Noisey Serp belt

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
On YouTube there are videos about why among others 4 cylinder diesels need the decoupler for the alternator...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
Yeah I've decided Im just going to switch the alternator and be done with it! I watched a few videos on how to get that sucker out... doesn't look to bad.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not bad really...a lift certainly makes it easier but as long as you have the tools you need you'll be fine

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
For what it is worth, I've been running a 90amp Alt on my 2000 Jetta with manual tranny for 5 or 6 years ......... well over 100k miles. No problems at all! I got the Alt in a trade. It was in my parts stash. I needed an Alt, so, I installed it, and use the over-ride pulley! No worries!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
For what it is worth, I've been running a 90amp Alt on my 2000 Jetta with manual tranny for 5 or 6 years ......... well over 100k miles. No problems at all! I got the Alt in a trade. It was in my parts stash. I needed an Alt, so, I installed it, and use the over-ride pulley! No worries!
I'm not sure I have a 120...it came with a basket case beetle that I traded for the wheels and trans, the trade was a ragged out 2.slow with 99 problems...they had botched a tbelt job and wanted a running car...done deal

When my pulley died it was the easiest option to fix and didn't have to wait on a parts run

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If you like changing alternators then the Chineesium one is a good choice :) On an ALH getting it out is somewhat of a pain in the neck, so.....

I'd pull the one you have, see EXACTLY what is down in there (or use an inspection mirror) and if the nose is compatible with the proper pulley put that on and be done with it. If NOT then I'd find an ALH alternator from somewhere (NOT a chineesium "rebuild") with the proper pulley on it and install THAT.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I should be good with just getting a good ole napa alternator and probably should just go with the 120amp correct?
They're expensive but Bosch is a really good choice, some have had good luck with reliance too though

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
If you like changing alternators then the Chineesium one is a good choice :) On an ALH getting it out is somewhat of a pain in the neck, so.....

I'd pull the one you have, see EXACTLY what is down in there (or use an inspection mirror) and if the nose is compatible with the proper pulley put that on and be done with it. If NOT then I'd find an ALH alternator from somewhere (NOT a chineesium "rebuild") with the proper pulley on it and install THAT.

Haha thanks! I'm almost positive it is the wrong pulley when I feel down there its def a nut type holding on the pulley to the alternator and it looks like the pulley is a 7 groove not a 6. One of the grooves are showing, which I did think was kind of weird when I was putting on the new belt. I have a buddy who works at pepboys and has a bosch alt for decent price so I'm thinking of stuffing the correct alternator with the correct pulley and be done with it!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Just make sure that the Pep Boys alternator has the correct over run pulley.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Hope you get a good one. Just do the R&R as I outlined earlier so you have practice at how to do it without tearing the entire front clip off, which is what the Bentley says you need to do.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Hope you get a good one. Just do the R&R as I outlined earlier so you have practice at how to do it without tearing the entire front clip off, which is what the Bentley says you need to do.
It would be easier if you had a recovery machine and a lift...easier to get the alternator off...less prying and tapping in and out of place but I've taken the core support off at the salvage yard but I didn't care if the system was charged or coolant...

The Genesis way is how I R&R'd mine and it wasn't too bad...

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Hint on the R&R, assuming you're working on ramps or jackstands.

Remove negative battery cable, THEN POSITIVE ONE. Do NOT leave either side connected (otherwise a short IS possible and you WON'T like it if you do!)

Unplug the pax side fan, unclip the wire, then remove the spider (the fan comes out with the spider.) Place aside.

Remove serpentine belt.

Disconnect compressor electrical connector and put aside so the wire to the clutch doesn't get damaged.
Loosen the A/C compressor bolts slightly.
Place large flat-blade screwdriver or socket extension on each of the two boltheads to get into enough clear space, hit with small hammer a couple of times (it doesn't take a lot of force.)
This will retract the sleeve that locks the compressor in place and now when you remove the bolts the compressor will drop right out. Put it on the upturned milk crate or similar you have ready for this purpose; don't hang it from the hoses!

Remove alternator electrical connections now that they're easy to get to.

Now loosen the alternator bolts slightly. Then do the same with THEM you did with the AC compressor bolts to retract the sleeves on the alternator. Then remove the bolts. The alternator will come right out -- no prying necessary. You need to rotate the lugs just right to clear the radiator and bracket on the way out, but it WILL clear.

Opposite order for replacement, obviously.

Two-beer (about an hour) job.

BTW the stealer wanted $1,200 to replace the alternator on a friend's ALH, as by the flat-rate book it's a hella-nice amount of time. I've done two others, plus a failed pulley on my car that I nursed home from *Michigan to Florida* as I couldn't get the it off in a friend's driveway using the correct tools (and thus had to pull the alternator and use my bench vise) since then and have yet to pull a front clip on any of them nor did I need to drain coolant or discharge the A/C. :)

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm gonna have to try that pry the sleeves out thing next time...I didn't think they would move...and yes, I fought them...but I won!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW the stealer wanted $1,200 to replace the alternator on a friend's ALH, as by the flat-rate book it's a hella-nice amount of time.
That's crazy... compared to a timing belt, it's a cake walk...

I throw the conspiracy flag to get old cars off the road...

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
I wish I would've read this post recently before I started... the hardest part for me was getting the ac compressor back in and that would've helped haha

mtn-wagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I wish I would've read this post recently before I started... the hardest part for me was getting the ac compressor back in and that would've helped haha
How did it go? Everything in? Noise gone on the belt?

Hint on the R&R, assuming you're working on ramps or jackstands.

Remove negative battery cable, THEN POSITIVE ONE. Do NOT leave either side connected (otherwise a short IS possible and you WON'T like it if you do!)

Unplug the pax side fan, unclip the wire, then remove the spider (the fan comes out with the spider.) Place aside.

Remove serpentine belt.

Disconnect compressor electrical connector and put aside so the wire to the clutch doesn't get damaged.
Loosen the A/C compressor bolts slightly.
Place large flat-blade screwdriver or socket extension on each of the two boltheads to get into enough clear space, hit with small hammer a couple of times (it doesn't take a lot of force.)
This will retract the sleeve that locks the compressor in place and now when you remove the bolts the compressor will drop right out. Put it on the upturned milk crate or similar you have ready for this purpose; don't hang it from the hoses!

Remove alternator electrical connections now that they're easy to get to.

Now loosen the alternator bolts slightly. Then do the same with THEM you did with the AC compressor bolts to retract the sleeves on the alternator. Then remove the bolts. The alternator will come right out -- no prying necessary. You need to rotate the lugs just right to clear the radiator and bracket on the way out, but it WILL clear.

Opposite order for replacement, obviously.

Two-beer (about an hour) job.

BTW the stealer wanted $1,200 to replace the alternator on a friend's ALH, as by the flat-rate book it's a hella-nice amount of time. I've done two others, plus a failed pulley on my car that I nursed home from *Michigan to Florida* as I couldn't get the it off in a friend's driveway using the correct tools (and thus had to pull the alternator and use my bench vise) since then and have yet to pull a front clip on any of them nor did I need to drain coolant or discharge the A/C. :)
This post is really helpful. That is a long way to drive on a failed pulley. I did end up getting the pulley replaced while on the car but had to brace the counterhold wrench against something in the engine to get enough torque for removal.