. (15.95%)]