question for members with auto transmissions

gleep

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I took a Passat out for a test drive and noticed a little bit of turbo lag when I accelerated from zero with the accelerator mashed to the floorboards. About the only time I would need to do this is merging onto a freeway. I looked in the Passat forum and saw that this had been an issue for some Passat owners.

My question is for New Beetle, Jetta and Golf owners with automatic transmissions--is there any noticeable turbo lag under heavy acceleration? I don't recall seeing anything in the forums about this.

Thanks.

gleep

gcsdls

Veteran Member
TDI
selling my 2001
Gleep,

I've had my auto tranny Jetta TDI for a month now...and I noticed that same thing the first time I drove it. I thought it would be very difficult to get used to. Well, (<font color="red">and I hope I don't reopen old wounds here</font>) I bought VAG-COM and adjusted the injection timing to 3 degrees BTDC, and now my engine is peppier and there's much less lag.

I have also found that it's better to apply "GO" pedal no more than about 75-80% for best results...it seems the transmission is more willing to upshift and use the torque of the motor if it's not put quickly to the floor.

just my .02

george

texsurfer

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS TDI, 2004, Reflex Silver
yes there is some lag but once you get used to learning to drive in the torque curve it will be easy to love. high revs aren't the best for passing or mergin in my opinion. i keep it in the powerband and continue to apply throttle to maximize boost and accelleration.

Xgaz

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Highline, 2004 Jetta TDI Sport
I bought VAG-COM and adjusted the injection timing to 3 degrees BTDC, and now my engine is peppier and there's much less lag.
Hey George...,

Any chance on writing out the steps taken to perform this?
I too have VAG-COM and am experiencing the same issues.

Thnaks.

gcsdls

Veteran Member
TDI
selling my 2001
XGaz,

I'll lead you to water...but you'll have to decide if it's water or poison!

Here's a LINK to the thread talking about the mod...including warnings. I have decided it's a good thing...but you must decide for yourself after reading. Don't mean to sound ominous, but many have reservations about this.... I don't happen to be one of them, but that's another story.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
There is some lag from a stand-still under WOT. Best to give it half throttle and roll on the throttle with the flow of power. On ramps, shift to 3rd.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
gleep, what the above posters mentioned is good advice on driving the Passat TDI. Bear in mind it is a rather portly car, but actually once underway is quite powerful. It will actually out accelerate my brother's AWD Audi A4, and that's a V6!

The 70% throttle is right on, the car actually will be slower if you floorboard the accelerator right away! Also, the fuzzy logic of the ECUs will adapt, and the car will actually run better as it is driven and broken in.

mgrusin

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 4-door Golf TDI (PD)
Don't worry about not being fast enough, I often have to brake slightly when merging into traffic.

There is indeed a lag, but you quickly adapt. This is the peppiest car I've ever owned.

-MG.

gleep

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Haven't been in the forum much, but here's a followup.

I picked up a 2005 Jetta TDI automatic from University VW in Seattle. This one is for my ex who lives in Calif. Turns out she didn't want a Passat--the Jetta is big enough, handles better and gets better fuel economy. There is still a little bit of turbo lag but not as noticeable as the Passat.

University VW is a really good dealer to do business with. I bought my 2002 Golf from them 3 years ago. They have a tremendous selection of vehicles and list every one of them on their website.

gleep

cage

Top Post Dawg
One other thing to realize. These cars have adaptive computers / transmissions. (now I don't have and auto, I'm just giving my .02) If you putt around at light throttle then floor it it will be lethargic. If you floor it a few times in a row you will notice the thing come to life and be much more eager to go. The 5 speed is the same way. If I am cruising along with everyone for period of time then go to pass I feel like I am waiting for power. If I drive aggressively and am on and off the throttle the thing takes right off when I need to pass. Try it!

fatmimi99

Veteran Member
TDI
02 NB Platinum Grey
If I remember correctly, I was told the auto transmissions have a "memory" of the driver. The tech told me he can get in and drive a car and tell you what kind of driver you are. Jackrabbit or granny! Somewhere in a past post are the instructions to "reset" the auto tranny.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Resetting instructions (also are in the owner's manual) -
Press accelerator to floor, turn ignition on for 10 seconds, turn off ignition. Release accelerator. Next time you start the car, the transmission will be back at factory default, and start "learning" your style all over again.

cage

Top Post Dawg
It also learns as it goes. If you start driving sporty it will adjust. The engine management system works the same way. It too starts resopnding quicker. You will actually feel the turbo boost whizz right in the second you push the throttle. If you then drive like a granny for a while it will calm back down.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
It also learns as it goes. If you start driving sporty it will adjust. The engine management system works the same way. It too starts resopnding quicker. You will actually feel the turbo boost whizz right in the second you push the throttle. If you then drive like a granny for a while it will calm back down.
I find that amazing, the design of that.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I did the KERMA Tranny mod. The post is found in Performance section. I found that the lag time is reduced, not gone but reduced. Hardly noticable on the highway when you need to make a quick pass. I haven't touched the timing adjustment with the VAG-Com yet. The only side effect with the tranny mod is that it makes your tranny feel like there is something wrong with it when it is cold. I mean really cold. After it warms up, it is fine. So on cold days, I just take it easy as I don't want to damage anything in my tranny until the fluid warm up.

ZapBuzz

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2002 teal
If I remember correctly, I was told the auto transmissions have a "memory" of the driver. The tech told me he can get in and drive a car and tell you what kind of driver you are. Jackrabbit or granny! Somewhere in a past post are the instructions to "reset" the auto tranny.
I recoded my tranny giving me more agressive shifitng (read here), I guess its a matter of style on what you like. Pesronaly I think even when you let the tranny 'learn' its still far to much on the granny side for my liking.