My Corrado G60 to AHU swap.

greasyrides

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf - sold, 1990 Corrado TDI - sold :(
On my Corrado I was able to use all stock intercooler pipes with very minimal modification. I'm using the G60 intercooler, a slim fan, and I have AC.
The specific pipes I used are:

• 1991 Corrado G60 Boost Tube Intercooler to Intake: 535 145 770A

• Rubber Hose Intercooler to Intake: 535 145 832A (can be replaced with a 2" to 2.5" reducing elbow with 6" legs.

• 1990 Corrado G60 Boost Tube Intercooler to Charger: (I don't have the part number handy)
  • Passat boost tube: 3A0 145 858 (modified just slightly and connected to the aluminum pipe coming from the turbo)
  • These last two pipes are connected using a 2" to 2.5" reducer.

There are a few more pictures in my picasa web album, but I think I was more picture happy with getting my AC installed than the boost pipes.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111943754142955149138/CorradoTDIBuild?authuser=0&feat=directlink

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Diesel Geek used the same IC pipe routing IIRC. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The Grandaddy of all TDI Corrados:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my lower Passat/Corrado Radiator Hose:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
Bumping this- no updates, grad classes on top of work are really kicking my butt, poor car is just sitting there...

Will be dropping some money on the final parts I need after Xmas, and hopefully have time for it between semesters. Decided to go for a larger wastegate turbo!

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Bumping this- no updates, grad classes on top of work are really kicking my butt, poor car is just sitting there...

Will be dropping some money on the final parts I need after Xmas, and hopefully have time for it between semesters. Decided to go for a larger wastegate turbo!
Sounds good! I have a kit ready for you to pick up maybe even take a test drive in the GTDI...

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good! I have a kit ready for you to pick up maybe even take a test drive in the GTDI...
Sweet! I'd actually love to drive the GTDI since its a somewhat similar setup I was already (mostly unintentionally) planning! (Well, same nozzles, now the same turbo since I'm getting those from you...And more stuff thats in the back of my mind.) Not sure I'll make it up there before the roads get salted - so if the car is away I'll understand. Classes will likely be intensifying for the next month!

Anyway - my current plans are:
- Bosio PowerPlus 764 Injector Nozzles (have)
- 11mm Injection Pump (have)
- FMIC
- Turbo- going with a GT2052 like GTiTDi
- Tune
- Sachs VR6 Clutch (have)
- Quaife diff? (have in the tranny that came in the car, still deciding if I want to swap it over/have someone do it for me) Input?
- Other Suggestions?

Like I said earlier in the thread I'm not 100% on this engine, so I might work some of these in over time, but I currently have 2 full AHU's sitting in the garage (one with tapping valves, needs a rebuild) so I have some backup parts to work with!

Currently, however, I have an assload of other parts to get rid of- namely from a G60 engine and a half. Anyone need anything?!

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Its been far too long since I've updated!

I got the dash in but haven't finished installing all of the gauges in and switches. I pulled the engine back out a few weeks ago and put it on the stand before finishing up graduate classes for the semester got in the way again.

I sold off a bunch of Corrado parts and some spare TDI parts that I've had kicking around - trying to minimize my hoard because I haven't decided if I'm going into the Navy yet, and if I do I won't have much time to get rid of stuff.

I cleaned up the engine bay today and installed the GT 2056W that I picked up a few months back. I have a Peoliquin differential on the way that GTiTDi will be installing for me at his shop! I have the machinists at work modding a spare IP bracket, engine cover plate, and IP sprocket in their spare time for a case-of-beer trade :D so that I can mount my 11mm ALH IP. GTiTDi will also be pop testing the PP 764's once I get them installed in the injectors.

I'm wavering back and forth on what/how to do an intercooler setup. I'm wondering if the stock G60 or AHU SMIC will be sufficient, or if I should try and get a FMIC setup - though I'm thinking I'd really dislike the bucktooth look that can come with them. I've tossed around the idea of an AWIC, thinking I could make a small radiator fit in the front left corner in front of the AC condenser and Radiator, and a 1 gallon reservoir where the stock G60 inter cooler goes. I don't think I really want the additional complexity or to have to relocate the battery. Decisioin decision.

Pics from today:
Messy garage behind the engine

Injectors ready for a swap

Quit early to grill, priorities, I know

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The G60 intercooler is restrictive, but it was designed for an engine that flows a lot more CFM than a TDI. Doing a FMIC and A/C on a corrado is a huge challenge. If a/c isn't required then go buy a rallye FMIC.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Differential showed up today! Shop at work has been slammed so my brackets still aren't completed.

I ordered a dash vent repair kit because the vents don't move together, buy will be putting the dash together before I receive that I think.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Well so since Chris is laid up with a minor injury, I tried to tackle the differential install this weekend. Everything went pretty well except for a few hang ups and runs to the store for things I was missing.

I didn't finish though- I'm stuck trying to pull the bearing races for the old differential without raining the flange gaskets. Any suggestions? Special tool? Brute force?

If I manage to pull this off in my own I'll basically have done all of the build myself (minus stuff like getting those brackets machined) which is really something id like to pull off.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Good work kelsey, however I don't think you can get those races out unless you have a long thin punch....why not replace the flange seals? They weren't part of the kit?

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Good work kelsey, however I don't think you can get those races out unless you have a long thin punch....why not replace the flange seals? They weren't part of the kit?
Its certainly taking me longer than someone who has done this before :D But I really do enjoy the learning experience. Plus I sort of halfassed the drilling of the rivets and payed for it by having to hammer them twice as long :cool: That wore me out.

I'm thinking I will go ahead and replace the flange seals, unfortunately they weren't part of the kit - though I would have gladly paid more if they had been. I'm just conflicted about what exactly they are! This thread from earlier this year leads me to believe they are just these (or these, but idparts is closer) - it appears to me that they are just the flanges without the seals, which are said to be included...

Thoughts? Lousy lighting pic from my phone, but the flanges are visible.

Edit: Just went and pulled a seal, Flange is ~66mm OD, 62mm ID (on the seal side). Seal is ~62mm OD, 48mm ID. Thinking I might have to ask idparts for confirmation.

Last edited:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and I forgot how much I REALLY hate the smell of transmission fluid. Thus far I have used this thread and this thread for help with the transmission work. I started without an air wrench and got about 4 steps into it before I changed my mind about that (that was set back #1 and led to setbacks #2-5 procuring the necessary air tools and fixing my grandfather's compressor) as I was unable to loosen the T60 bolts at the top of the transmission without an air wrench.

GTiTDi

TDI
Yeah I have been getting quite a bit done despite then injury to my hand, I have eager helpers who have been waiting for the moment where I can't do everything myself! I am actually typing with both hands today :D
Had those seals in stock, as well as the air power to remove the T60s

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Gah - next time I'll bite the bullet and do the driving instead of the skinning of my knuckles, but it is gratifying to do it myself (or try!) Is that part I tagged from IDparts correct? Gonna get it on order tomorrow and hope to get it wrapped up in fits and starts by Friday.

Still need to get those injectors pop tested when I bring the pedal cluster up!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great progress :)

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
I love how you call taking apart a functioning transmission progress!

Busy last night and helping a coworker assemble the bumper on his old Lincoln tonight, hoping to get those races knocked out and the new ones pressed in tomorrow.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I cleaned up the engine bay today and installed the GT 2056W that I picked up a few months back. I have a Peoliquin differential on the way that GTiTDi will be installing for me at his shop! I have the machinists at work modding a spare IP bracket, engine cover plate, and IP sprocket in their spare time for a case-of-beer trade :D so that I can mount my 11mm ALH IP. GTiTDi will also be pop testing the PP 764's once I get them installed in the injectors.
I'm wavering back and forth on what/how to do an intercooler setup. I'm wondering if the stock G60 or AHU SMIC will be sufficient, or if I should try and get a FMIC setup - though I'm thinking I'd really dislike the bucktooth look that can come with them. I've tossed around the idea of an AWIC, thinking I could make a small radiator fit in the front left corner in front of the AC condenser and Radiator, and a 1 gallon reservoir where the stock G60 inter cooler goes. I don't think I really want the additional complexity or to have to relocate the battery. Decisioin decision.
The SMIC does run hot but is adequate for typical use. Front mount intercoolers usually mess up the bumper or require changing the Corrado's good looks. I am planning to go to an AWIC. I have a BMW transmission cooler for the radiator and am going to use the SMIC as a reservoir/auxiliary radiator. I believe a small intercooler will fit without moving the battery. You can mock one up out of a couple 12 pack boxes.

Maybe the best FMIC option:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the great information, that is the look I would be going for with the FMIC- i I don't want the bucktooth look. I just need to knuckle down and do my research to figure out the sizing and how much rebar (read: bumper integrity) I would have to sacrifice I do it.

I was trying to figure out how much I would have to be worried about heat soak, etc with a AWIC and I realized that I could live with that potential in the summer since the car can probably sit in the garage at work and new england really isn't that hot... This is just something I'm not ready to make a decision on yet - still working in it!

Again, thanks for your input - any more details greatly appreciated!

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
You're welcome. You can also just replace a section of the piping for the SMIC with a small straight AWIC. This way you can use both systems and not lose too much space.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
A good bit of progress considering how little time I put into the car this weekend (had company) - got the races out midweek and tapped the new ones in place yesterday AM. Had he transmission 85% assembled and realized that the differential was loose despite the fact that I checked to see if I need the differential bearing race shim. Pulled it apart this morning, got it squared away and I'm back at the same place I got to yesterday.

Issue: I've seen the diagram and fitted these inserts for the gear selector, and clicked it correctly so they can go on, but I must be missing an order of operation because I can't seem to get them together without them falling off and into the transmission... Yeah that's fun. Lesson learned, plug the gear selector hole with a rag. Any quick links for this assembly procedure?

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, didn't really update this. Transmission was back together long ago, note- 12+13+14 need to be assembled without being installed in the transmission:

Did some wiring/dash work this past weekend. I bought a Pioneer SPH-DA100 before they stopped selling them - commonly known as the App Radio 2, and started wiring up the basic interfaces (sub might come later) - got it running and shorted a fuse before I could get electrical tape on my solder - installed another one and did a few more things... and the radio wouldnt turn on. Went through a litany of potential issues before I realized that the power line was was being current limited by the (slightly) corroded fuse - failing to provide the full voltage, but not blowing since it wasnt maxed out. Grrrr....

So by that time, it was late, and I didn't feel like rewiring all of the speakers. so thats where it sits - dash is ready to be assembled.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Update - I went on vacation and came back and had my birthday and that was awesome :D

Made myself a braided turbo oil return line from some Edelbrock -10AN SS hose. That went smoothly and hopefully won't leak (the old one I recieved with my turbo setup was Nitrile on the inside but neoprene on the outside and obviously leaked a ton since the crimps weren't solid - not good.)

GTiTDi installed the PP764's in a spare set of injectors for me and got those sorted out - they came back in the mail today and I went to install them and.... couldn't get injectors 2 & 3 out of the engine. So now I'm waiting on getting my hands on a slide hammer - anyone in the southern RI area? I'll check Napa/Autozone parts loans tomorrow and ask around at work.

Traded a complete AHU SMIC intercooler + piping setup for an FMIC setup + piping from someone on here and got that in the mail today as well... Holy hell, the FMIC is huge! 3"Wx8"Tx24.5"L. It won't fit without significant cutting. I have the front end of the car mocked up with the rebar removed, so I'll keep fiddling with that tomorrow.

Lastly - it seems as if the shop at work won't be getting to my 11MM pump bracket for the time being. I'm hoping to re-install the engine this weekend, so I might just hold off on that. My predicament is not wanting to have to get a tune now and then get another one when I get around to that change - any suggestions?

GTiTDi

TDI
Update - I went on vacation and came back and had my birthday and that was awesome :D

Made myself a braided turbo oil return line from some Edelbrock -10AN SS hose. That went smoothly and hopefully won't leak (the old one I recieved with my turbo setup was Nitrile on the inside but neoprene on the outside and obviously leaked a ton since the crimps weren't solid - not good.)

GTiTDi installed the PP764's in a spare set of injectors for me and got those sorted out - they came back in the mail today and I went to install them and.... couldn't get injectors 2 & 3 out of the engine. So now I'm waiting on getting my hands on a slide hammer - anyone in the southern RI area? I'll check Napa/Autozone parts loans tomorrow and ask around at work.

Traded a complete AHU SMIC intercooler + piping setup for an FMIC setup + piping from someone on here and got that in the mail today as well... Holy hell, the FMIC is huge! 3"Wx8"Tx24.5"L. It won't fit without significant cutting. I have the front end of the car mocked up with the rebar removed, so I'll keep fiddling with that tomorrow.

Lastly - it seems as if the shop at work won't be getting to my 11MM pump bracket for the time being. I'm hoping to re-install the engine this weekend, so I might just hold off on that. My predicament is not wanting to have to get a tune now and then get another one when I get around to that change - any suggestions?
Shoulda come and had those injectors installed too I guess ;) (I have an injector specific slide hammer)

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
If I paid to have most work done for me I'd be short changing my tool collection!

whoabeats

TDI
98 RIP, 00 chugging along
Ive got a ghetto slide hammer that I made myself that you are welcome to use. It does the trick for my cummins and my tdi's. When I pulled the sticks out of my ahu. I couldnt believe how tight some of them were in there so I went ahead and made the tool with some threaded rod, some nuts, washers and a welder.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Know what works good for a nut to weld to a slide hammer? The tube nut from the oil feed line if you have one laying around from a turbo change, it's the right threads and longer then a regular nut

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive got a ghetto slide hammer that I made myself that you are welcome to use. It does the trick for my cummins and my tdi's. When I pulled the sticks out of my ahu. I couldnt believe how tight some of them were in there so I went ahead and made the tool with some threaded rod, some nuts, washers and a welder.
Hey, thanks for the offer- I guess I should have update! NAPA does a free slide hammer loan as part of their tool borrowing program! Picked that up yesterday after work and headed straight to the hardware store- the hammer takes a 5/8-18 and the injector top is an M14x1.50. The guys at work tacked it together for me today:

Total cost: $2.10 (since the hardware store was out of the cheap M14's)