Installing multiple oil sensors on 2000+ engines ?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
How have people installed multiple oil sensors on the post 1999 1.9L and 2.0L TDI engines?

My experience with these is there is a single sensor on the oil filter flange that is normally taken up by the OE pressure sender [It is "standard" VDO 0 to 10 bar right?], and a blanked off port on the side of the head next to the coolant flange. Occasionally I have seen two ports on the filter flange, one for oil temp.

In my upcoming TriStar CBEA project, I want to be able to monitor dynamic oil pressure with a VDO gauge [sensor 1], 0.3 and 0.9 bar switches [sensors 2 and 3] for the factory Volkswagen Dynamic oil pressure system and oil temperature [sensor 4].

For the pressures, I think one way of doing this is with a T of an F connector. Anyone have a handy source for something like this? I know if I get the VDO switch it does have the 0.3 bar and 0 to 10 bar poles on it but it is rather large.

Temperature needs to be as close to the source as possible so it's only dedicated hole.

On this subject - where is the most meaningful locations for these sensors. I would assume the cylinder head for pressure and the filer housing for temperature?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I installed my oil pressure gauge feed on the front of the block..where the oil gallery is capped with plug. It was a while ago now but I think I had tapped it with a 5/8"NF and used a crush washer with a small AN fitting. It passed just to the inside of the timing belt. It gives you a true reading of pressure at delivery. If that is a little to serious of a job than what you want I would just a Tee at the filter housing.

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
temp sensor requires oil to flow past it.. so filter housing.. the end of head can feed oil pressure via a t..

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
For my BHW I have a T at the oil filter housing for the oil pressure and replaced my drain plug with a temp sensor. Works fine.

Then installed VDO gauge set that fits in a single din slot for oil temp and pressure as well as a turbo boost gauge. I also bought the blue LED lights from ECS for it to match the Passat gauges. Took out the double din factory radio, installed a single din radio on top with the gauges below.