Cold Air Intakes

Friar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5spd
Hi all!
I'm interested in a cold air intake for my 1999 'TDI-bug". Does anyone have any wisdom to share around this?

Thanks
Alan

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Friar said:
Hi all!
I'm interested in a cold air intake for my 1999 'TDI-bug". Does anyone have any wisdom to share around this?
Hi, Alan. I know the Mk4 Golf and Jettas are equipped with pressurized cold air intake systems as they roll off the assy line. Maybe the NB is different :confused:

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
As far as I know, the TDIs are all equiped with essentially a cold air intake system. They don't pull air from the engine bay...they pull air from the fender area. Talk to Vik, though...he had one of those cone filter things on his car. He liked it as far as I remember.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
LNXGUY said:
The only thing a CAI is doing to improve is the sound. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
+1.

I share the same sentiment. I need some kind of tangible benefit when spending my first $1 on "upgrades". An increase in ambient noise doesn't qualify :cool:

auto_tech

Vendor
TDI
SOLD - 2001 Jetta blue; 2016 Jetta 1.4TSI 5spd
if you do decide on a CAI, pay attention to the quality of the filter. There's costly parts downstream from the air cleaner that rely on clean air. (MAF, turbo, engine).

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
LNXGUY said:
The only thing a CAI is doing to improve is the sound. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
beg to differ...:p

on my car...I had noted better full throttle and part throttle response, noted by my guage and road tests :D

swapping them out for weeks at a time b4 finally settling on my setups.

summer setup was fed from the front bumper location
winter setup had the ram piping removed as underhood air was cold enough, actually blocked off my FMIC during the winters aswell.

driving with my stock air box vs after market CAI ( of various designs ) I'd use them again ( if designed properly) ;)

my $0.02

WORBC

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle
Vik F said:
beg to differ...:p

on my car...I had noted better full throttle and part throttle response, noted by my guage and road tests :D

swapping them out for weeks at a time b4 finally settling on my setups.

summer setup was fed from the front bumper location
winter setup had the ram piping removed as underhood air was cold enough, actually blocked off my FMIC during the winters aswell.

driving with my stock air box vs after market CAI ( of various designs ) I'd use them again ( if designed properly) ;)

my $0.02
Which one do you use? I'm looking to replace my OEM with something.

--terry

Friar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5spd
Thanks for your input guys...

Thank you for your comments and observations...
I guess I'll just stick with the stock setup and save my $$
for other upgrades which may provide more "driving experience".

Thanks again. :)
Alan

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Alan, a set of nozzles will put a smile on your face and not make a big dent in your wallet. More HP and better fuel economy, it is probably the perfect mod for these engines :)

Good luck!!!

WORBC

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle
LNXGUY said:
Alan, a set of nozzles will put a smile on your face and not make a big dent in your wallet. More HP and better fuel economy, it is probably the perfect mod for these engines :)

Good luck!!!
I totoally agree! The SPrint 520s made a world of difference in addition to the rocketchip stage III.

My only interest in the air intake is because I have the upper stress bar installed and I have to take it off each time I need to check or change the air filter.

Good luck Alan!

--terry

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I have sprint 520s also and made a world of difference. I feel the power increase from first right to fifth. Well worth the bit of cash

nff405599

TDI
2010 Jetta
Thanks for the excellent advice on the CAI systems. I should have read further before I posted my question.
Butch