www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old March 9th, 2017, 02:42   #46
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Well I couldn't sleep and nothing but reruns and infomercials on the telly. So I went ahead with resealing the pump.
So quick guide on how to take apart your pump, possibly ruin it (I have yet to install and try it), and put it back together.
Once you take the back cover off (4 13mm bolts), you see the end of this shaft. The stator may or may not come out with the end cover, depending on how sticky your fluid is. Mine came off with the cover. If you look down to where the veins are, you see a circlip. Remove it. Slide the pump shaft out of the housing.
This is the shaft and the veins

And this is the pump side of things

Had no idea what was going on inside, here... so let's look

... not much. Couple orings to replace
Dirty, filthy leaking shaft seal. In this case, both ends were leaking, the shaft side and the back cover.

Need a 27mm to remove the... ummm let's call it a pressure regulator?

Get the old seal out without damaging the housing. You can use a seal puller or in my case I used a small pry bar (think 'bent flathead' almost) to drive out the seal from the back side.

And we're ready for the parts washer... I wasn't about to glass bead the housing or anything that extreme. This is not a restoration like some of my other cars.
The spring and the plunger is what's under the 27mm 'pressure regulator' I mentioned earlier. No orings or anything else in there.

But this guy gets new orings:

Going back together
Old March 9th, 2017, 02:43   #47
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

And done!

So this is what was replaced... plus the squarish-shaped oring on the end cover, I forgot to include it in the pic. In the previous pic you can imagine where it would go to seal the end cover. So six out of 7 seals in total were replaced. The only one I didn't replace was the return line. It wasn't bad and I didn't have a replacement of the correct size anyways. Remember, VW or anyone else for that matter doesn't offer a seal kit for these pumps, so I wasn't overly disappointed that the return line seal wasn't the right one.

Important note, make sure you clean the shaft really well, it will be all rusty where the pulley flange is. That rust MUST be cleaned off, else you will ruin your brand new seal when you go to put the circlip back on the shaft. You will push the shaft up so you can seat the circlip, and the rust will ruin your new seal. So clean it!! I washed everything in the parts washer then used 400 grit paper to polish that part of the shaft. If you have a super high mileage pump, it is possible that the shaft will be worn away (from a very aged and hard seal) in which case a new seal won't fix your issue. Time for a new pump if that's your situation.

Last edited by bbarbulo; March 9th, 2017 at 02:48.
bbarbulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:06   #48
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarbulo View Post
Oh, so if anyone in the future is using this as reference, please note the above pic I had the stator wrong in all kinds of ways. For one, the pins you see on the cover can in no way line up with where they should go. That's because the stator is upside down and backwards LOL. See the #7 stamped into it, that should be facing toward the front of the pump, not facing the camera. And the holes for the alignment pins that are at 1 and 7 oclock in the picture? ... yeah they should be at 11 and 5 more or less... aligned with the bolt holes.
Old March 9th, 2017, 23:19   #49
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Old dead coilover, not quite sure how the grommet around the brake line got to look like that...

Coilover replaced with a good one, albeit slightly seized collar though

Also the flex line replaced AND the brake line grommet is replaced. Much better.

oh what the ... abs sensor lines. I dunno, I'll say that's on me since I was replacing the strut, but really what the heck.

depinned the connector, prepped with some filing and some solder

and ready to go back in the connector.

Hence my question in the 101 forum, since the lines pulled out from the pins clean. The lines naturally seem to wanna fall black on top, green on the bottom. So that's how I put them back

But to answer my own question, polarity doesn't matter on an ABS sensor. I was thinking about it, the sensor MUST generate voltage. So being reversed in polarity would just cause a 180 degree phase shift. The amplitude of the wave and the frequency would stay the same. And I suspect the frequency is what the ABS computer looks at.
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:15   #50
Dieselmonkey02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48-50 avg. 44 lowest 51.5 highest

Worst case you'll have to switch the wires
Dieselmonkey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 14:26   #51
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

couldn't get a seal on one of the rear calipers on the bleeder that was stuck, so I replaced both rears with 41mm units. have yet to bleed the brakes, I was so cold yesterday doing it outside there was no way I was getting involved in bleeding anything.

might try the front dr side coilover today, it's still really cold but I think I can do it quick.
Old March 12th, 2017, 22:46   #52
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Dr side coilover done, brake hardline grommet also done, upper strut bearing cleaned and regreased

before cleaning

going to need a new one of these...

and a new inner tie rod; thanks tow truck driving asshats!! they must have used the inner tie rod to tie down the car or to pull the car up on the flatbed.

I thought the alignment felt way off when I first drove the car...
Old March 21st, 2017, 22:05   #53
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

reporting back about the power steering pump rebuild. weather finally let up again today so i put in the pump i rebuilt a couple weeks back. BAM! stone cold quiet! beautiful thing. So that's resolved.

then I did an oil change, found the car had a fram filter in it replaced that with a Mann and some Penzoil EuroSyn 0W40

then I wiped up everything what I thought was an oil leak from the oil power steering pump, turns out it's diesel. looks like it's coming off the bottom of the IP. But it's a LOT of diesel and I don't lose prime. so I'm a little stumped. gonna take my spare 11mm pump and see what's down on the underside that could potentially leak, then inspect carefully with a mirror on the car and see what's up.

Car is up all 4s so I can hopefully bleed the brakes next time we have decent weather. Supposed to be below freezing again tomorrow.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:12   #54
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Bled the brakes and gave a couple of the cars a wash today despite the rotten weather

couple of days ago:

today:

the 4th rim has a pretty bald tire on it... gotta get a new set of tires for these rims.
Old March 28th, 2017, 00:53   #55
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

put in work today: it was time to get that driver side spindle sorted out. remember, both caliper mounting holes were messed up and helicoiled. That doesn't please me. So I sourced a new spindle casting. Needed a new inner tie rod end because of asshat tow truck drivers. Lastly, inner axle boot is torn.

bent inner tie rod

straight inner tie rod installed

SAVAGE!! broke 2 13 mm wrenches holding the inner tie rod from spinning while trying to remove the outer tie rod end. wasn't going to risk any snap-on wrenches, so ended up using a big adjustable to hold the inner tie rod - also took propane heat.

Axle ready to come out

Tomorrow, axle rebuild and reassembly are on the menu...
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:03   #56
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

on another (sad) note, I've listed the car up for sale.

I'm the right owner for it to get the car back into shape; but I'm not the right owner for it long term. I have too many cars and most of them I don't even drive. So if I was to keep it, it would likely never get driven again - and really, I want to see this thing DRIVING and showing off lol

I was on the fence about keeping it and making it my new daily driver, but it's too nice of a car for me... or... that's not even it... I can't describe it... I don't REALLY wanna give up my current daily cuz I'm trying to rack up miles on that car so I can see it hit 700K or more. And someone else can really enjoy this one, so I've decided to put it up for sale. Anyways, just a side-story I wanted to get off my chest cuz I'm torn about it. I get attached to my cars when I put in work, but 10 cars is just too many; some may argue 9 too many and I'd be hard pressed to logically argue that point.
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:26   #57
FlexYJeeper

TDI(s): MKIV Golf

sad to see you're selling it. im jealous on how good your paint looks!
FlexYJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 21:11   #58
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

thanks FlexY! the paint does shine nice - I treated it to a good ol' polish and wax first chance I had. Sure, there are a couple of nicks here and there, but not bad for an older car.

ya, I'm sad too but it's the right thing to do. needs to drive and drive a LOT now that it's back in proper working condition. this thing was quite neglected over the 4 or so years that the PO had it. I just today had a chance to actually feel comfortable driving it. I tried previously and turned myself around because I felt it wasn't wise to drive it.

I reassembled the axle with new boot, put in the replacement spindle, and all is well. Need to fine tune the alignment since inner and outer tie rod was replaced.

I still want to do rear shocks and new tires, but since it's already listed - maybe I'll just knock a bit off the price if they want it like ... today LOL Quite a few people asking about it already, hopefully someone gets a chance to come see this gem soon.
Old March 29th, 2017, 21:35   #59
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Today I did some minor interior work, PO seemed to thing this was a formal dining room or something. The center console area and everything under the cupholders was a toxic mess. I pulled everything out, washed, vacuumed. The soft touch is a disaster. I stripped all of it on dad's car and painted everything piano gloss black, but I haven't the time to do it on this car. At least not at the moment...
Old April 6th, 2017, 23:06   #60
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

Well, did do more work - but that's all moot now. Loaded on a trailer and went with the new owner today. Bittersweet moment

New owner is cool though, I think he will enjoy the car and take good care of it.