Fuel Filter O-Rings?

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
Yesterday, I was about to change my fuel filter as I have no idea when it was last changed. When I read the articles on the procedure, I saw a few people mentioning the need to replace o-rings each time the fuel filter is touched. I called my local VW dealer and they are no longer available for an MKIII Tdi. Does anyone know of a source or alternative?

Thanks,

h.ubk

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
I have two new filters that do not have o-rings. When I check the listings online and see pictures of what is included, it does not appear they have o-ring replacements either.

h.ubk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Filters should have the o-rings, it was the Mk4 cars that got the T fitting with the o-ring that needed to be replaced. I'm almost sure that the Mk3 filters all should come with a new o-ring.

If I get over to the garage tonight I will pull a new one and look at it.

Steve

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
Filters should have the o-rings, it was the Mk4 cars that got the T fitting with the o-ring that needed to be replaced. I'm almost sure that the Mk3 filters all should come with a new o-ring.
I e-mailed one of the sellers on eBay with a new filter and was told it did not come with o-rings.

I just ordered the HVAC o-rings. I would much rather do that than do business with the VW dealer again.

h.ubk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I e-mailed one of the sellers on eBay with a new filter and was told it did not come with o-rings.

I just ordered the HVAC o-rings. I would much rather do that than do business with the VW dealer again.

h.ubk
I had five Bosch filters within easy reach on the shelf and all had o-rings installed. These are new in the box filters.

I had one Bosch filter for a late Mk2 in the trunk of my Mk3 Jetta and it too had an o-ring installed.

IDK what brand filter you're buying but for Mk2 & Mk3 the o-ring is supposed to be on the filter from the manufacturer. For Mk4 cars the o-ring is in the thermal T and sometimes does require a replacement.

Steve

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I don't change filters very often but it seems to me the A4 filter included two o-rings in a little bag.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Here are pics of the filters I have reference to:

This is Mk3/B4 (and Mk2 type) filter with o-ring:

This is Mk4 type filter attachment, no-oring because it's on the thermo T fitting. As point of interest this beck arnley Mk4 filter came with no o-rings at all.

Steve

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry if I was not clear on this. My replacement filter has that o-ring. I was talking about the o-rings on the plastic return valve.

h.ubk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sorry if I was not clear on this. My replacement filter has that o-ring. I was talking about the o-rings on the plastic return valve.

h.ubk
Yeah, you should clarify that, the o-ring pictured is the only o-ring on the fuel filter.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You don't need o-rings, you need the correct filter.

If your filter has the o-ring like Steve posted, then that's all you need and have.

If you have the A4 fuel filter with the separate o-rings, then it won't work with your thermostatic-T, which is the plastic thing.

If yours is correct but leaking or introducing air, then grease the o-ring slightly or get a new thermostatic-T. I've seen the crack from age and-or people not being gentile when they remove them.

If you look up part number 191127247A, you'll see there is no other o-ring than the one on the fuel filter already.

Good luck.

Last edited:

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
I did the job and as mentioned I was able to just use the single o-ring provided on the fuel filter.

Thanks,

h.ubk

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
When I pull the engine to transplant into a Samurai, I will definitely be looking at something like that.

Thanks,

h.ubk

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
Because a lot of the VW engineering needs to be re-engineered in order to not break.

h.ubk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Because a lot of the VW engineering needs to be re-engineered in order to not break.

h.ubk
I can appreciate that someone might want better filtration but really the factory system is fine.

As for re-engineering because of breakage or the potential for it, this whole thread was about something that was never broken to begin with.

Steve

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree. I think I may be venting about other VW issues. It actually was a very easy job.

h.ubk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
because clear brittle fuel lines along with expensive half ass'ed poor filtrating filters and air bubbles due to leaks, 3 filters in and the mod pays for its self and provides much better water and debris filtration and the filters are PLENTIFUL vs the dying MK3 era parts supply.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Mk3 fuel filters are plentiful. The factory clear lines are robust and still going strong 20+ years later, not brittle but they were never meant to tie into a knot. I can show you IP's with well over 400k that are still great and not close to being worn out, so the factory filter is just fine, along with being damn near bulletproof. It also doesn't restrict flow like other 'high efficiency' filters.

If you have air leaks, fix the issue rather than using a band-aid.

Just because you are incapable of fixing simple items and want to half-ass your own car doesn't mean it's good advice.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Mk3 fuel filters are plentiful. The factory clear lines are robust and still going strong 20+ years later, not brittle but they were never meant to tie into a knot. I can show you IP's with well over 400k that are still great and not close to being worn out, so the factory filter is just fine, along with being damn near bulletproof. [bold] It also doesn't restrict flow like other 'high efficiency' filters.[/bold] ...
I have wondered whether the high filtration filter systems might perhaps cause early demise of an IP due to requiring too much work by the internal lift pump.

It stands to reason that if you're reducing the openings in the filter media that it might make pulling fuel more difficult.

At this point I'm pretty happy with the factory setup and as you said, the Mk3 and B4 (also Mk2) diesel filters are plentiful.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Mk3 fuel filters are plentiful. The factory clear lines are robust and still going strong 20+ years later, not brittle but they were never meant to tie into a knot. I can show you IP's with well over 400k that are still great and not close to being worn out, so the factory filter is just fine, along with being damn near bulletproof. It also doesn't restrict flow like other 'high efficiency' filters.

If you have air leaks, fix the issue rather than using a band-aid.

Just because you are incapable of fixing simple items and want to half-ass your own car doesn't mean it's good advice.

I fail to see how a nictane uber kit is halfassed. Also the filters used commonly with this mod are used on semi trucks that use "100x" the fuel flow. Much higher quality filters. I can go pick these filters up for like $10 bucks, vs the $30 or so you get the VW filters and i can pick them up local at any shop almost anywhere in the world if need be vs having to go to a VW dealership most of the time, these filters are some what going out of stock at some local box stores but when there instock there nearly 2x the price. Ill stick with my cat filter.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Last four Bosch factory type filters I purchased were less than $10 per and I never have to buy one off the shelf locally because I tend to order them up when I order multiples of Mann or Mahle oil filters.

I'm just not as enthused about creating more chaos in the engine compartment when real estate in there is already at a premium.

Steve